Blotchy seasoning - now what?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Blotchy seasoning - now what?

Postby me&z » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Tried to season a frying pan and covered pot with beeswax today. The results are blotchy (or spotty or streaky).

Any advice on what to do next?
me&z
Teardrop Master

Re: Blotchy seasoning - now what?

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:28 am

Use it ! Fry up some bacon for BLT's . You can recoat with bees wax as often as needed. Really good iron doesn't happen overnight it tends to build upon it's self as you use it. Just keep the faith it will soon be a sweet user.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby me&z » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. The problem is using them. Not real keen about putting them on my glass cooktop at home and I really don't cook when we camp.

But the frying pan should be ok. I learned to cook in that one. My great grandma pulled it out of her cupboard and gave to my mom as a wedding present in1956. Im pretty sure it was in daily use for a couple of decades before that.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Packrat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:07 am

That happens. The uneven appearance will go away/fade/blend with use. I've had 'em come out looking like that and after a few dozen uses, they black right up into an even, pretty piece :thumbsup:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:13 pm

me&z wrote:Thanks for the encouragement. The problem is using them. Not real keen about putting them on my glass cooktop at home and I really don't cook when we camp.

But the frying pan should be ok. I learned to cook in that one. My great grandma pulled it out of her cupboard and gave to my mom as a wedding present in1956. Im pretty sure it was in daily use for a couple of decades before that.
Then what do you plan to use them for?
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby me&z » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Well I hope to use them after we retire when we can take trips that are longer than just Friday night to Sunday afternoon. And if that never happens, then daughter #2 has dibs on them. But she also has a glass cooktop at the moment and her landlord doesn't want her to use cast iron on it.

They were doing just fine when my mom lived in Colorado but as soon as I brought them back to the Midwest, they started rusting. (The pans, not my parents).

Maybe I'll just make a point to use them on the side burner of the grill once in a awhile. BLTAs sound really good.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:11 am

THE SURFACE RUST CAN BE CURED EASILY WITH A 1/2 AND 1/2 VINEGAR AND WATER BATH. ( Oops damn cap lock )

Just give it a light scrubbing with the vinegar water solution and then a water rinse and dry well.

I have heard that a clothes hanger loop can be laid on the glass cook top and then a cast iron pan. You might google it and see if my memory is correct.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Redneck Packrat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:26 pm

bobhenry wrote:I have heard that a clothes hanger loop can be laid on the glass cook top and then a cast iron pan.

That would work, if you can keep the clothes hanger from melting. :thumbsup:

:lol: :crazy: :chicken:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby Nansplace » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:26 am

I use mine on a glass top stove but am careful not to turn the burner up on high, since the cast iron will get hotter and stay hotter than other cookware. Which also means, you don't need the temp as high, the cast iron will control the temp for you. I was afraid of using mine on the glass top at first but started testing using a low temp then gradually got warmer to where I go as high as a medium to almost a medium high and have had no problems. Hope that helps.
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby me&z » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:29 am

Nansplace wrote:I use mine on a glass top stove but am careful not to turn the burner up on high, since the cast iron will get hotter and stay hotter than other cookware. Which also means, you don't need the temp as high, the cast iron will control the temp for you. I was afraid of using mine on the glass top at first but started testing using a low temp then gradually got warmer to where I go as high as a medium to almost a medium high and have had no problems. Hope that helps.

It does, thank you. I really liked the skillet when I cooked as a kid. Will be fun to use it again. 8)
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby niget2002 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:14 pm

The big problem with using them on glass is pushing them around can scratch the glass.

I use mine on glass all the time. You just have to make sure and lift them if you need to move them and don't just slide it around.

You could also get some of those metal plates they sell for induction cook tops. Put it under the DO as a buffer to keep it off the glass.

Kinda like this. I think they sell them without handles too

https://www.amazon.com/VonShef-Stainles ... tion+plate
niget2002
Teardrop Inspector

Postby me&z » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:15 pm

My new favorite way to use the skillet but not on the glass cooktop.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html

Makes a fine pizza. And the seasoning on the skillet is improving. 8)
me&z
Teardrop Master

Return to Cast Iron