Reproduction Waffle Dog Irons

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: Reproduction Waffle Dog Irons

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:16 pm

I sent out a couple of emails today to folks that make and have similar things made. We'll see what response I get.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:48 pm

I sent an EMail to the folks at PieIron as they make a lot of products similar to the waffle dog iron. Here is their reply. I don't think it makes a difference as to whether the iron is aluminum or cast iron. Most waffle irons are cast iron.

I think we have a chance at getting an unlimited supply of waffle dog irons at a reasonable price. I'm guessing $25 or so when you look at the pricing of their other irons.

Hi Eric,

I appreciate you writing me about the waffle dog irons. As a manufacturer of pie irons I'm a big fan of any cooking device that makes "stuffed" food especially over a live fire. The old retro waffle dogs are very neat and it is something that I've been on my radar for quite a few years. We mostly work with cast iron these days instead of aluminum. Do you think that your friends in the vintage trailer scene would go for iron?

Best - Michael
f 800-936-7663
[email protected]

Open for comments.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby danlott » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm

eamarquardt wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Gus....I'd double think the hinge at the end of the iron.....................................

Here are my thoughts:

All waffle irons have the hinges at the opposite end of the iron from the handles.
All of the Pie Iron products have the hinges opposite the handles. http://www.pieiron.com/designs.htm
No matter where the hinges are, if you pour batter in both halves yer gonna have to be a bit creative in closing the iron while not spilling the batter out. Maybe a little bit more awkward with the hinges at the end but I don't think it's a that major a deal.
I've watched the videos of youse guys using the original waffle dog irons and seen the efforts, such as using vice grips, to keep the irons closed while in use. I think having the hinges opposite the handles would help a lot.
It does make the assembly twice as long when open but the closed length of the waffle iron would remain the same. I think the improvement in keeping the iron closed during use would be worth dealing with the additional length when open.
I agree being able to heat both sides at the same time is a plus but the waffle dog iron is the only item of this type that has that feature. You can't do that with the PieIron products or waffle irons (unless you take the waffle iron apart and heat the halves on two separate burners.

I'll poke around a bit more this week. Getting the castings ($50 a set) isn't a big deal. Then you have to add the handles,drill out the hinges, and rivet the halves together. I think having jigs would make doing a lot easier and ensure the job is done right but I don't have the energy to make em right now.

Cheers,

Gus

A little while back I messed around in SketchUp to come up with a design similar to what you are talking about. I did a 2 waffle dog and a 4 waffle dog version. I have attached pictures below. I believe that this could be printed with a 3D printer and then that could be used in the mould.

Does anyone on here have a 3D printer and want to try and print out these shapes?

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Re:

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:56 pm

eamarquardt wrote:
parnold wrote:
eamarquardt wrote:Here is a link to the waffle dog iron patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2696161.pdf

That looks like the electric version.

Sure does but that's the patent number on the manual version also. I think the patent is actually for the waffle pattern supporting the sausage shape.

Cheers,

Gus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_of_pa ... ted_States
For applications filed before June 8, 1995 and for patents that were still in force on June 8, 1995, the patent term is either 17 years from the issue date or 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. or international (PCT) application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications), the longer term applying.

The patent was dated 1954, so it expired in the early 70's.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby razorback » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Just my two cents.
I would buy two if they were just like the original design. Cast or aluminum would make no difference to me.
If you located the handles on the sides then what do you do on your stove if you have wind and the side flaps are in place?
I just think the original design is perfection. I have an original but would like to have a couple more.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:33 pm

razorback wrote:Just my two cents.
I would buy two if they were just like the original design. Cast or aluminum would make no difference to me. OK
If you located the handles on the sides then what do you do on your stove if you have wind and the side flaps are in place? A reasonable question. See answer to your next question.
I just think the original design is perfection. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. I think I'm perfect. Some don't agree. Think I'd prefer to have the handles opposite the hinge. It's a personal quirk. That said it would be easy and inexpensive to have bosses cast, drilled, and tapped at the ends as they currently are and on the sides opposite the hinges. That way you could choose where to install the handles and everyone could have it their way. I have an original but would like to have a couple more. Will fwd your thoughts.
Larry

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby razorback » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Simple solution that should solve the handle position for everyone.
LP
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:24 pm

I think I would prefer cast iron, it's harder (but not impossible) to damage by overheating. Thanks for pursuing this!

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Cast iron would be my preference. I would be in for 1-2 of them.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 pm

An advantage to the handles in the original position is that when you pour a batter only item, like a waffle stick, or any time you pour into both halves, you have a much smaller arc to move the handle through to close it up. Shorter arc means it closes much quicker and therefore less time for batter to drip out, and they store easier. FWIW. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

doug hodder wrote:An advantage to the handles in the original position is that when you pour a batter only item, like a waffle stick, or any time you pour into both halves, you have a much smaller arc to move the handle through to close it up. Shorter arc means it closes much quicker and therefore less time for batter to drip out, and they store easier. FWIW. Doug

Good point. Everything in life is a compromise. No compromise is perfect. The best you can hope for is a balanced compromise (and to die in your sleep).

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Another thought ... having bosses for the handles either way would easily differentiate the reproduction from the original. That way no one would be passing off a reproduction as an original on ebay (that would never happen would it?!) As far as material goes, I'm partial to iron (my cast iron pie iron is clearly superior to my aluminum one), but for $25 give or take ... I'm in for a few. I'd even be willing to make my own handles.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:01 pm

I replied to Michael at PieIron and shared that cast iron was fine with most folks. I also provided him a link to this string. I'll follow-up in a week or so and see how we can facilitate getting Waffle Dog Irons into production.

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:02 pm

eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby desertmoose » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:15 pm

While waiting for the irons to be made, you might try it this way.....

http://kitchenandkids.com/2011/02/01/waffle-dogs-huh/

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron