What sites to use at IRG?

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

What sites to use at IRG?

Postby danlott » Tue May 25, 2010 12:06 pm

After reading a recent post in another category it made me wonder. Is there preferred areas to set up camp depending on what kind of trailer/tent you plan on camping with at IRG? I will be bringing our 16' Casita as I will be no where near finished with my build by then. I will have 2 young children with me also. I don't want to be right in the middle of things, since I am a light sleeper and we tend to sleep in a little later than most.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Tue May 25, 2010 2:00 pm

This is something that maybe Dean should answer, but the way I see it. The upper area close to the cook shack should be reserved for the Handicapped and the rest is wide open. Although if I was to bring my Dalton, I would be looking for a spot just inside the entrance. There are flat and roomy spaces up there for your bigger trailers. It's tight down below because of the trees. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue May 25, 2010 5:13 pm

The other side of the meadow near the water would be nice because it is far from the others and the water makes for good white noise. On the flip side, there isn't as much cover from the sun there.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Sites

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue May 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Hello,

Although there are NO OFFICIALLY reserved spots, we tried the last time to have some space left and available near the top area (cookshack/fire pit) for those people who might have physical limitations. However, sites will be available on a first come, first set-up basis, and will need to be shared. It will be festival style camping where sites are in established spots as well as other places where you will not be camping on the GREEN vegetation.

We have camp sites with picnic tables and fire pits which can accomodate anywhere from 3-6+ teardrops. The problem occurs with the tow vehicles. First priority for camp spots goes to the trailer, not the tow vehicle. If you are bringing a larger trailer, you will not find adequate turn around or loop thru down at the bottom camp sites. There is only a one lane paved road in/out of the grove and the speed limit is <5 mph. Larger trailers will need to be parked so that other vehicles and teardrops can get around them, but we are really aiming for the smaller varieties cuz we are at peak capacity with vehicles, trailers, and people.

During the past two events people have willingly shared spaces and we request that you do not hold on to a spot for days for someone else who might arrive later. in the week If someone approaches you about camping side by side and there is not adequate space for the teardrop, that is one thing. But if they are holding a space for someone with their tow vehicle, the person who is physically there should be allowed to camp at that spot.

Danlott, if you go to our website and check out the map, you'll find Campsites A/B might work for you. Also, due to trees that have fallen, not all spots will be the same. As for the meadow, Dean will be checking again with Ranger Pat to see if we can wheel them on and you'd park opposite, on the other side, and not next to your TD. The far back is where we'd prefer people with tents to camp as it is very difficult to haul tears back there. Please know that most people found plenty of spots for the teardrops and were able to put their vehicles out of the way, yet close enough for easy access.

Thanks for your inquiry,
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Gage » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm not camping by the 'PT' like last time. :no: It stinks. :fb .......................................................................... :lol:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Gage wrote:
I'm not camping by the 'PT' like last time. It stinks. ..........................................................................

:lol: Yup! Last one there gets that spot! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gage » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:37 pm

S. Heisley wrote: :lol: Yup! Last one there gets that spot! :lol:

That's not going to hapen this year. I'm going to get there Sunday and be first in line at the gate. Hope nobody is going to be there wanting to get out because the road just may be blocked. :thinking: ......... :lol:
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby billnut » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:01 pm

:D Gage wake me up if you want to get by at the gate.
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Gate Waiters

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 am

:( Gage, if you wait by the gate on Sunday, you may get clobbered by the vehicles going in and out of those who rented Pamplin G rove PRIOR to us. The place has been rented out by another party that will be exiting out by Monday morning, so it would be best not to block the roadway.......
:R TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Re: Gate Waiters

Postby Gage » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:19 pm

The Teardrop Nanny wrote::( Gage, if you wait by the gate on Sunday, you may get clobbered by the vehicles going in and out of those who rented Pamplin G rove PRIOR to us. The place has been rented out by another party that will be exiting out by Monday morning, so it would be best not to block the roadway.......
:R TDN

Gage wrote: .............. Hope nobody is going to be there wanting to get out because the road just may be blocked. :thinking: ......... :lol:
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby billnut » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:48 pm

:D Shhhh TDN Humor the skinny old man he's upset because i,m going to beat him in our Elec. scooter drag race (I,m running 18 Volts) :lol: :lol:
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Please Tell Us More, TDN!

Postby Blumie » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Teardrop Nanny, after reading your response about not camping on green vegetation, you look like the person of whom to ask some practical questions for living at IRG.
If I read the site map correctly, I see only two water spigots in the whole campground, and two pit toilets. Is that right?
Please, could you tell us what's the proper Pamplin Grove etiquette re: dumping dishwater?
Do people cook all their meals at their teardrops, at the cook house, or a mix?
How far from the campground is the nearest place to buy ice?
Thanks for your help!
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Clean Camping

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 pm

I'll hopefully address all your concerns.....

There is considerably more green vegetation this year due to the extended rains. The Rangers do NOT want people to camp on the areas where the greenery is right up against the redwoods, or park vehicles on top of it. People and vehicles tend to compact the earth around the root area of the tree...not good for the tree's growth overall. Also, sometimes dogs get chained up/around the trees and cause damage. So, try to be respectful of the sorrell (looks like clover) and ferns and other vegetation which enhance the redwood forest ecosystem. Where there are split rail areas fenced off, don't troop through these areas, but stay on the established paths. There are many lovely spots to tuck in a teardrop.

I'll be camping/living up at the cookshack area. I plan to cook meals in that area as well as do continental breakfast/snacks for the EARLY Bird Cafe in the morning. Coffee, tea, other asst. things to eat. Lots of singles that were "baching" it came and ate up there in the early a.m. Dean & I will have a community cooking area/class up there as well. People often cook at their site, find or round up a few new friends and neighbors and do informal mini-potlucks in their camp area, you are welcome to come up and cook at the "shack" or use the grill up there in the front. Dean and I try to set a time to eat and whoever shows up with whatever to share eats with us. There will be a white board/charts with sign ups of who is bringing what like main dish, dessert, salad, drinks, etc. On Friday and Saturday people will be bringing potluck items to the dinners and we have a HUGE group meal, both in size and quantity of food. Remember, others follow behind you in the potluck line, and please do bring someTHING yourself to the potluck for others to share with you and eat. Sometimes we just hop from camp to camp and get samplings. People bring food to us, and Dean is partial to cookies for he'll often give raffle tickets to those who slip a few extra his way. Oh, yeah, we'd really appreciate it if our kids come through and you'd check to see if they've eaten that day! :lol: They have their own PIF tickets to give out as well.

Water faucets are 2 on top, 3 on bottom, but do not have a "lip" that you can hook up a hose. You'd need to bring an adapter/clamp to do a hose. We will have some bottles with spigots up at the top area for people lounging around up there so they can get a drink of water. 2 pit toilets on the top and 2 on the bottom area. I dump my grey water down the sink at the CS, but because of the size of the area you can dispose of the water by your camp, and hopefully you are using biodegradable soap. There will be NO PORTA POTTIES will be hauled in for this event. I do have a bottle of RV Toilet treatment to help break down the waste and reduce odors in the pits.

The nearest market is in Hydesville, very close, about 10 min. drive. It's a nice one, and they have ice there and a gas station. Usually people will stop in there, so be sure to tell them you are with the Teardrop Group.

Did I miss anything? Hope not, and hope you find this adequate. TDN
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Great Info, Thanks!!

Postby Blumie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:36 pm

THANK YOU for the great info! That helps me prepare better. We are so looking forward to experiencing IRG3!
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Return to Jefferson State