Have I got a bike story to tell you!!!

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Have I got a bike story to tell you!!!

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 25, 2009 11:39 am

Chell and I decided to take a long bike ride this morning. From Lake Orion we figured we go to Rochester on Paint Creek Trail, then cross over to Clinton River trail and go to Bloomer Park, another place with bike trails.

Now keep in mind, that we've never ridden real bike trails before... we've only ridden on rails to trails path, which are old railroads that have been converted to bike paths, smooth and nicely graveled.

Anyways, we get to Bloomer Park, via the back entrance. We didn't even know we were in the park because it wasn't marked or anything. Anyways very quickly the trail turned very bumpy with lots of stones and branches. Then the trail got very narrow and it started getting very hilly. A few minutes later it started getting very muddy.

That's when it happened. Chell's peddle hit the side of the hill and threw Chell off the bike, right smack into the middle of a mud hole. There she lay, unable to get up, covered with mud from head to toe, laughing... well she was almost crying!!!

Normally I take my camera with me on bike rides, and today was no exception. I hadn't taken any pictures up to this point, but I figured, now it was time to.

So here we were, 13 miles from home... no clothes, no towels, nothing!!!

Anyways, Chell had to get undressed, and wash her clothes out in the river. We did the best job we could under the circumstances. Then along comes a lady walking her dog, and after telling her the story, she told us where we could find a beach of sorts.

So we turned around to head to the beach, and my tire slipped in the mud, and I partially fell into the mud hole as well. I did catch myself, and was able to limit the mud to my hands and my feet. :phew:

Chell really enjoyed that beach. She wandered in the up to her knees, and got all the mud off of her. But of course at that point we were no longer interested in exploring Bloomer Park. (Mental note to self: pack a towel for Chell!")

Here's a few photos of the event...
Chell after landing in the mudhole...

Not very happy...

Nasty mud hole

After I took a fall on edge of mud hole

That's as clean as I am going to get...

Do you want your rubber duckie?

All wet, squishy tennis shoes, you get the idea...

Trip computer... total miles 26, accumlated pedaling time 3 hours.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Juneaudave » Mon May 25, 2009 12:42 pm

Man...now that's a mud hole!!!! Sounds like a fun trip despite it all!!!
:thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon May 25, 2009 1:03 pm

Glad Chell wasn't injured.
Now Mike... Tell me... Did wrestling around in the mud together cross your mind? :lol:

That beats what the kids and I did this morning...
We headed to the beach at 5:30am, hoping for each of us to limit out on razor clams.
After pounding the surf and sand for almost four hours, getting soaked to our belt lines, we decided to call it quits since we had more clams than anyone else.
More Clams... Yaa... Uh-Huh.
True, but more accurate... I just finished frying up the clam we brought home. (All one of him) :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 25, 2009 1:05 pm

Yes it was a fun trip...

And the day before yesterday this was the highlight...

Here he's just a few feet away from me...

Apparently I'm not that scary on a bike, as he just wandered away!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I just finished frying up the clam we brought home. (All one of him) :lol:

Nope, the mudhole definitely made for a soft landing. Other than a bruise on one leg, no injuries...

As for your clam trip, did you have fun? Sometimes it only takes one!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon May 25, 2009 1:47 pm

hey, no injuries, except for ego... these are the most interesting.... and fun.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon May 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Mike,
I'd say 4-6 razors would make a nice meal, but one just makes you want more.
Mountain biking is fun... So is getting muddy.
I've seen more wildlife on my mountain bike than when hiking or driving.
Sounds like you guys are getting into it... Almost 9mph average, that's pretty good for trails. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby hiker chick » Mon May 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Better mud than hard ground. And I'm impressed Chell did not mud wrestle you for that camera!

26 miles -- bravo!!

:o :lol: :applause:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Tue May 26, 2009 1:00 am

Going over the bars can be dicey business – glad she is OK and it makes a great story. It took me about three of those before I learned to stay off that dad-gummed left brake until I needed it and then to keep my CG aft. It is stunning how fast an MTB will throw you (I rode road bikes for 12-13 year and NEVER went over the bars!). :thumbsup:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby chamas » Tue May 26, 2009 10:50 am

Hi all....

Yes I am fine only have a bruise on my calf where I must have hit the seat when I went flying.

Just for the record, I did not go over my handle bars. When my peddle hit the side of the hill it caused my bike to stop and then I went off the left side not over the handle bars. Luck for me. Lord was watching out for me and even gave me a soft landing.
This is Chell's appraisal formed in my mind about this particular matter. :-) Chell of www.tnttt.com formally www.mikenchell.com
chamas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mauleskinner » Tue May 26, 2009 11:02 am

chamas wrote:Just for the record, I did not go over my handle bars.

Which record were you going for? :lol:

Glad to hear you're relatively intact, though. :thumbsup:

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby chamas » Tue May 26, 2009 2:24 pm

The flying high record of course, there isn't any other records are there when this happens. :shock: :shock:

Although it could have been the "I have fallen and can't get up record" cuz that was me.... :x

Since Mike was with me he saved me otherwise I think I would still be stuck in the mud. That a boy Mike!!!! :twisted:

Then I just was like. :? :? :shock: :? :?
This is Chell's appraisal formed in my mind about this particular matter. :-) Chell of www.tnttt.com formally www.mikenchell.com
chamas
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hotrod » Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 pm

starting to work with my 8 year old daughter on the off road type biking, shes got good leg strength but lacks confidence. It will come with time. glad to see you were not hurt! Ego bruises heal....lol keep on pedalin!
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby kennyrayandersen » Tue May 26, 2009 9:12 pm

If you are never falling or crashing… you ain’t riding hard enough! No shame in falling; or, occasionally getting flung from the bike!
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sun May 31, 2009 7:40 pm

:lol: :lol: nice

she is not muddy enough.. face first are the good ones..

I am glad no one was hurt.

Where are the helmets ??
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Next

Return to Bicycles