Paired Spoke Pattern

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Paired Spoke Pattern

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:26 pm

I've been looking at a nice looking Schwinn Broadway bike at Costco. The tapered wheels look stronger in design and the spokes, 24 on each wheel, are paired close together. The bike has some very nice features including a nice rack frame on the back. My concern is the goofy spoke pattern. Don't know if the wheels will stay true as I've never seen a wheel like it. Any ideas or experience with them?
It's just like this one but $259.00 in the store. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:54 pm

I looks like to me the sides of the rims are a little bit taller that most rims. That may be the reason for fewer spokes. I know that Trek racing bike have had a similar spoke design in the past. I did a couple Google search and all of the the rims with low spoke count were big$$$$$.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:10 am

Whether those wheels will stay true or not, I can't say. In general paired spokes like that are not a problem.

This is a Schwinn, but it is not the same bike we grew up with. The company went bankrupt, some bought the name, and is trying to cash in on the name, by selling lesser bikes. Will the bike fit you. Bikes generally come in sizes, this one comes in one.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby kennyrayandersen » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 am

Well I'll be trickled down -- all of the more expensive bikes have been running those aero-spoked wheels for awhile. These are probably a cheaper version obviously (I got my wheels on sale for $550 a pair), but since they switched to the larger/fewer/aero spokes I can't even remember the last time I used my spoke wrench -- I still have it! just never need it any more. The 36 spokes wheels that we used to have back 8-10 years ago needed adjusting CONSTANTLY and were a real pain. I've also not broken a spoke since, so my guess is they should do pretty well for you :thumbsup: Those ain't your daddy's wheels! (and thank goodness!) :lol:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:19 pm

kennyrayandersen wrote:Well I'll be trickled down -- all of the more expensive bikes have been running those aero-spoked wheels for awhile. These are probably a cheaper version obviously (I got my wheels on sale for $550 a pair), but since they switched to the larger/fewer/aero spokes I can't even remember the last time I used my spoke wrench -- I still have it! just never need it any more. The 36 spokes wheels that we used to have back 8-10 years ago needed adjusting CONSTANTLY and were a real pain. I've also not broken a spoke since, so my guess is they should do pretty well for you :thumbsup: Those ain't your daddy's wheels! (and thank goodness!) :lol:

If your 36 spoke wheels needed constant work.. they were not built properly. They can be very reliable.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Fenlason wrote:
kennyrayandersen wrote:Well I'll be trickled down -- all of the more expensive bikes have been running those aero-spoked wheels for awhile. These are probably a cheaper version obviously (I got my wheels on sale for $550 a pair), but since they switched to the larger/fewer/aero spokes I can't even remember the last time I used my spoke wrench -- I still have it! just never need it any more. The 36 spokes wheels that we used to have back 8-10 years ago needed adjusting CONSTANTLY and were a real pain. I've also not broken a spoke since, so my guess is they should do pretty well for you :thumbsup: Those ain't your daddy's wheels! (and thank goodness!) :lol:

If your 36 spoke wheels needed constant work.. they were not built properly. They can be very reliable.

That's what I heard too, but that means all four wheel sets I had in the past that were the old style much have been built by dopes (a possibility). One thing is for sure though -- I'm on my second set of the larger/more aero/fewer spokes wheels and I have never even trued one of them in several thousand miles -- that speaks to me. I don't know exactly what has changed in the build process -- it's quite possible it not related to the different spokes -- I just know since I made the switch, it's been completely trouble free. :thumbsup:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:13 am

kennyrayandersen wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

That's what I heard too, but that means all four wheel sets I had in the past that were the old style much have been built by dopes (a possibility). One thing is for sure though -- I'm on my second set of the larger/more aero/fewer spokes wheels and I have never even trued one of them in several thousand miles -- that speaks to me. I don't know exactly what has changed in the build process -- it's quite possible it not related to the different spokes -- I just know since I made the switch, it's been completely trouble free. :thumbsup:

at least in the past most wheels... unless very upper end, from the manufacturers were crap.. they are true.. but the tensions are not equal.

pluck some spokes.. and listen.

Most other mechanics I have met don't understand this.

the lower spoke count wheels generally have stiffer rims which help. Generally a higher spoke tension is needed for them. So even though your wheels might be true.. it does not mean they should not be looked at.. to make sure the proper tension is still there.

with all that said, in general these new wheels are holding up great. I have the most experience with the Mavics :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:22 am

I'm running some Easton tempest IIs right now and they have been a great wheels. I ran the Bontraggers before that and actually fatigued a rim before I ever broke a spoke or had to true them -- I put several thousand miles on them before a crack started (excess tension could have exacerbated the situation, but I don't fault a wheel that can give a fat guy that many miles!). I'm not saying you shouldn't check the tension on them, it just as you pointed out the rims are a bit stiffer (and lighter) and they seem to stay truer better. Your mileage may vary. :thumbsup:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Bicycles