What is the practical difference?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

What is the practical difference?

Postby citylights » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:17 pm

User avatar
citylights
500 Club
 
Posts: 591
Images: 1
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby kayakdlk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:06 pm

The first one is just a fancy looking version of the second one.

Both work fine inside on the stove but what you really want for camping and charcoal is this http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L12DCO3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-8-Quart/dp/B00008GKDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391123024&sr=8-4&keywords=dutch+oven
so the coals stay on the lid and don't roll off. The also have a small legs to stand above the coals

Dan
User avatar
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member
 
Posts: 305
Images: 389
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 pm
Location: Foothills of Colorado

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby citylights » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 pm

kayakdlk wrote:The first one is just a fancy looking version of the second one.

Both work fine inside on the stove but what you really want for camping and charcoal is this http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L12DCO3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-8-Quart/dp/B00008GKDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391123024&sr=8-4&keywords=dutch+oven
so the coals stay on the lid and don't roll off. The also have a small legs to stand above the coals

Dan


What you posted is actually what my cast DO looks like. I have never cooked in coals though. Just the oven or cook top. I have a lot to learn.

Fancy version? What does the enamel do? Just make it easier to clean?
User avatar
citylights
500 Club
 
Posts: 591
Images: 1
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby wagondude » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Mostly, the enamel just makes it prettier to look at. It also protects it from rust so you don't have to season it.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
101137
User avatar
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1533
Images: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Land of the Jayhawks
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby kayakdlk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Sounds like you got the right dutch oven for campground cooking, now just get you one of these http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant13-Quart-Galvanized-GP13/dp/B000FJX8C8. They help contain the charcoal, provide some wind break (for the bottom coals) and make cleanup easy (Just let it cool and dump ashed into fire pit or trash).

Just watch what you put it on as it can scorch the ground. They are light weight and you don't need to carry around a heavy dutch oven table. I have used them everywhere. You can put it in the fire pit area if the campground provides one, or on the gravel, or dirt and they work great. I also carry a wire grate that I lay over the feed pan to grill steaks, cook foil dinners etc. It gets the coals a lot closer to the food that many of the campground setups. We even roast marshmallows of the remaining coals after dinner. Cooking with Charcoal is easy. Stick with items what cook under a hour and you do not have to keep refueling the charcoal, or stay stuck watching the fire too long. Desserts are real easy. With the fire restrictions that occur in Colorado I always make sure whatever I am planning to cook that I can also cook it over the propane stove in large pot.

The others type Dutch oven's you listed are good for the house oven. And as Bill said the enamel colored one are mostly for looks and easy clean up without having to season it. Although I think the seasoning of cast iron is what makes the food taste better, especially while camping.

Try this link http://tnttt.com/images/2012/TnTTTCookbook1.pdf for recipes. Search in this forum and and you will find there is also a second edition.

Try this link http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=57160 for CRA Dutch oven training seminar by Bob Henry

After that you should be well on your way

Dan
User avatar
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member
 
Posts: 305
Images: 389
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 pm
Location: Foothills of Colorado
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby citylights » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:18 am

kayakdlk wrote:Sounds like you got the right dutch oven for campground cooking, now just get you one of these http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant13-Quart-Galvanized-GP13/dp/B000FJX8C8. They help contain the charcoal, provide some wind break (for the bottom coals) and make cleanup easy (Just let it cool and dump ashed into fire pit or trash).

Just watch what you put it on as it can scorch the ground. They are light weight and you don't need to carry around a heavy dutch oven table. I have used them everywhere. You can put it in the fire pit area if the campground provides one, or on the gravel, or dirt and they work great. I also carry a wire grate that I lay over the feed pan to grill steaks, cook foil dinners etc. It gets the coals a lot closer to the food that many of the campground setups. We even roast marshmallows of the remaining coals after dinner. Cooking with Charcoal is easy. Stick with items what cook under a hour and you do not have to keep refueling the charcoal, or stay stuck watching the fire too long. Desserts are real easy. With the fire restrictions that occur in Colorado I always make sure whatever I am planning to cook that I can also cook it over the propane stove in large pot.

The others type Dutch oven's you listed are good for the house oven. And as Bill said the enamel colored one are mostly for looks and easy clean up without having to season it. Although I think the seasoning of cast iron is what makes the food taste better, especially while camping.

Try this link http://tnttt.com/images/2012/TnTTTCookbook1.pdf for recipes. Search in this forum and and you will find there is also a second edition.

Try this link http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=57160 for CRA Dutch oven training seminar by Bob Henry

After that you should be well on your way

Dan


Wow, thanks! I appreciate the tips and links. The charcoal pan looks like the way to go!
User avatar
citylights
500 Club
 
Posts: 591
Images: 1
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 pm

Another purpose for the enamel is to make the pot inert; you can cook acidic foods in them without the meal turning gray.

I should add that the can thing appears to be a pressure cooker (clamp on lid, silicone gasket, and steam method). Not a roaster or oven.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
User avatar
KCStudly
Donating Member
 
Posts: 8967
Images: 8051
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Southeastern CT, USA
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby citylights » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:03 pm

I hope it's not sacraligous to DO in a regular oven. I am trying out two recipes tonight.

Chicken with rice. Apple spice dump cake. :twisted:

Oh, and I bought a 10 inch DO to go with my 12 inch. I figure I need one for main course and one for desert. :thumbsup:
User avatar
citylights
500 Club
 
Posts: 591
Images: 1
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby citylights » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:53 am

I think I overloaded my oven with all that cast iron. The recipe called for 60 min cook time, but I ended up with it good and cooked at 90 minutes.
User avatar
citylights
500 Club
 
Posts: 591
Images: 1
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby jseyfert3 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:26 am

Did the recipe specify using cast iron?
User avatar
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 285
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Peoria, IL, USA
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby Corwin C » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm not a fan of the enameled cast iron ... my better half has a enamel cast iron frying pan and I hate the thing ... stuff sticks to it and it seems like the tiniest bump puts chips in it. Typically if a pan/lid has legs and a rim it's for use with coals, no rim or legs use in the house. However, with a few exceptions, they do cross from house to campfire and back very well.
BTW - it is absolutely NOT sacrilege to use cast iron when at home ... most things just can't be cooked properly any other way. :R I also preheat my cast iron when using it in an oven ... that keeps the timing closer to a regular recipe.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
User avatar
Corwin C
500 Club
 
Posts: 916
Images: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Junction, Piute County, UT
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 am

I designed a table top dutch oven table...............

Image

Image

Then you can move up ....

Image

:thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
User avatar
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club
 
Posts: 9880
Images: 2280
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 am
Location: INDIANA, LINDEN
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:49 am

citylights wrote:I think I overloaded my oven with all that cast iron. The recipe called for 60 min cook time, but I ended up with it good and cooked at 90 minutes.


Cast iron takes the first 5 - 8 minutes to come up to temperature. There is a lot of mass to warm up there.
But remember it will also continue to cook for that same amount of time after removing it from the heat. So removing the cooking food a bit early will work for you, as it will continue to cook. As it cools it will also continue to keep the food warm so what you lose on the front end you gain on the back end. Just learn to use that feature to your benefit.
Growing older but not up !
User avatar
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club
 
Posts: 9880
Images: 2280
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 am
Location: INDIANA, LINDEN
Top

Re: What is the practical difference?

Postby citylights » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:17 pm

I also preheat my cast iron when using it in an oven ... that keeps the timing closer to a regular recipe.

Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely preheat next time.
User avatar
citylights
500 Club
 
Posts: 591
Images: 1
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Top


Return to Cast Iron

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest