Baking a cake in cast iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Baking a cake in cast iron

Postby HappyCamperWives » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 am

Hey all!

It was my birthday this week so we attempted to bake a cake in our lodge dutch oven over the open flame of our t@b teardrop. Here's our how-to video http://www.happycamperwives.com/2017/01/10/how-to-bake-cake-cast-iron-pan/ we thought you may like.

Still learning the ol' cast iron but we finally got the "seasoning" right! :)
HappyCamperWives
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Baking a cake in cast iron

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 am

HappyCamperWives wrote:Hey all!

It was my birthday this week so we attempted to bake a cake in our lodge dutch oven over the open flame of our t@b teardrop. Here's our how-to video http://www.happycamperwives.com/2017/01/10/how-to-bake-cake-cast-iron-pan/ we thought you may like.

Super-great video. Thanks for sharing. I have not done that in a frying pan.

Here's an old-river-runner's Dutch-oven operator's tip (say that three times real fast on a dark Halloween night): You can substitute the eggs (and the water) with a can of Sprite or 7-Up. Works great. The pop can in the cook box will survive rapids––or washboard roads––that defy even farm-fresh eggs. :thumbsup:

Andy happy birthday, by the way.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby HappyCamperWives » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 pm

tony.latham wrote:
HappyCamperWives wrote:Hey all!

Super-great video. Thanks for sharing. I have not done that in a frying pan.

Here's an old-river-runner's Dutch-oven operator's tip (say that three times real fast on a dark Halloween night): You can substitute the eggs (and the water) with a can of Sprite or 7-Up. Works great. The pop can in the cook box will survive rapids––or washboard roads––that defy even farm-fresh eggs. :thumbsup:

Andy happy birthday, by the way.

Tony

AH that is genius!! We burned that thing so bad. :FNP
HappyCamperWives
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Fun video. Thanks!

Not cast iron, but a good way to bake a cake or anything over a burner. JMO (jello mold oven). Also light weight and inexpensive at most thrift stores.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby HappyCamperWives » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:22 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Fun video. Thanks!

Not cast iron, but a good way to bake a cake or anything over a burner. JMO (jello mold oven). Also light weight and inexpensive at most thrift stores.

Now THAT is a beautiful cake! I didn't know jello molds came in metal, wait are you sure that's not a bunt cake pan? haha.
HappyCamperWives
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Another. Jiffy mixes. And the jello molds are aluminum, but often copper colored. They seem so familiar to me because of age, I'm sure. I see the antique ones are from the 1960s. Owe!

QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:38 pm

I think someone did pizza's in a bunt pan too.
Have you tried corn bread in the bunt pan?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm

KennethW wrote:

I think someone did pizza's in a bunt pan too.
Have you tried corn bread in the bunt pan?

I promise you what I use is not a bundt pan. It's an aluminum jello mold, very light weight, great for backpacking. Pizzas, cakes, muffins, corn bread, brownies, biscuits, and do on. Plan on yeast bread next trip. Should work for casseroles, crisps, etc.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:41 pm

I see the jello mold has a bigger center hole. The jello mold baking will open up a lot of meal ideals for me.
Thank you for sharing!
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:16 am

The center hole or tube in combination with the pie tin or cake pan top is what makes it work. You can buy a set up - http://omniasweden.com/en/home/ - in the $75 neighborhood, but mine are all around $3 from Goodwill. I use it with an MSRP Dragonfly but works great on a gas range in my kitchen where I've tested recipes, and on a Coleman propane. Trick is not be in a hurry. I've never gotten to more than dark brown.

More options in a trailer, but lighter than a reflector oven and no fire tending.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby razorback » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 am

Nice video. For all you new to the forum folks; you need to look at this link. In my opinion it is the ultimate place for learning the versitility of cast iron cooking.
Also two of the nicest teardrop folks who hosted the IRG!
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby razorback » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:34 am

When you get old you forget to post links! https://www.youtube.com/user/outdoorcastironcook
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby HappyCamperWives » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Haha a tin jello mold- The possibilities are endless!

Have any of you tried a "collapsable oven"? Someone reccomend it and wondering if it's worth the investment. We've become pretty good at searing salmon and other things in the cast iron but baking may not be our jam.
HappyCamperWives
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:33 pm

I assume you mean the Coleman portable folding camp oven. I've seen it but don't have hands on experience. Amazon reviews seem good but note it's a little slow to heat and tougher to keep even in cold weather. At around $25, might be worth a try, but patience and it seems about 8" square is largest. If you go for it I'd love to hear how it worked. I'm inclined to stay with my JMO and, for car camping, the dutch oven with charcoal and a fire pit. Your set up would have been great if you'd have been able to put coals on top. Just an aluminum camp pot with lid and coals on it work great.

Just for kicks, a different stove stop approach, the BakePacker. Easy and quick and nice to have fresh baked things, but no crust or brown edge. http://www.bakepacker.com/ Still, it beats add boiling water trail food if in the wilderness.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Redneck Packrat » Wed May 24, 2017 7:32 pm

I've had pretty good luck "baking" stuff in a Dutch oven on a stovetop by adding a comal....cast iron griddle....one of those round tortilla heatin' thingys... between the DO and the burner. Doubles the bulk of the bottom and helps it disperse the heat a little better is probably why it helps.

Bill
Texas Gulf coast
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cast Iron