19th Dam Gathering of the Tears, May 3-6, 2012

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Re: 19th Dam Gathering of the Tears, May 3-6, 2012

Postby Kevin A » Sun May 06, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm back home, another GREAT Dam Gathering is in the books. For anyone who missed it, you missed a good one. A big "Thank You" to Grant and crew for all the hard work in putting this event on. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Kevin.....
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby dano » Sun May 06, 2012 9:09 pm

This was my first and wow was it fun. Thanks Grant.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
[email protected]
Morgan Hill Ca.
dano
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 06, 2012 9:16 pm

A big thank you from Randy and me as well. We made it home to Lovelock. We hope to see you all plus more at IRG! :D
I promised I would post my Cast Iron Chef winning recipe, so here it is. I will also, per request, my yam recipe I made for the pot luck as well soon. Both recipes are from Byron Bills, from his Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes webpage

NOTE: Preparing this cake in cake is not for the faint of heart. Do as much prep at home as possible. The most difficult part is figuring out how to cool the cake completely in camp. I have included in red what I prepared at home to make putting together in camp easier. This recipe makes a HUGE cake really only appropriate for a large group like a TEARDROP GATHERING! I have successfully make a half recipe in a 8" (probably better in a 10"). I have always been successful with this cake, but I never have cooked it the full time. I would start checking at one hour. The max time I have cooked this cake is 1.25 hours.

Pina Colada Cake:
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
(1) 3.4 oz box vanilla instant pudding
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt
mix the above at home and place in zip lock bag

1 cup + 2 Tbls butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
2 2/3 cup sugar
5 egg white, room temperature
follow recipe for creaming the above ingredients and mix in egg yolks. Put in container and take to camp

1 1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 1/4 cup water
8 egg whites, room temperature
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
bring this separately to camp. I cracked all the eggs and put them in a zip lock back to save space in the cooler. Then I forgot to bring them and had to go buy them at the store at the Dam anyway.

Prepare Cake Batter: Sift together flour, pudding, baking powder, baking soda and salt.(Bag for camp)

In a large mixing bowl beat butter, vanilla, and orange zest until soft. Gradually mix in 2 cups sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks 1 at a time. (2nd container for camp)

At camp Combine pineapple juice and water in a measuring cup. Alternately mix dry and wet ingredients into the butter and egg yolk mixture starting and ending with dry ingredients. DO NOT overbeat the batter. In a separate bowl whip egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually mix in the remaining 2/3 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into batter one half at a time. Batter will be thick.
Grease the bottom and sides of a 12" Dutch Oven. Pour batter into Dutch Oven and spread evenly to sides. Bake at 350 using 10-12 coals bottom and 14-16 coals top until lightly golden and top springs back when touched, about 60-90 minutes. For best results rotate oven and lid 90° in opposite directions every 15 minutes while baking. Allow cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a rack and finish cooling. Cut cake in half horizontally. Separate halves. Place in icebox until chilled.

Make glaze at home

1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup Captain Morgan's Spiced Dark Rum
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Prepare Glaze: Bring pineapple juice, coconut milk, rum, and powdered sugar to boil over medium high heat stirring constantly. Reduce heat and continue to simmer for 10 minutes stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly. Be careful not to burn! Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.

Make frosting at home. I didn't use all the coconut. I put about half the bag IN the frosting itself, then used about 1/4 bag on top after frosting the cake.
8 oz brick cream cheese; softened
1/2 cup butter; softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp coconut extract
(2) 16 oz boxes powdered sugar
2 Tbls Spiced Dark Rum
1/2 cup crushed pineapple; well drained
12 oz flaked coconut

Prepare Frosting: In a large bowl cream together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, coconut extract, and rum. Slowly mix in powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Transfer 1 cup frosting to another bowl and stir in pineapple.
Assemble Cake: Brush all of the glaze over the cut sides of both halves of cake. Set 1 cake layer on a plate cut side face up. Spread with pineapple frosting. Top with second cake layer, cut side down. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Press coconut into frosting on top and sides of cake. Return to icebox and chill for 1 hour.
Garnish with whipped cream and sliced strawberries (I did not use this, it seem too much to me). Serves: 18 or way more.
:ilovecamp: :woohoo: :rainy:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Sweet Potatoes and Yams, from DAM potluck night.

Sweet Potatoes And Onions
2 yellow onions; thinly sliced
4 Tbs. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
4 lbs. sweet potatoes; peeled & thinly sliced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup butter; melted
4 tsp. dried thyme

Arrange onion slices in bottom of a well oiled 12" Dutch oven. Sprinkle with brown sugar, salt and pepper. Layer sweet potato slices over onions, overlapping.

I forgot, I doubled this recipe for the Dam Gathering.

In a small bowl combine maple syrup, melted butter, and thyme. Pour over sweet potatoes and onions.

Place lid on Dutch oven and bake using 10-12 briquettes bottom and 12-14 briquettes top for 1 hour or until sweet potatoes and onions are tender.

Serves: 10-12
Last edited by nevadatear on Sun May 06, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby donn-donna » Sun May 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks Debbie for posting those 2 recipes. That cake was scrumpdileishis but I agree that putting it together is not for the faint of heart. Maybe I'll try the sweet potato dish first because it looks simple and it too was yummy. See you at IRG. :ok: :clapping hands: :woohoo: :goodnight:
Teardrop hugs from Donna & Donn
donn-donna
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks Donna!. So good seeing you guys again. Hopefully we will be able to park a little closer to you all at IRG and spend a little more time with ya'll! Take care and absolutely see you at IRG. Got to find a new potluck recipe, or maybe just do the Yams again. They are indeed easy. Definitely not the cake! :?
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Reddiver » Mon May 07, 2012 9:28 am

I missed the cake . But I was wondering who and how made the sweet potato dish it was great. I will have to make that..
I was asked for the recipe for La Tortuga 's Chicken Enchilada thing. It is so easy I am a little embarrassed to post among such great Dutch Oven cooks.

I used 1 cooked chicken ( I just bought a roasted chicken at Safeway)
2 jars of Safeway Select green chili salsa
2cans of sliced olives
1 can of whole corn
1 small can of diced chiles.
corn tortillas
grated mexican cheese
1 cup of sour cream
I pick the meat off the chicken at home ... In camp drain liquid off all cans mix I jar of salsa with chicken corn olives chiles add more salsa if you think you need it. Layer meat mix cheese torttillas until you fill your oven One layer put the sour cream more cheese meat tortillas repeat . The last layer I poured some more salsa on it and a lot of cheese..cook until the cheese gets all brown and good.

I had a great time Thanks to Grant and all who made this a not to miss trip every year
Steve
Reddiver
Donating Member

Postby Newfisher » Mon May 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Thank you Grant for all you do to put this on. I had a great time and after only having the trailer for 3 weeks, thought I pulled off a great weeekend with the help of all of you who attended. Will definately make the next one! Thanks Shane :stompspam: ( I have wanted to use that emocicon, but never could till now LOL) for sharing a spot with me, I didn't end up bringing my dog(s) and Dex was a good camp mate!
Newfisher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TENNJIM » Mon May 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Home again today! A really huge THANK YOU to Grant and others involved in putting on a great Dam Gathering. It was good to meet friends and make new ones. The weather turned out fine after a Thursday of rain. We had a wonderful time.
:applause: :applause: :applause:
Jim and Sheryl / Ogden Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon May 07, 2012 11:46 pm

What a blasT! Enjoyed meeting newbies and greeting "oldies"
throughout the 4 days we stayed. Thanks to Grant, Kay & That " Dam Committee" for a Great event.
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby campmaster-k » Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 am

Many thanks to everyone who helped me to fit in. The Dam Gathering was a life changing experience . Thank you so much for your efforts - Dean and Jonie, Grant and Kay, Doug Hodder and all the Coleman Keepers. Thanks to everyone who cooked in the cook off. Thanks to the other Dean who makes it his mission make all newcomers welcome and connected. Thanks to everyone who made the effort and brought lanterns for the light up.

I will be back. 8)
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby rmclarke » Tue May 08, 2012 3:23 pm

A big thank you from me and Elaine, too! To Grant and Kay and everyone who made that splendid event happen!

Being it was only our second gathering (and such a large one at that), I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about how we would 'fit in' with all the other
traditional tears, but I'm happy to say my fears were put to rest immediately. Everyone was real friendly and just great! There were so many people there though, it's hard to talk to and get to know everyone in 3 short days :( but I guess that's why we need to come back next year, right? :)

Very nice to meet and get to know you all in our little 'surrounding' neighborhood; Chuck, Fred, Dick, Joanie, Dan, Big Al and Charlie. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We were especially fortunate to be able to park right next to the Brewmeister! ;) :beer: :beer: :FNP :lol: :lol: Awesome stuff, Chas!
Hope to see you all (and lots of new friends) at the IRG!!
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby rmclarke » Tue May 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Oh, I almost forgot....for those who missed getting any of this (it disappeared so quickly!) A picture to remember and drool by:
That CAKE (thanks Debbie!)
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby nevadatear » Tue May 08, 2012 6:15 pm

My cake! and my husband's hands. thanks! :lol:
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Keith » Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 am

What a week of camping. Sheila and I along with my parents left Antlers yesterday afternoon. I think we were the last ones out. Sheila and I got to camp there for a full week. What a way to celebrate my 50th birthday.

Thanks Grant and the plotting begins. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Keith
Keith
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson State