Do cleaning.

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: Do cleaning.

Postby alaskamarohls » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm

This is my first post on the forum, so I realize I don't have any credibility yet, but wanted to throw in my two cents.

I have been cooking with cast iron for almost two decades, and although it sickens the diehards, I wash my cast iron cookware in hot soapy water just like I do any other cookware. I immediately throw it on the stove to dry out and then re season with Crisco. I've been lectured up and down about soap, and even had my brother scream at me about it, but I have never seen any ill effects, as long as I re-oiled immediately.

I don't understand how your seasoning could go rancid unless you are using why too much, or you are using the wrong kind of oil. I know that olive oil will go rancid. I haven't heard of using beeswax and am intrigued, but its probably too hard to get in Alaska anyways. I have found that Crisco makes the best seasoning though from what I have tried.
alaskamarohls
Teardrop Inspector

Postby wagondude » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Well as far as going rancid, that comes from not heating the oil enough to dry it (it must smoke to form the black coating). With frequent use, it can be ok to leave it oily, but if you store it for some time between campouts, the oil needs to be cooked dry.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Corwin C » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 am

Rancid cast iron is caused by over oiling and lack of use. Eliminating either one will stop it from happening.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Previous

Return to Cast Iron