Practicing, FINALLY

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Practicing, FINALLY

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:55 pm

We've been in deep drought all spring and summer, and the kids haven't wanted to light up the grill even in our own back yard after the local forest fires and evacuation. So I haven't been able practice with my new cast iron.

:(

However, we've had 7/10 of an inch of rain over the past few days (yes, that IS a lot here), so tonight we brought out the grills. I used the small one to put the DO in, five briquettes under, seven on the lid. The big one I used to first cook off the wax on the brat iron (and the waffle iron we otherwise didn't use), and then to cook the brats and the beans.

Here's dessert cooking

Here's dinner

Here's the nicely browned brats coming out of the iron

And the chocolate cake out of the DO and parchment. It's a bit wonky, but tasty!

That was fun. Got to finish the trailer and try it in the campground!

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:21 am

WOW, 7/10th of an inch of rain. We just had 14" in a 12 hour period. I was cooking a cobbler for dessert when it started. The DO is a fun tool for cooking just about anything. Glad you were able to get out and use it. Maybe you could hose down the area around where you cook to make the kids feel safer when you cook. Good luck finishing your build.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron