Easy Cleaning for Cast Iron: Potscrubber

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Easy Cleaning for Cast Iron: Potscrubber

Postby lfhoward » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:25 pm

My family cooks in cast iron nearly every morning, whether we are camping or not. I'm also the primary dishwasher, and I wanted to share an effective way I've found for cleaning my pans without stripping the seasoning. My cast iron are virtually non-stick now after years of cooking bacon and sausage, and I don't want to ruin the patina now that I've got it right where I want it!

I clean my cast iron pans with a small pot scrubbing broom that I got from a small company called Sistercraft. The potscrubber is tough enough to grind off scrambled eggs, but doesn't strip the seasoning. No salt or especially no soap is needed. I just use hot water plus the scrubber. If the food is particularly stuck on, I just let it soak for a few minutes first, but the potscrubber always does the trick better than a sponge or plastic dish brush. (And of course no steel wool because that not only strips the seasoning but damages the surface of the pan.)

Here are some photos of my potscrubber, used almost every day for 18 months and still going:

And my favorite pan:

The key to keeping it looking nice and functional is to hang it up after each use so it drips dry. That way it stays stiff for the next use. This chicken does the trick because it is right above the kitchen sink!

Here is the link to the potscrubber on Sistercraft's Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/251937291/trumbull-potscrubber-handmade-by

What else is everyone using to clean their cast iron pans? Does anyone else use a potscrubber broom? Post up your weapon of choice.
Last edited by lfhoward on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Easy Cleaning for Cast Iron: Potscrubber

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:31 pm

Very cool! Thanks.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:04 am

I do the hot water thing and a plastic scraper . If that is not enough I use a plastic sponge, Dobie is my preferred tool, available at many supermarkets. For something that does not come off I have a chain mail cleaner that works great. It is all loops with no sharp edges and has not hurt the seasoning so far. I got the chain mail off Amazon or ebay. If I did not have my stuff I would do what you do.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:52 am

i find scrubbers like yours at the flea mkts where the booths are focusing on ethnic cooking methods/equipment

we use some of them on the chuck wagon to clean our iron

cheap & expendable

thanks for sharing

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Amazon sells a bunch of chain mail pot scrubbers. Search "chainmail pot scrubber"

I like mine

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby dguff » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:Amazon sells a bunch of chain mail pot scrubbers. Search "chainmail pot scrubber"

I like mine

<Chas>
:beer:

Ditto
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 am

Warm water and a scotchbrite pad for me. As soon as the food leaves the pan it is allowed to soak a few minutes (very few) on low heat and scrubbed under clear running warm water. It works for me !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby working on it » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm

bobhenry wrote:Warm water and a scotchbrite pad for me. As soon as the food leaves the pan it is allowed to soak a few minutes (very few) on low heat and scrubbed under clear running warm water. It works for me !
I'm new to this game, having only two pieces, both new Lodge's (a 10.5" square grilling skillet, and a 10.25" round smooth skillet). I only have the Lodge polycarbonate scraping tools I bought from Amazon, along with the griller, to clean it with. So far, its worked on the griller, but my wife tried out the smooth skillet (bought by me on impulse in the Walmart camping section), and burnt some potatoes to it. She can burn water. I soaked it, scraped and scraped, removing 99%, almost grabbing the Scotchbrite pad (I thought it would be Verboten to use). I eventually got it clean, using olive oil, scraping at 275 degrees, for about twenty minutes. Then, I wiped it down 'til the towel was not very discolored, rinsed it with warm water again, dried it, and re-coated it with more oil at 350 degrees, and put it away after cooling. So, now I learn that Scotchbrite is OK ? I'm sure you don't mean to scrub until mirror-finish, just to cleanliness, right ? By the way, Bob, you were right about cooking eggs on the griller skillet. Though it cleaned up easily (I don't burn food like you-know-who), the eggs were just crumbles when cooked.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cast Iron