Suggestions on 1st Camp Dutch Oven?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:50 am

heh heh

another hooked on the DO juice.

a 12inch deep oven is a great starter oven and you can use a trick that my sister and I did at a cook off to make smaller different dishes in the same oven. We used a cast iron loaf pan inside the oven for a dish and a different dish in the main part. We almost won that cook off, and it was a fairly large one but one of the judges thought we cheated. After the winners was announced he realized he made a mistake and apologized profusely. Oh well water under the bridge, we know we won, don't need no stinkin badge to remind us.

One of the best dump type cakes i made was with some fresh peaches. Slice and peal some real peaches not those dry pithy things that I can't gag down. Put the slices in a ziplock bag add some sugar. how much? I don't know, enough I guess. Let that stew in its own juice for a few hours or so. Mix up some white cake batter, pour it in the DO then put the peaches and the juice that develops on the top to settle to the bottom.

yum yum

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Lazybones » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:09 am

Wow Harley and Barbara you have both jumped in with both feet! Very cool.

I look forward to trying your DO cooking at Ocean Cove Harley.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby DragonFire » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Suspicious Willits character!!! Hmmm...

I'm taking a break from painting the outside of the house...

I bought a pork roast (pork shoulder) and want to try that in the DO...Should help with the seasoning....

Yes, I'm hooked on the DO. I don't know how I did without it! I can't believe how well it cooks...it blends flavors like nothing else!! I want to try pizza over the weekend, too. But I have to find parchment first....

I kinda want to buy the one I saw at Winco, even thougnh it's made in China...and unseasoned. It's a good deal, and I could do the pork in that while baking a dump cake or cheesy potatoes in the other. All without paying high prices for natural gas (our stove is gas. and it's EXPENSIVE in Sacramento, unlike the Bay Area!!)

Now I just need to convince the guy in NV that I'm the one he needs to sell his Grasshopper to... 8)
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:45 pm

Hey, you just called me Barbara!!! Dang..I have so many names I didn't even realize it!
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Lazybones » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Barbara, I think CASH will convince the seller of the Grasshopper.

Buy the DO at winco.. Once you season it it will work just fine.. I have a couple of made in china DO's and they work fine if seasoned well.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby DragonFire » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Trust me...it's cash. I keep withdrawing so I can go to NV with the green..and I don't mean something folks here in Cali have a prescription for!!

Really??? Get the DO?? I feel bad since it's not made in America. But I'm a poor trailer/scooter person and unless I find one in a thrift, I probably won't get a second one soon.

I'm trying to justify spending the money on something I don't 'need' right now...but it would be handy to have the second one all ready to go when I have my Grasshopper :D
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

DO @ Winco> Just do it!

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:47 pm

8) Prescription coming soon for your bad cast of cast ironitis.... :lol:
Try looking for the parchment paper at a restaurant supply co. or kitchen specialty store. I bought a case of the stuff (and you can cut it down to size) over two years and it has lasted a long time. I have also purchased it in the box like Reynolds Wrap, so check the aisle where you'd find saran wrap, wax paper, foil, etc. Bon appetite!
Joanie :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Previous

Return to Cast Iron