Gift Exchange for CI

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Gift Exchange for CI

Postby 8 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 pm

I received a Coleman LED Quad Lantern in the mail today as a gift. Only one local store sells it. Gander Mountain.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=419457&pdesc=Coleman_Quad_Lantern

So, since it is a gift, and I have no receipt (with no possibility of getting one), my options are keep it or get store credit. Since I have plenty of LED flashlights and and LED lantern already. I am thinking store credit.

So, what CI would YOU get with an $80 (approximate guesstimate) credit? Of course I am limited to Gander Mountain. I already have a 12" 6 quart camp oven and a 5 quart non-camp oven, plenty of smaller frying pans, a waffle iron, a pie iron, a press, a griddle, and a cornbread pan. I am leaning towards a larger 8 quart Lodge camp oven in either a 14" wide or a deeper 12" wide or maybe a Camp Chef DO table.

It is assumed that more will be spent than the credit so all the credit gets spent. Although if I do spend less I can always get a cheap fishing pole for my son. He turns 5 on Thursday and it is about time he learns to fish.
It's not fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Visit my blog ... http://www.64ox.com
Teardrop Advisor

here's why for me

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:40 pm

:thinking: Hmmmm....intriguing...
I say Pay it Forward. Since you already have an ample supply of CI, I'd use the $$ to buy your son a fishing pole. Then when you catch that first fish, you can take him back to camp and cook it up in the skillet you have already!
You get the gift of time with your son, the joy of fishing, and the good food you cook together, and most importantly. you are starting a tradition with the next generation. Since you originally got "it" as a gift, Pay It Forward & your greatest gift will be love.

That's my idea. But a dutch oven table is handy. :lightbulb:
* with some ingenuity & elbow grease (see Bobhenry's design) you could easily build one of your own and have lots of left over credit.
TDN
Last edited by The Teardrop Nanny on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby CARS » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:44 am

I agree with TDN.

How does that go? Give a man a fish.... Teach a man to fish....
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:57 am

I have a camp chef table and I really much prefer my home built D.O. table ...... :D

Yep ! I agree go fishin'
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:57 pm

If you have a Camp Chef 2 or 3 burner stove, get a griddle

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4005
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby 8 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 pm

Purchase made!

I signed up for email deals and they sent me a coupon code worth $20 off a $100 purchase. (good for one day, online only) I returned the lantern and got $79.99+tax credit which I used to buy a gift card which could be used online. I purchased a $99.99 Lodge 14" DO which would have come out perfect after getting $20 off but I was a penny short of the deal. So, I added a Rome popcorn popper for $20. The popcorn popper was the one item my son actually jumped out of the cart (kiddie car cart) and grabbed while we were in the store. And shipping was free.

I looked at the DO table while I was there and thought I would want something a little taller (I am 6'3") and wider and with taller wind screens.

So, in the end, I scored a free (gift) 14" 8 quart Lodge DO that will last a lot longer than the plastic lantern. And the next camping trip is only two weeks away.

As for the fishing pole, I will still pick something up where there are less choices.
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Maureenm » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks for the tip on the email deals. I had been planning on making a purchase online for their dining canopy and was able to use a $20 coupon to finally purchase a Dutch oven and I LOVE free shipping!
Maureen

:thumbsup:
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby 8 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:56 am

My shipment also had another coupon in the box good until Feb.

I successfully made a pizza in the new DO in the back yard. Next weekend we'll be in the woods.
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cast Iron