Attn Nor Cal folks--Traveling from NV to the Dam Gathering

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Attn Nor Cal folks--Traveling from NV to the Dam Gathering

Postby nevadatear » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:32 pm

We have the week off before the Dam Gathering, and are planning our trip from Lovelock over to (hopefully not Damp) Gathering this year. Not sure about the weather, but considering going first through Portola area, or maybe Eagle lake, open to any ideas. Want to spend maybe two nights in a few places, maybe a single as we start out in Auburn/colfax area, or anywhere 4-5 hours from home. Have no real plan other than arriving at Antlers either Wed or Thurs.

So, all you nor cal folks, gives us some ideas. We have been many places in nor cal, and wouldn't mind going back to any of them, but like to try new places too, preferably not snow, been there, done that last Easter and Memorial day! Our only needs are to do some hiking and birding, and a shower every few days.

8)
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kayperkay » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:17 am

You should come to Rustic Whitethorn Run the weekend before the Dam 8)
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:32 am

Kayperkay wrote:You should come to Rustic Whitethorn Run the weekend before the Dam 8)

Yup... Plus it's Gene's & Joanie's Birthday Party & Easter all rolled into one.
And Gene is says folks can hang out afterward too, plus you'd be able to camp for a few days at Swimmer's Delight, Pamplin Grove's sister campground, to take in the redwoods.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby nevadatear » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks guys for the invite, we actually did consider that, I love that area and want to go back (had a great time pre-tear several years ago in Mendocino and then on up to Fortuna (pre forum-hi Dean!) where Randy's cousin lives for several days.

But, we don't want to do quite that much driving on this trip, and a little more recreating, so want to stick more in the central or west Cali areas. Considering Black Buttes as a mid stop after Oroville.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Don't go the Eagle Lake route. Most of those are closed until mid to late/end of May....too much snow, especially this year. Of the two you mentioned in your first post, Portola is probably the better. However, a lot of the ones around Portola don't open until May, either. Maybe you are on the right track with the Oroville area and Black Butte. If I knew more about what you are looking for, I would look in my new CA Camping book and let you know what I find. For example, you probably want a place with showers and...?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks Sharon, we thought that it might be too soon for Eagle lake too. Thinking we may have settled on Oroville, then Black Butte, then Antlers, at least for today! We like isolated, and don't mind roughing it, but not the whole time, but then again, we will be at Antlers mid week.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Debbie:

Most the smaller campgrounds don’t open until late April or May. Based on your last notations, here is what I found that will be open in those areas:

ON LAKE OROVILLE:

BIDWELL CANYON, Scenic Rating 7, 75 sites, Flush Toilets & Coin Showers, Open yr-round.
Reservations through Reserveamerica.com or 800-444-7275

LOAFER CREEK, Scenic Rating 7, 137 sites, Flush Toilets & Coin Showers, Open yr-round.
(Also has 6 group sites and 15 equestrian sites, laundry tubs, Wi-Fi, dump station, tethering, feeding, and horse-washing stations)
Reservations through Reserveamerica.com or 800-444-7275

ON BLACK BUTTE LAKE:

BUCKHORN, Scenic Rating 7, 65 sites, Flush Toilets & Showers, Open yr-round.
(Also has dump station & fish-cleaning station) There is a one-mile long interpretive trail.
Reservations 877-444-6777

ORLAND BUTTES, Scenic Rating 7, 35 sites, Flush Toilets & Coin Showers, Open yr-round.
(Also has dump station, fish-cleaning station & boat ramp) Special note: This one says it is beautiful in early spring but hot and dry from June to September. There are three nearby interpretive trails in the area. The Paul Thomas Trail is a quarter mile walk to an overlook.
Reservations 877-444-6777

ON COLLINS LAKE (Near Marysville):

COLLINS LAKE RECREATION AREA, Scenic Rating 8, 150 full/part hook-up sites plus 60 with no hook-ups and 4 rental trailers and 5 cabins, Flush Toilets & Coin Showers, Open yr-round. Has playground and boat ramp, boat rentals, swimming beach. (….Probably not what you are looking for but I thought I’d add it anyway.) Reservations 530-692-1600

POSSIBLE CAMPGROUNDS OPEN LATE APRIL, WEATHER PERMITTING:

ON SLY CREEK RESERVOIR (Near Marysville):

SLY CREEK, Scenic Rating 7, 26 sites, Vault Toilets & NO Showers, Open late April – wp.
No reservations. Ranger Ph# 530-534-6500; Park mgmt: 530-283-5559.

STRAWBERRY, Scenic Rating 7, 27 sites, Vault Toilets & NO Showers, Open late April – wp.
NO Drinking water. No reservations. Ranger Ph# 530-534-6500; Park mgmt: 530-283-5559.

ON BULLARDS BAR RESERVOIR

SCHOOLHOUSE, Scenic Rating 7, 56 sites, Flush &Vault Toilets & NO Showers, Open mid-April – wp. Food lockers provided. Reservations 530-692-3200
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Cave Campground on Hat Creek, near Old Station... Take a fly rod!!!
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:04 pm

I don't know if MapQuest, GoogleMap or a GPS system would tell you that a road is not plowed and is closed for the winter. Some of the roads (even a main thoroughfare) can be closed around Mt. Lassen during the snow season and don't open again until May. So, please check your route first before you go. Stay safe!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Reddiver » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:12 am

Buney Falls State Park is pretty cool
Steve
Reddiver
Donating Member

Sierra Valley

Postby Blumie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Nevadatear:

Have you considered Sierra Hot Springs near Sierraville in the Sierra Valley, about 30 miles (by road) from Portola? They have a campground out by the most-natural hot spring pool. Birding in Sierra Valley is excellent, as you know. Try googling their website for facilities info & prices. We recommend Los Dos Hermanos restaurant in Sierraville, too!

blumie
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:40 pm

thanks, blumie, great tip. We will keep that one in mind! Alot depends on the weather, if good we will go that direction! :D
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Jefferson State