OOOPS

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

OOOPS

Postby Wanna Be » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:34 pm

HI,
Got a quick question for any body to answer.

My sister ran my castiron pan through the dishwasher, Boy was it shiney when it came out !!!!
I am now in the process of reseasoning it.
Now for the question, How long to let it cool before I can use it ????
How long to get it seasoned faster ???

ANY and all answers are a help !!!

Staysafe, and have fun !!!!

Wanna Be . ;)

Lynn
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Re: OOOPS

Postby Kevin A » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm

If it has any surface rust, I'd scrub it with vinegar to remove the rust, Rinse it in hot water and dry it off the best you can, Put it in the oven (200 degrees or so) long enough to get it good and dry, Rub a light film of Crisco on it and place it back in the oven (inverted so the crisco doesn't pool in the bottom) for an hour or so at 450-480 degrees, When finished, turn the oven off and let it cool to room temp in the oven. If it's not a shiny black finish, add another film of crisco and repeat the 450-480 for another hour.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Wanna Be » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks for the information !!!!

Sounds like I need to turn the temp up !!
350* for an hour now, guess that aint hot enough.

Problem is now supper is gonna be late.
No rust as I got to it just as dishwasher shut off.

Stay safe, and have fun !!!!!
Wanna Be . ;)

Lynn
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 pm

When seasoning for the first time (or to restart a pan) I oil and raise the temp just until the oil just starts to smoke, turn off the heat and let it cool very slowly until I can pick it up with my bare hands. Then repeat at least once before trying to cook with it (more is better.) The temperature required varies quite a bit with the choice of oil that you're using.

There is no way to replace the oil/heat/cool cycles that are needed for that perfect cast iron finish. It takes time, repetition, and regular use. It will take a while, but it will be back to the good ol' pan you're used to if you just keep using it ... and uh ... no more trips through the dishwasher. :R I hope you weren't too hard on your sister.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Return to Cast Iron