Bees wax

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: Bees wax

Postby rmcelroy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:33 pm

rmcelroy wrote:Has anyone used Stakich? I ordered some but it hasn't arrived.

Edit: after reading that cosmetic grade wax will probably have contaminants. I just bought wax on E-bay! I have become a huge E-bay fan.

Edit: the Stakich came in yesterday, the packaging 100% bees wax. I've used it once already, looks great!
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:11 am

Over the Christmas break I bought a 12-inch skillet at a local thrift store--not vintage, just a recent Lodge, but it was $7 instead of $20, so I'm happy. I'll be trying the bees wax on it after just a bit more scrubbing. OTOH, I dug my grandmother's 10-inch Griswold out of the shed on the family farm this fall, that one is definitely vintage, and it will get the treatment, too.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:01 pm

So if you are using beeswax to season CI...you are doing it the same as before with an oil on the initial coat over raw iron? Apply it and then cook it? If it is an already seasoned pan, you are just wiping it down with a coat of bees wax. Just got some from a local bee keeper. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Catherine+twins wrote:Over the Christmas break I bought a 12-inch skillet at a local thrift store--not vintage, just a recent Lodge, but it was $7 instead of $20, so I'm happy. I'll be trying the bees wax on it after just a bit more scrubbing. OTOH, I dug my grandmother's 10-inch Griswold out of the shed on the family farm this fall, that one is definitely vintage, and it will get the treatment, too.

Catherine
T really clean those old C.I. skillets and such throw them in the camp fire coals and fish them out the next morning...clean-up like new!
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cast Iron