Time to vie for Pamplin Grove...

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Postby mvperini » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:52 pm Post subject: Side line comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter spent five months in Portland in 2010. She is a Chem Eng. for Intel and was transferred up there for a fab. My wife went up the three different times to visit. She really fell in love with the Portland area during that time.

But on to my real question; is Pamplin Grove so popular that a fellow needs to camp out there early to get a reservation? Wow.
Mikey

Joanie or dean would be the better persons to ask that question, But i was born and rasied in Humbolt county Califorina and the redwood grove at pamplin grove is real special. and day use of the county park for weddings and reunions will take up a lot of the days the park is open in the summer. So if you want a week or day you have to be in line or it will be gone.

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby Gage » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Here's a couple of pictures to show a little of what it's like. For the most part, it's not a campground. It's just a neat place to camp. :thumbsup: It's wilderness camping, no hook-ups :o

Image Image
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

food

Postby mvperini » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Gage

and if the view is not enough there is always the food :lol:

Mike

1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Re: food

Postby Gage » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:10 pm

mvperini wrote:Gage
and if the view is not enough there is always the food :lol:
Mike
I agree. Best Pot Luck on the West Coast. :thumbsup:

Image Image
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Side line comment

Postby Eunice » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:30 pm

But on to my real question; is Pamplin Grove so popular that a fellow needs to camp out there early to get a reservation? Wow.
Mikey[/quote]

You can see by the pictures that it is a beautiful area. it is a county park but by reservataion only. So there are people trying to reserve it for weddings, family reunions, etc. Since Dean and Kevin have been camping out to be first in line it has become really something. food and fun for all. They reallly want July but so do a lot of other folks!
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

local wildlife

Postby mvperini » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:04 pm

do not forget your camera for pictures of the local wildlife :roll:

Mike

1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Re: Side line comment

Postby dguff » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Eunice wrote:But on to my real question; is Pamplin Grove so popular that a fellow needs to camp out there early to get a reservation? Wow.
Mikey

You can see by the pictures that it is a beautiful area. it is a county park but by reservataion only. So there are people trying to reserve it for weddings, family reunions, etc. Since Dean and Kevin have been camping out to be first in line it has become really something. food and fun for all. They reallly want July but so do a lot of other folks![/quote]

The camping for a spot is not done at Pamplin Grove but at the office of the Dept of Public Works for Humboldt County in Eureka, CA. The county facility at Pamplin Grove can be reserved on a "first come, first served" basis on the first working day of the New Year. This will probably be on January 3, 2012 since Monday the 2nd will be a work holiday.

To be among the first in line to get your preferred dates for 2012 many folks establish a waiting list well before the first work day of 2012. Dean, Joanie and Kevin have been among the first few on the list, if not actually first , for each of the IRG Gatherings and they have always gotten the desired dates. :applause: The protocol requires that when you sign up for the waiting list you must maintain your position, although there is no actual physical line. The waiting list is the "line". The people waiting all hang out together for food, companionship and line integrity. You can have a substitute from time to time so either Dean, Joanie, or Kevin is always there 24/7 during the waiting period. It always helps the comfort level to have a place to sit and sleep and cook so we usually have at least a couple of teardrops there. I help out from time to time to do a little cooking and run some errands as well as supply some moral support but I usually do not stay overnight even when I have a teardrop at the site. Other teardroppers from the local area also stop by. Everyone is welcome.
:thumbsup:
The organizers really give a lot of effort to reserve Pamplin Grove for another IRG and to make it a big success. :applause:

I hope my description of the process is accurate and understandable. If have made errors I hope that they will be corrected.

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jhb » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Hey Dean, I've a grand baby due July 16 (plus or minus 2 weeks...), could you please plan around that 'cus I'll be in a manure truck load of trouble when I get back from IRG having missed the birth... :lol:

Besides, who's going to bring shrimp if I'm not there? :thinking:
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:29 pm

When is it going to be?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:30 pm

We'll know that on the 3rd. Typically they shoot for the 2nd-3rd week of July. That's nice because the river is warm enough to swim in and it's nice and cool there since that's the hot time usually in the rest of the state. One year...we left 100+ temps only to get there and have it be in the upper 70's...what a relief that was! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby jhb » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Four years ago we had fog mornings and evenings, burning off during mid-day, and since I live at the beach fog is not my idea of perfect weather (but it beats 100+), two years ago the weather was absolutely perfect!

But watch out for those guys with their Colemans and white gas... :lol:

Doug: You building a new trailer for this year or you bringing the standie again?
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Nope John....no build going...still working out some details on the next one, working on color combos and interior design...I'm gonna bring the Voyager this year. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kevin A » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm finally home, hoping to do whatever i can to help get the dates we want..... :twisted:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby dmb90260 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:35 pm

doug hodder wrote:Nope John....no build going...still working out some details on the next one, working on color combos and interior design...I'm gonna bring the Voyager this year. Doug

So, who really believes that?? :o :lol: :lol:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:52 am

The bay clams for the clam chowder are cleaned and frozen...
The razor clams for the clam fritters are cleaned and frozen as well...
Just need to get out in the ocean, either Friday or Saturday morning to get crab to cook.
New Year's Eve at the Public Works should be a nice trifecta of local winter seafood.
Razor clamming on Clam Beach was wicked this past Friday... It was an awesome -1.58 tide but the 12' ocean swells allowed for several rouge waves. Being slammed onto the hard pack beach by six foot waves is not fun...

It's looking like it's going to be good chowder weather... :R
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson State