My new Wagner DO... and a 20" skillet

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

My new Wagner DO... and a 20" skillet

Postby kludge » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 am

So I stopped by my mom's house this week and somehow we got on the topic of dutch ovens... all the cast iron skillets hanging in her garage are mine whenever I want them, but then she said, "I have a dutch oven if you want it. I never use it."

All my life I never knew there was a dutch oven, we ate thousands of meals when I was a kid from the skillets (before Teflon skillets), but I had never seen a dutch oven... but there it was,way back in the deepest recess of the kitchen cabinet!

A 10" Wagner Ware 1268 B with a Pyrex lid. I didn't think the lid was original, but in a web search I found one on ebay with an identical lid - not a self-basting lid unfortunately, but this will be great for oven use (no legs for cooking over charcoal, but I have a 14" Lodge and a 12" Camp Chef for that).

And for those with cast iron envy... what about that 20" skillet? I don't know where my dad got it, but it showed up, oh, about 30 or 35 years ago. He may have found it in a garage sale, or it may have been in the attic with his old camping gear. A couple years ago I decided it was time to rescue it and take it camping with the Scouts. I don't have any before pics, but it took 2 hours or so to clean the rust off with one of those aggressive brillo-like wheels in a drill. Fortunately there was no pitting and the surface below the rust is still very very smooth. The "patina" and seasoning hasn't had time to come back fully yet, and I have to keep after it with the oiling and seasoning so that rust doesn't start to develop.

How big is it? Here are a couple pics on the stove, one with the 10" Wagner inside. It's so big that I can't close the oven door when trying to season it.

kludge
Teardrop Master

Re: My new Wagner DO... and a 20" skillet

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:33 pm

WOW, nice finds. That 20" skillet is very cool. Take good care of it!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Nice skillet!

Paella anyone?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Let's put you in charge of the scrambled eggs.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Return to Cast Iron