Oval Camp Oven

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby Kevin A » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 pm

I see the lid has two gate marks, are there gate marks on the bottom of the pot as well? Looks like someone may have just used an old griddle for a lid.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

great pot and lid but

Postby doitright » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 pm

looks like you have a good find there. But look at the lid... That is what I can do for a lid on my pot. Your lid I think may be a griddle that goes in a wood stove you take out the two eyes and the center part and put down the griddle. At my wife's parents house they have one on the wall. I will go out there soon and see if it will fit on my pot. Thanks for the good photos now I will be able to cook in my pot as soon as I get the lid.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Here is a shot of the bottom There are gate marks. But the top appears to fit over the sides of the kettle pretty good.

Betsey, if you want to cook on it. I'll bring it for you to try!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:31 pm

OK, I asked over on the WAGS board too. The guys there said what I have is a Ham boiler. It fit down into a wood stove and the lid should be Tin. What this lid is actually a sad iron grill. Still cool...
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

pot

Postby doitright » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Hey if the lid fits use it try and see how it works. Now that you showed what you had for a lid that is what I am going to try. If it dose not have a tight fit I will use alum. foil to make it a tight fit. That is what I am going to do.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Lizbeth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:18 pm

I was going to tell you it is a ham cooker but I see someone already got to that. The top does appear to be a sad iron griddle but people did and will cook on them. I think it is interesting that they fit together just like they were made to...so maybe they were.

I love old cast iron and would have snatched that up in a heartbeat for $20.00!
Lizbeth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:50 pm

When I told my wife it was a Ham boiler , she said "Who boils ham?" Good question !
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:02 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:When I told my wife it was a Ham boiler , she said "Who boils ham?" Good question !

Guess you've never had a New England boiled dinner....sad.... :cry:

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lizbeth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:When I told my wife it was a Ham boiler , she said "Who boils ham?" Good question !

Back in the day when that ham boiler was made everyone did. Ham as we know it is not the same thing as it was then. Back the it was salted , smoked and dried, very dried. It was boiled to rehydrate and remove enough salt to make it edible.

mmmm, country ham and red eye gravy.
Lizbeth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Well I guess I should be glad I was born when I was. Lizbeth, you don't make ham sound very good . Boiled meat would be my last choice if it was on a menu, any menu!

Betsey I have been to a fish boil, but never a boiled ham boil!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:

NE Boiled Dinners either use corned beef or a smoked shoulder. It was a fairly inexpensive meal that got a lot of mileage.

Growing up, we always used ham. It also included potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage and any other root veggies you wanted, like turnips, rutabagas, and parsnips.

The leftover ham bone was used to make pea soup. Some of the leftover ham & veggies (sans the cabbage) were put through a meat grinder to make hash. This was always my job as a kid...to grind the meat & potatoes.

In addition to the boiled dinner, I make something similar with smoked sausage, potatoes, cabbage, onions & carrots. Use the liquid to make a mustard sauce to go with it. Much quicker version but still very tasty!

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 pm

OK Betsey you are starting to get my attention. I will bring the pot, you fix the dinner! :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mikka » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 am

Betsey wrote:
Woodbutcher wrote:

NE Boiled Dinners either use corned beef or a smoked shoulder. It was a fairly inexpensive meal that got a lot of mileage.

Growing up, we always used ham. It also included potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage and any other root veggies you wanted, like turnips, rutabagas, and parsnips.

The leftover ham bone was used to make pea soup. Some of the leftover ham & veggies (sans the cabbage) were put through a meat grinder to make hash. This was always my job as a kid...to grind the meat & potatoes.

In addition to the boiled dinner, I make something similar with smoked sausage, potatoes, cabbage, onions & carrots. Use the liquid to make a mustard sauce to go with it. Much quicker version but still very tasty!

Betsey 8)

These recipes reminds me of an old French Canadian recipe.
Beef meat (usually a blade roast 2" thick)
Salted pork
root veggies and yellow beans and corn
season with pepper

Brown the roast in oil, add salted pork cover with water and root veggies in order of longest to cook and ending with yellow beans and corn making sure there is always enough water in the pot to cover veggies.

Left over veggies can be reheated and eaten later (Re-heated cabbage covered with butter and pepper is out of this world)

Left over meat can be minced and turned into a shepherd pie!
Mikka
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Betsey » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 am

Woodbutcher wrote:OK Betsey you are starting to get my attention. I will bring the pot, you fix the dinner! :lol:

S'pose I could whip up a boiled dinner for Tears.... :thinking:

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:22 pm

Think on that a little longer....I have to get this thing from the MIL first. She lives 2 + hours away. Then I have to clean and season it somehow. But I will not let you forget. Maybe I can go get it over the tears weekend. She is only about an hour or so from the camp ground.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron