Is this the ultimate road bike?

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby Arne » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:12 am

my ultimate road bike...

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mi7d1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:02 pm

Just to let you folks know, I've uploaded some more pictures of the 'Bennett Buckboards' Sam Bennett was at the 'World Human Powered Speed Challenge' for a couple of days last week. He brought several bikes with him including a two wheel drive one. Since I get a lot of page hits on my flickr account from here I thought I'd let you all know. Start here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmbates/page19/

There are 28 photos. The older man in the blue and red sleeve shirt is the designer and builder of the worlds fasted bike in the flying 200m. A new world record was set last week by Sam Whittingham in the Varna Diablo II with a speed of 82.33mph The builder is seen talking with Sam Bennett about the elegance and simplicity of the 'Bennett Buckboards'

To add to the thread here is a video of the 'ultmate human powered speed bike' No Drafting, pedal power only, 82.33 mph

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmbates/28 ... 315694076/

Bill Bates

Alan Wood wrote:
Greg M wrote:
Alan Wood wrote:Mike, you might want to look up recumbent buckboard. Relatively simple design but fairly impressive at the same time.
Alan Wood

And they ride really nice. I had a chance to ride a couple of Sam Bennett's (that's the designer/builder) Buckboards at last year's Human Powered Challenge and was very impressed.

-Greg

Ah having the builders name did the trick. Mike there is a photo of it at http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmbates/2190542474/
Alan Wood
[/url]
Last edited by mi7d1 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
mi7d1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:30 am

Road bikes ....Recumbents rule ...Simple aerodynamics...The riders here complain of doing a 75 miler ,when they get there ,the recumbent guys are waiting for them and ready to do another 75 :o More comfortable for us old guys too...
Off Road ... Mountain bikes
Sidewalk...Hello kitty hahahahahaa :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mi7d1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:41 am

This is my personal ultimate road bike. OK, so it's a trike but the state considers it a bike by law. I use the velomobile for commuting to work. It protects me from the elements. I surprised my bike club when I took it on a dirt trail for five miles to beat them to the A&W where I received 'carhop' service.

mi7d1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:00 am

I like the buckboard... front wheel drive. I've often wondered why there aren't more fwd bikes to get rid of a lot of weight.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby john » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:32 am

Buckboard? A google search gave me some kids riding a bucket on a skate board.

Is that the near unicycle antique with giant front wheel and tiny rear wheel? :lol: :lol:
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:29 am

Gary J wrote:Mike,

Shouldn't the ultimate bike come with pedals? Don't think turning the crank with my big toes stuck in those little crank holes is going to be comfortable.
:thumbdown:
Gary

Not so -- you'd just have to throw them away and get what you want anyway. Everybody has a different idea what peddles they like and when you are dropping $4K on a bike, then you already know what kind you want and don't need no stinking manufacturer putting some junk on there.

This is my ride, except I'm running titanium Speedplay pedals (75 grams each) and rather than the American Classics Wheel set, I'm running Easton wheels, and I have a tripple crank in the front because I got 50 year old knees that I MIGHT have abused at some point. It rides like butter, carves like a knife and peddles stiff as a rock -- by far the best bike I have ever owned.

I tried a recumbent for a season but they are slower overall in the area that I ride because there are some hills. They are so slow up the hills that you never make it up going down hill. They are more comfortable on your butt and neck, but it bothered my knees to ride one. After I got a GOOD road bike virtually all of the pain went away. It ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to get a proper fit at a good reputable bike shop. It makes all the difference in the world (or at least it did for me).

The ultimate bike hasn't been built yet, but for $10K you can get a sub 15 Lb killer.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:22 pm

kennyrayandersen wrote:
Gary J wrote:Mike,

Shouldn't the ultimate bike come with pedals? Don't think turning the crank with my big toes stuck in those little crank holes is going to be comfortable.
:thumbdown:
Gary

Not so -- you'd just have to throw them away and get what you want anyway. Everybody has a different idea what peddles they like and when you are dropping $4K on a bike, then you already know what kind you want and don't need no stinking manufacturer putting some junk on there.

This is my ride, except I'm running titanium Speedplay pedals (75 grams each) and rather than the American Classics Wheel set, I'm running Easton wheels, and I have a tripple crank in the front because I got 50 year old knees that I MIGHT have abused at some point. It rides like butter, carves like a knife and peddles stiff as a rock -- by far the best bike I have ever owned.

I tried a recumbent for a season but they are slower overall in the area that I ride because there are some hills. They are so slow up the hills that you never make it up going down hill. They are more comfortable on your butt and neck, but it bothered my knees to ride one. After I got a GOOD road bike virtually all of the pain went away. It ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to get a proper fit at a good reputable bike shop. It makes all the difference in the world (or at least it did for me).

The ultimate bike hasn't been built yet, but for $10K you can get a sub 15 Lb killer.

We have sold bikes for less then 10k that way less than 15..
We have several at less than 14
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:04 am

No doubt you are right. My LBS Fort Worth Cycle and Fitness built a Kuota KOM for very near 13 lb, but I don't know the final total cost. The bikes can't be less than 15 lbs to be UCI compliant; so, most of them are still hovering around 15 lb mark. I admittedly don't know the exact number on the very elite bikes because once they start hitting $4-4.5K I'm maxed out on what I can morally justify spending on one (for me anyway -- I got some doctor friends that regularly drop $10K on their bikes). If you got the money though, there are some really stunning hardware available. That's why I said the ultimate bike ain't been built yet, it's just around the corner.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm

kennyrayandersen wrote:No doubt you are right. My LBS Fort Worth Cycle and Fitness built a Kuota KOM for very near 13 lb, but I don't know the final total cost. The bikes can't be less than 15 lbs to be UCI compliant; so, most of them are still hovering around 15 lb mark. I admittedly don't know the exact number on the very elite bikes because once they start hitting $4-4.5K I'm maxed out on what I can morally justify spending on one (for me anyway -- I got some doctor friends that regularly drop $10K on their bikes). If you got the money though, there are some really stunning hardware available. That's why I said the ultimate bike ain't been built yet, it's just around the corner.

There are at least a few production bikes that are quite light right out of the box. to make them UCI compliant the Pros just add steal cages, comfy seats. It is easy enough to make them legal. Most of our local racers.. don't have any UCI concerns. We don't have the market for much in the $10k area here, but $7k to $8k is common.

Our lightest is for a Doctor.. and he is short so it is a nice small frame. :lol:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:47 pm

mi7d1 wrote:This is my personal ultimate road bike. OK, so it's a trike but the state considers it a bike by law. I use the velomobile for commuting to work. It protects me from the elements. I surprised my bike club when I took it on a dirt trail for five miles to beat them to the A&W where I received 'carhop' service.

that is a real sweet bike also. I would like one of those some day. Do they make a tandem version??
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Previous

Return to Bicycles