case for dutch oven.

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: case for dutch oven.

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 am

Hi, Bonnie

Yeah, my DOs are an 8" and a 6", so they should fit. I watched a Youtube series on food storage and cooking from storage (the Mormon style of keeping 3 months to a year of food, not the johnny-come-latelies who think the world is going to end because the wrong party won an election), and the woman advises to keep a Sun Oven for cooking during power outages. She cooks with CI in hers to hold heat when the sun goes behind a cloud. She just pre-heats her DO in the Sun Oven while she is prepping her food. Now I do that when I bake focaccia bread to get a nice crust on the bottom. I did a lot of solar cooking this un-winter before I got back to work on my trailer. I think every weekday in January except one I cooked dinner for my kids in the solar oven, popped it into a Crock Pot to keep warm for them, and then took myself off to work in the evening. Not usually with CI pots, though. That will be the experiment for this summer.

Catherine, in sunny and dry NM
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby niget2002 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:30 pm

We've always just packed ours in a brown paper bag after rinsing out the insides.
niget2002
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:17 pm

I don't have a pic of them, but Courtney and Roy have the best carriers I've seen. She scrounged up some theater film cases aluminum I think. Hinged lids with latch, bumper feet and a handle on them. Fits a 12" I believe. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 am

While it is not a cover my wife makes these. Since space is a premium, I pack my plates and other smalls inside my 12" DO. This liner protects the oven and helps when I store the DO to let some air inside.

For a cover I use a Lodge.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Lizbeth » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Good idea for the jeans holders! Next time we are thrift store shopping it will give us something really useful to look for. I made a list of all the sizes we need. :?
Lizbeth
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cast Iron