case for dutch oven.

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: case for dutch oven.

Postby tearhead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:18 pm

I have a black bag with handles--works great. Have to put the lid in the bottom of the bag first, so the feet of the DO don't poke through the fabric. Then set the DO in on top of the lid.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Camp-12-Inch-Dutch-Oven/dp/B0008G2W0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332724952&sr=8-1

This one isn't padded, but I don't think the padding is all that necessary. Cost is $21.39. It keeps the mess contained until you can get home and do a thorough cleaning. I've run the bag through the wash, too.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:37 pm

A body could go BROKE with all these accessories ! I jus got a DO fer Christmas... built a DO stand..got the charcoal chimney.. got the welders gloves... got the tongs( long handled ones)..need to git the lid puller off thangie.. need to git the lid stand.. NEED the DO bag !!! Then I need to practice cookin in the DO !!

Oh ! All the things to DO ! :?
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:25 pm

I just wrap mine with old bath towels, (after the towels have been washed) :R
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby asianflava » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:09 pm

There was a Sportsman's near my house in TX. Got all the Lodge camp ovens from 16in to 6in in regular and deep (except for the 16in) and the padded cases for them. I got things a piece at a time until I amassed my collection, it didn't hurt as much that way. Was browsing a store recently and it seems like the prices have gone up since I got mine.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Betsey » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Sportsman's carriers are cheaper than Lodge's & are actually better made.

I had Craig make a wood disk to fit in each of our DO carriers. Each disk has holes routed in it for the legs to sit in...problem of poking legs solved! It also can be used to set the DO on any surface.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:07 pm

tearhead wrote:I have a black bag with handles--works great. Have to put the lid in the bottom of the bag first, so the feet of the DO don't poke through the fabric. Then set the DO in on top of the lid.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Camp-12-Inch-Dutch-Oven/dp/B0008G2W0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332724952&sr=8-1

This one isn't padded, but I don't think the padding is all that necessary. Cost is $21.39. It keeps the mess contained until you can get home and do a thorough cleaning. I've run the bag through the wash, too.

To solve the feet poking... I cut out a few layers of packing foam sheets, glued it together with construction adhesive, then poked holes for the legs. The feet never touch the bottom. I later added a piece of wood cut out to place on the bottom of the bag, and used for setting on top of a serving table so not to leave burn marks.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:16 am

I just built some wooden boxes with a hinged lid. Cost about 6 or 7 bucks apiece :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:05 am

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bobhenry, that frying pan is just a bit rude. :lol:

My grandma's cast iron never had cases, my mom's cast iron never had cases, doubt if mine will ever have cases. Dedicated spaces in the camp box, yes, but custom cases and bags, no.

Of course, if we don't get some precipitation soon, this summer will be another lost cause for fires at camp sites, anyway. Global Sun Oven Dutch oven cooking, anyone?

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 am

I like the handle placement on that skillet there Bobhenry :lol:

:beer:
<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 pm

I was not readily concerned about the iron itsself but containing the residual ash and cooking residue (inside and out) . I was transporting them bagged in garbage bags in or on the mattress and bedding. After a few accidents I wanted something cheap to contain the mess rather than wiping in on the bedding.

F.Y.I. take the diameter of the d.o. x 3.14 and add about 4" for the waist size of size jeans needed.

ie. A 14" D.O x 3.14 = is about 44+4 is 48" waist. I didn't add the 4" and mine are a bit of a struggle to get the iron in. My error was not allowing extra for the ears and the bail.

I did cut a circle of 3/4 foam to stab the legs into and this help protect them from a direct blow if dropped as the legs can be rather fragile.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 pm

:lol: Very clever and practical, BobHenry. I would expect nothing less from you! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby sunny16 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Year ago I bought a cover from a local tent and awning shop that had brass grommets in the bottom that the legs poked thru. I don't know if they still make them but they were $10 or less and had a zippered lid and good handle sewn on. Try googling Kirkham's in Salt Lake City and see if they still make them. Good quality and affordable. I even bought my first tent from them, a springbar, one of the first companied that manufactured them years ago. Best tent made!
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby bonnie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 am

Catherine+twins wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
bobhenry, that frying pan is just a bit rude. :lol:

My grandma's cast iron never had cases, my mom's cast iron never had cases, doubt if mine will ever have cases. Dedicated spaces in the camp box, yes, but custom cases and bags, no.

Of course, if we don't get some precipitation soon, this summer will be another lost cause for fires at camp sites, anyway. Global Sun Oven Dutch oven cooking, anyone?

Catherine

Catherine, I think it's been tried. Apparently the DO has to be hot when it goes in the cooker. I don't have a sun oven, but I am going to try a solar powered DO cook or two this summer. Probably helps my DOs are tiny. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 am

Hi, Bonnie

Yeah, my DOs are an 8" and a 6", so they should fit. I watched a Youtube series on food storage and cooking from storage (the Mormon style of keeping 3 months to a year of food, not the johnny-come-latelies who think the world is going to end because the wrong party won an election), and the woman advises to keep a Sun Oven for cooking during power outages. She cooks with CI in hers to hold heat when the sun goes behind a cloud. She just pre-heats her DO in the Sun Oven while she is prepping her food. Now I do that when I bake focaccia bread to get a nice crust on the bottom. I did a lot of solar cooking this un-winter before I got back to work on my trailer. I think every weekday in January except one I cooked dinner for my kids in the solar oven, popped it into a Crock Pot to keep warm for them, and then took myself off to work in the evening. Not usually with CI pots, though. That will be the experiment for this summer.

Catherine, in sunny and dry NM
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron