The Dam is Done!

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

The Dam is Done!

Postby grant whipp » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Yes, after a mostly-fabulous 22-year run, The Dam Gathering of the Tears is now officially retiring for good. The lake is DRY and so am I. It's our turn to play! We would like to thank nearly each and every one of the good folks who attended over the years ... without you, it would not have been!

We are guessing that a handful of people might still want to go to Antlers, and that's O.K. ... go and have fun! ... but there will be no organization from our end, and the name "Dam Gathering of the Tears" (in whole or in part) will not and can not be attached to it. For those who have already reserved space for 2016, there's plenty of time to get refunded (remember, you've got to cancel at least 45 days before your first day of reservation).

Happy Camping, Everyone ... we'll be seeing many of you somewhere sometime down the road! As always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Re: The Dam is Done!

Postby mkitchen » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:22 pm

Sorry to hear that there will no longer be a Dam event but you deserve a hats off from all of us. You and a few others have done so much to promote this fun way of travel.
Thank you.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:31 pm

How is that :thinking:
Who has made this decision :NC
And for what reason :roll:
Did an edict come down from the Tear Jerkers?
Did a vote take place somewhere??
Did Lydia throw in the towel???
Did everyone who has enjoyed this event in the past go away mad after last year????
Did the people at the Antlers kick us out?????
How does the largest Teardrop Gathering in the Country in 2013, go to "Done" in such a short time??????
Sorry Grant, that I missed our chat earlier this week...........but, am I really missing something here? :oops:
I can appreciate your love for the game and the love for a truly wonderful event that you can take full credit for creating and maintaining.........but unfortunately, to me, this sounds like disgruntled children taking their ball and bat and leaving the park.
While other would like to stay on and enjoy the game. :thinking:
It has always been my demeanor to say what I am thinking, and not to sit back because someone might get their knickers in a knot.
I can only see this as Bull sh**.........maybe only my opinion!!!
Please tell me what I am missing here?
Good Roads
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:56 am

Brian, my Friend, you of all people know that there is far more that goes on behind the scenes of these kinds of events than the usual participants ever know about ... and for you to question our decision like this, I find rather curious ... :thinking:

I'm not going to go into a long dissertation as to the "whys and whatnots", but I will say a few of things:
1) Lydia was part of the discussion & decision-making process
2) Even though the TearJerkers name was added a few years ago, it was as a "sponsorship" role only, and had no authority or say-so in or with the event
3) When the negatives outweigh the positives, it's time to move on

We've watched as a couple of other past events have been turned over to other folks to run, then slowly petered out and died ... we didn't want that to happen to the Dam Gathering. And while I, personally, think the event "jumped the shark" in 2014, we thought it best if we end it on a high note ... :D

'Nuf said! We will be seeing you down the road!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby gudmund » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:55 pm

am going to miss it!! I still have to say - I wish I had gotten the Teardrop bug years earlier, cause I missed a hell of lot!!!! and in the few years I gotten to participate at the Dam - IT WAS GREAT !!!! and IT WILL BE MISSED! Only got to go to the last 3 and I now wish even more that it could have been more!!! (when we voted for/against the every other year opposite the IRG deal last year, I'm still thinking it could have worked but Oh Well, it's going to be missed!!!! Take care and I'll see you down the road (as in IRG? - maybe?) hope married like is going well - take care and GOOD LUCK!!!!!! Ted Hoefer Camano Island, Wash.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby TENNJIM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for many, good memories. Wishing you both the very best and hope to see you down the road.
:beer: :wine:
Jim and Sheryl / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Done? Dam!

:thinking: I seem to remember, back in 2014, that Grant said that was his last year to host the Dam Gathering and most everyone said "We're coming anyway!" So, Grant hosted it one more year. So, what's wrong with saying "We're coming anyway!" again, even if Grant isn't hosting it?

This past spring, we reserved our camp sites directly from the Antler's RV Park & Campground management, not through Grant. We don't need tons of games and activities or fancy T-shirts and magnets/stickers, etc. It can just be a low-key gathering of friends. I am guessing that some people already made their reservations for 2016 at last spring's gathering, didn't they? All you need to do is decide to do it and follow through with a reservation. Plan ahead and buddy up to share a campsite.

However, since we are being threatened by a Godzilla El Nino, maybe you'll want to wait until next April to make any reservations? Remember the "Damp Gathering"? (Also, if it's going to rain, stay away from site A56 as it becomes a lake when it rains. You can guess how I know. :lol: )

Maybe Grant is the smart one. He doesn't want to chance another "Damp" gathering. HaHa! :lol:

So, if you've got it on your mind to do it, just get your friends/group together and do it....but, keep an eye on the weather!

PS. I believe that Shasta Dam was finished in 1945. That's when the dam was "done", literally.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cdfnchico » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:11 pm

We made our reservations before we left last year, and we can't imagine NOT camping with teardrop friends "the first weekend in May" so we plan to return to Antlers and hope we see some of you there. It is an awesome way to kickoff our camping season.

Thank you Grant and Kay for hosting all these years. We DO appreciate all the hard work that has gone in to it! And I know it is a bit of a trek for some folks, and we'll miss those who choose not to make the trip. For those who are wondering whether you should or not..."we'll keep the light on for ya!"
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:56 pm

cdfnchico wrote:We made our reservations before we left last year, and we can't imagine NOT camping with teardrop friends "the first weekend in May" so we plan to return to Antlers and hope we see some of you there. It is an awesome way to kickoff our camping season.

Thank you Grant and Kay for hosting all these years. We DO appreciate all the hard work that has gone in to it! And I know it is a bit of a trek for some folks, and we'll miss those who choose not to make the trip. For those who are wondering whether you should or not..."we'll keep the light on for ya!"

:applause: :applause: :applause: Love your reply! :applause: :applause: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:05 pm

Found this on the Tearjerkers website:

2016 Shasta Lake Gathering April 28-May 1

postby Lydia M » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Hello All!
As has been announced, the Dam Gathering of the Tears has been disbanded. However! This leaves room for the First Annual Shasta Lake Gathering!

I have spoken to the Antler's Resort - they will continue the $11/trailer/night without hookups, $15/trailer/night with hookups as they have in the past. This rate is valid for Thursday April 28 - Sunday May 1. If you plan to attend, please let me know so we know to watch out for you! Reservations can be made with Antler's Resort by calling 800-234-3924 or emailing [email protected], or you can just roll in and we'll make room. Make sure you specify that you will be part of the Shasta Lake Gathering to get the special rate.

See ya'll in a couple months!

Lydia
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Vedette » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:16 am

Thanks Sharon for posting this.
I believe Lydia is having trouble getting back on this Forum. :thinking:
And not everyone switches back and forth on the two Forums like we do!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:35 pm

Vedette wrote:Thanks Sharon for posting this.
I believe Lydia is having trouble getting back on this Forum. :thinking:
And not everyone switches back and forth on the two Forums like we do!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

I talked to the people at Antlers today and they were getting ready to send an email out to those Tearjerkers who gave their email address. (Not everybody did.) The RV sites are filling up fast.

Reservation phone# (800)238-3924 In the winter, it seems to be easiest to find them in the office in the mornings.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Liddybug » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:15 pm

I am finally here... Finally...

I do have trouble getting on the forums - my home computer is less than reliable and I don't always have time at work. Thank you Sharon for helping to spread the word!

I'll post more info about the Shasta Lake Gathering when the details develop :)

Lydia
Jefferson State TearJerkers Director
Liddybug
Teardrop Builder

Postby Reddiver » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:26 pm

:beer: :thumbsup: :D :beer:
Steve
Reddiver
Donating Member

Postby robfisher » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:02 pm

I'm just wondering if my closet full of Dam T-shirts are now worth something. Or maybe they are contraband. Oh I just can't figure this out.

Thanks Grant for a great ride.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Jefferson State