Looking to caravan to the Glyphs....

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Kevin A wrote:That sucks that it's all gone. :(
Do you know if there's anything left of the Cave campground?

Kev,
I'm trying to find out... All I'm getting is that the Subway Cave Campground is reopen and that crews have repaired the fire damage.
Whatever that means...
That was one of my favorite "new" places to camp... Thanks Eunice for having a Jefferson State Tear Jerkers Gathering there!!!
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Kevin A » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:18 am

Here's a news blurb from August 14 (2 weeks ago) Looks like the cave campground is back in business. :thumbsup:
http://plumasnews.com/news_story.edi?si ... =0&order=0
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Kevin A » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:33 am

What do you all think about using CB radios to stay in contact on the way to the glyphs? good idea? bad idea? Ive still got the one I used in 2005 on the tour to Minden. It worked out well.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby grant whipp » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:32 am

triker45 wrote:Hi Kay
We will leave early Thursday and meet up with you guys at Old Station. Should be there before 10am. Don't know what time you are planning on being at Old Station, Grant but if we aren't there when you get there we'll catch up on down the road ...

Hiya, Jerry!

Somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00 AM Thursday sounds good enough to me! I mentioned over on the other 'Glyphs thread that I will be trying to talk Leah into joining us with her new teardrop ... we'll have to see how that goes ... :thinking: ...

Kay ...

... from the looks of one of those photos, Cave Campgrounds survived ... and will be an excellent layover for you Wednesday night ... :thumbsup: ... try to take the southern loop, and get a site close to the creek, furthest away from the highway (you won't be sorry)!

All ...

... the Info/Visitor Center is just south of the Hwys 89/44 junction, on the east side of 89, and if you go past the VC building where the restrooms are, there's a nice big area on the right that'll be a good gathering point for us in our trailers while we wait for each other to arrive ... it's gravel & dirt, but it's out of the way of the other tourists coming in, but still close to the restrooms ... plenty of shade that time of the morning, too.

Jeeezzz ... just over two-and-a-half weeks away! I can hardly wait ... :thumbsup: ...! See y'All soon ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Kayperkay » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Yes, I have heard Cave Campground survived. :thumbsup: ...my cousin in Chester went over to look for me and she said Cave survived but it's burnt all around. :cry: :cry:
She also said to find a spot by the creek to reduce the noise..... :campfire:
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks Kay,
That's good news, but still sounds kinda sad... :frightened:
I'm hoping you lucky dogs going to the Glyphs, snap a few pics of Subway Cave Campground and surrounding area for us stuck at home. :worship:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Kayperkay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 am

Will do as I will be camping there 8) 8) ....did you see my pics from Aug. 17th? I was over in the Burney Falls area for a few days and just took these not knowing it was Cave Campground area.
I do plan on seeing Subway Cave and doing some hiking in the area. :twisted:
Kay
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:02 am

Yeap... Those pics brought sadness to my heart... But now knowing that the campground survived makes me feel better.
I really want to go back there next summer, except this time, I'm gonna take a fly rod and some dry flies. I'll be sure to buy my seventy-five dollar, or whatever that outrageous number is, fishing license too at the begining of 2010 to get my monies worth... Only in California. (Thank You Fish & Game... Not!!!)

Oh and Kay... Even if it's hot, take a jacket or sweatshirt into the lava tube.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Russ in California » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Kayperkay wrote:I do plan on seeing Subway Cave and doing some hiking in the area. :twisted:

Not to highjack but talking about lava tubes, if you like Subway, you'll really need to get to Lava Beds National Monument. Valentine and Skull tubes(cave) are my favorite. You'll especially love Valentine if you play a musical instrument(take it with you) and Skull has to be 100' high and the big part 300' long with an ice floor down at the bottom of the ladders. From the outside it will remind you of 'Journey to the Center of the Earth'.
Not to mention Captn' Jacks Stronghold and all the other lava features.
Sorry for the highjack but couldn't resist a plug for one of my favorites places. :thumbsup:
8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby Kayperkay » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Also one of my favoite places 8) ...I was ther July 12th of this year...I stopped there on my way home from Medicine Lake California. Medicine Lake is the whole reason I decided to get a teardrop.....it;s cold up there at night!
Would love to see a gethering there at Lava beds.... :thumbsup:
Kay

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby triker45 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Kevin
CBs sound good to me. I'll hook mine up.

Grant
The VC/rest area sounds like a good place to meet to me. See ya there. Jerry
triker45
Teardrop Master

Postby traveler » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Hey Jerry, are you going to bring the trike :thinking: Was going to bring the coupe, but Ebony won't fit inside and don't want to put her in the traiiler for that long of a trip. Might try it for a short one, then if it works out, will try a little longer treck.
Bruce :)
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Kay,
Glass Mountain and Lava Beds are on my list!!! :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby traveler » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:03 pm

:thinking: Question???? Is there any water for the canoes, inflatables, etc. Was thinking of bringing mine, but if no lakes or so, don't think I will.
Bruce :)
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:16 pm

No Bruce....don't bring them....made me think about the time I was going to Prudhoe Bay for a summers work in '73 and some guys on the crew from Calif. brought their golf clubs to Anchorage. I told them,"yeah, bring them there's a great course in Prudhoe Bay". They had to drag their clubs with them all summer long from camp to camp. I'm a stinker...but not this time...It's high desert....lots of sage brush, and there's no nearby water. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson State