Reinventing the Cast Iron Skillet

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Reinventing the Cast Iron Skillet

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Just read this interesting article on a new lighter/thinner cast iron skillet developed by two brothers. It sounds like they covered all the bases to appeal to the vintage cast iron crowd. I'll assume the product acceptance by John Q. Public will tell all. The article does not say exactly when they will be available of list any pricing.

http://news.yahoo.com/2-brothers-reinve ... 00380.html
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Re: Reinventing the Cast Iron Skillet

Postby bobhenry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:09 am

Yep stamp em out thinner and cheaper using less and less material. The new world way of thinking !

I think I will stick with my old iron with the gate marks thank you !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:56 am

Actually, they are trying to make them more like the old stuff. They will be casting them thick, then machining the interior to give. Smoother surface. Apparently so smooth that they need a new easy to season them.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:17 am

A "new easy"

Where do you order one of those? :laughter:

If you were about to say " a new easy WAY to season them" break out the bees wax.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=60552&p=1127721&hilit=bees+wax#p1127721
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:19 am

Redneck Teepee wrote:Just read this interesting article on a new lighter/thinner cast iron skillet developed by two brothers. It sounds like they covered all the bases to appeal to the vintage cast iron crowd. I'll assume the product acceptance by John Q. Public will tell all. The article does not say exactly when they will be available of list any pricing.

http://news.yahoo.com/2-brothers-reinve ... 00380.html

I just may have to apologize for being premature in my judgement. It seems these boys are extremely immersed into the black iron cause. After viewing the video and reading everything I could find it seems they are very dedicated in their search for the perfect skillet. Let's all wish them luck and maybe we will all have a Field skillet in our black iron stable ! :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:44 pm

I have to admit when I first saw the article I instantly thought of "Re-inventing the mousetrap". They seem to really have done their homework to appeal to the vintage cast iron cooks. I personally use cast iron camping and at home almost exclusively, when they do become available I believe I'll purchase and try one to see if it's all cracked up to the sales pitch.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:44 pm

bobhenry wrote:A "new easy"

Where do you order one of those? :laughter:

If you were about to say " a new easy WAY to season them" break out the bees wax.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=60552&p=1127721&hilit=bees+wax#p1127721

Darn auto correct, I didn't mean to say "easy" they are calling it "proprietary" information.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Brushy_Bill » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:33 pm

bobhenry wrote:Yep stamp em out thinner and cheaper using less and less material. The new world way of thinking !

Can't stamp cast iron.
Brushy_Bill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steviebear » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 am

Reviving an old thread...
Having been converted to cast iron a few years ago by most of you, I bought into the Field skillet and ponied up a chunk of change for the promise of a new piece of cast iron. The wait was longer than expected (9 months) but it was worth it! Out of the box it cooked as well as my 100 year old griswold, and the finish is fantastic. It doesn't seem any lighter than my other pans, but I'm sure it's lighter than a comparable Lodge. Loving my Field skillet and cooking with it almost every day!
Steviebear
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cast Iron