Low cost single speed?

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby drafter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:45 pm

I guess I stand corrected.

I haven't bought anything from the box stores (in many, many, many years)so I really didn't realize how bad things are with them. I definatly wouldn't want to recommend a bike to anyone especially not knowing they aren't of any or poor quality.

I have ridden with friends that have bought Wal-Mart bikes and it worked for them for awhile but they upgraded within a year or so to a much better bike. I never bothered to ask why. I will have to ask next time we ride. I just assumed it was a fit or comfort thing.

I usually wrench on my own bikes and never have had a problem geting parts. I am good friends with our local bike shop owners and they have always treated me great. Never any problems if I need advice or help with something.
drafter
Teardrop Builder

Postby drafter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Fenlason wrote:I am very passionate about cycling.. I want others to do it... and these bicycle shaped objects don't usually bring new people into the sport, it generally has the opposite affect.

I know that applies even to my trap shooting. I own a $2,500.00 trap gun and people think I am nuts. I will let somebody who bought a $100.00 shotgun shoot it and no further explenations needed. It is a quality issue. I see them get discouraged quickly with their shooting and either quit or find themselves having to purchase a better one.

I too enjoy riding, but for me at a more leisurely pace. I would like to see more people in my area start riding more but I will have to make sure to push them twords better bikes.
drafter
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:59 pm

drafter wrote:I guess I stand corrected.

I haven't bought anything from the box stores (in many, many, many years)so I really didn't realize how bad things are with them. I definatly wouldn't want to recommend a bike to anyone especially not knowing they aren't of any or poor quality.

I have ridden with friends that have bought Wal-Mart bikes and it worked for them for awhile but they upgraded within a year or so to a much better bike. I never bothered to ask why. I will have to ask next time we ride. I just assumed it was a fit or comfort thing.

I usually wrench on my own bikes and never have had a problem geting parts. I am good friends with our local bike shop owners and they have always treated me great. Never any problems if I need advice or help with something.

We try to be accommodating to people.. to help them in anyway we can.
There are some parts issues for older bikes regardless of what they are. Some things are a problem some not.
What I was referring to was the suspension parts. If a rear derailure needs replacing I might not have the exact same thing that came on the bike, but I will have something that will work. That is not the case with the suspension parts. If a bushing goes, or a pivot bolt falls out. The part is not available... and this is on brand new bikes. hmm in little little bikes 12 or 16" wheeled stuff. they use bushings now instead of crank bearings. They wear out. They don't make these parts as replacements, and it is not even made to be taken apart, to change these parts. There is no fixing them. They have now become a disposable commodity.. and that's a shame.

Thanks for the shotgun example. now imagine those $100.00 shot guns hurting people..
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:03 pm

drafter wrote:
Fenlason wrote:I am very passionate about cycling.. I want others to do it... and these bicycle shaped objects don't usually bring new people into the sport, it generally has the opposite affect.

I know that applies even to my trap shooting. I own a $2,500.00 trap gun and people think I am nuts. I will let somebody who bought a $100.00 shotgun shoot it and no further explenations needed. It is a quality issue. I see them get discouraged quickly with their shooting and either quit or find themselves having to purchase a better one.

I too enjoy riding, but for me at a more leisurely pace. I would like to see more people in my area start riding more but I will have to make sure to push them twords better bikes.

I can't believe you own a $2,500.00 shotgun... :o :o :o

:lol: :lol: just kidding.. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby drafter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:16 pm

I keep telling people that there is no such thing as a cheap hobby.

I shoot trap around my area as a hobby and competetively. So the better gun was a good choice.
drafter
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:26 pm

drafter wrote:I keep telling people that there is no such thing as a cheap hobby.

I shoot trap around my area as a hobby and competetively. So the better gun was a good choice.

I completely understand.. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Fenlason wrote:
drafter wrote:

I can't believe you own a $2,500.00 shotgun... :o :o :o

:lol: :lol: just kidding.. :D

$2,500.00 for a shotgun..you need a maybe $10,000.00 bike.. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby drafter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 pm

I have a good friend of mine who owns a one of a kind elephant gun. It was a custom job. 500 magnum double barrel. Valued around $60,000.00. I think he paid about $48,000.00 for it. (I guess that is quite a bargain) Can't imagine having that kind of money available.
The trike I am looking at, is $2,000.00.(TerraTrike Tour) That is enough to get me in trouble with my wife. It should be my last bike. I am affraid that when I get mine, she will like it and I will have to buy another one for her. You know the saying," If the wife is happy, I'm happy".
drafter
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:02 pm

drafter wrote:I have a good friend of mine who owns a one of a kind elephant gun. It was a custom job. 500 magnum double barrel. Valued around $60,000.00. I think he paid about $48,000.00 for it. (I guess that is quite a bargain) Can't imagine having that kind of money available.
The trike I am looking at, is $2,000.00.(TerraTrike Tour) That is enough to get me in trouble with my wife. It should be my last bike. I am affraid that when I get mine, she will like it and I will have to buy another one for her. You know the saying," If the wife is happy, I'm happy".

That's one of the reason's I buy tandems.. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Conestoga » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Fenlason wrote:At the shop we call some of these things.. bicycle shaped objects... 8) 8)
it would be funnier if it was not so true.. :(

I am very passionate about cycling.. I want others to do it... and these bicycle shaped objects don't usually bring new people into the sport, it generally has the opposite affect.

I own personally own some pretty exotic equipment, yet I am not a snob. I know there are many people that will never bike like I do and don't need and or can't afford, the fancier stuff. I am fine with that. I just don't like seeing people getting ripped off or stuck with junk.

what Fenlason said :thumbsup:
(but i only have one bike)
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby Conestoga » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:56 pm

artwebb wrote: Conestoga if you've put another $300 or so in your $350 bike over the years, was that mostly upgrades? I've never owned a bike for 20 years, and any bike wears parts over time, but money spent on normal wear and tear to me counts as 'spending more money on it' no more than you'd count money for oil changes as 'spending money on' your car. Replacing brakes, chains, and other wear items isn't 'spending money on it' it's maintaining it. If that's all you've done, it's still a $350 bike that's been maintained. Just Curious/ clarifying.

artwebb
It's a $450 dollar bike that was on sale :) Yes, it's been maintained (and neglected in recent years). The extra $$$ I mentioned dropping into it included accidents*, a busted shifter, and all the "wear items". Was hoping a gel seat cover would fix the wear on my butt, but nooooo.
Last edited by Conestoga on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby drafter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Fenlason wrote:
drafter wrote:I have a good friend of mine who owns a one of a kind elephant gun. It was a custom job. 500 magnum double barrel. Valued around $60,000.00. I think he paid about $48,000.00 for it. (I guess that is quite a bargain) Can't imagine having that kind of money available.

I was told that the true test of marrage was if the husband and wife could travel together on a tandem bike. I was never brave enough to put it to the test. :roll:
drafter
Teardrop Builder

Postby artwebb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:32 am

Hey, sorry about the rant, just verry frustrated. I do know about quality vs. price, as I was a mechanic for awhile, and own lots of tools of many brands. Interestingly, my Great Neck tools (Autozone brand) and Stanly tools (formerly Pop mechanics, sold by Walmart) are perfectly servicable tools, although some would argue Craftsman is better (I would actualy differ as far as ratchets, as my Stanly is a better ratchet than any Craftsman I ever owned), and not one of these companies makes a servicable line wrench. But compared to my prized Snap On tools, well, when my wife asked what the difference was I had her hold, just hold, mind you, similar sized wrenches made by Craftsman and Snap On simultaneously and feel their balance, and the wife, who does no mechanical work did, and said 'oh' and never questioned my tool truck jones again. However, I don't turn my nose up at Stanly tools, as I know they'll get the job done. Now, as far as suspension components, I don't care much for suspension on a bike at all, beyond maybe a springer seat, especialy on a cheap bike, where common sense says the components can't be very good. One of the reasons I latched onto the idea of a Huffy MTB being they actualy offer a bike with no suspension at a friendly price. Huffys I've had before have been good, as I've said, in spite of quite a few people back then calling them junk (70's -90's models) Maybe one out of twenty bike shop guys would admit it was a decent product, if you knew them well, and the rest called them junk. You Fenlason have nothing to gain here, as I'm not likely to go out of state to buy a bike, so I have to take your comments as being the truth as you know it. I just wonder, have you worked (or tried to) on a Huffy recently? Is it possible the recent problems with Huffy could be an ugly rumor started by their competitors? I know guys who, if you listen to them, all Fords are junk, or all Chevys are junk. or all Dodges are junk, and in spite of the fact that I've never had a good Ford, there are guys who love their Fords. And then there are the guys who say anything but a (insert name of pricey car with snob appeal here) it's not worth even a look. Maybe I'll invest a small amount of money on a modern Huffy and see if rumors of the companies bad quality are well founded or not
I'm not old, I'm Vintage!
artwebb
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 pm

artwebb wrote:Hey, sorry about the rant, just verry frustrated. I do know about quality vs. price, as I was a mechanic for awhile, and own lots of tools of many brands. Interestingly, my Great Neck tools (Autozone brand) and Stanly tools (formerly Pop mechanics, sold by Walmart) are perfectly servicable tools, although some would argue Craftsman is better (I would actualy differ as far as ratchets, as my Stanly is a better ratchet than any Craftsman I ever owned), and not one of these companies makes a servicable line wrench. But compared to my prized Snap On tools, well, when my wife asked what the difference was I had her hold, just hold, mind you, similar sized wrenches made by Craftsman and Snap On simultaneously and feel their balance, and the wife, who does no mechanical work did, and said 'oh' and never questioned my tool truck jones again. However, I don't turn my nose up at Stanly tools, as I know they'll get the job done. Now, as far as suspension components, I don't care much for suspension on a bike at all, beyond maybe a springer seat, especialy on a cheap bike, where common sense says the components can't be very good. One of the reasons I latched onto the idea of a Huffy MTB being they actualy offer a bike with no suspension at a friendly price. Huffys I've had before have been good, as I've said, in spite of quite a few people back then calling them junk (70's -90's models) Maybe one out of twenty bike shop guys would admit it was a decent product, if you knew them well, and the rest called them junk. You Fenlason have nothing to gain here, as I'm not likely to go out of state to buy a bike, so I have to take your comments as being the truth as you know it. I just wonder, have you worked (or tried to) on a Huffy recently? Is it possible the recent problems with Huffy could be an ugly rumor started by their competitors? I know guys who, if you listen to them, all Fords are junk, or all Chevys are junk. or all Dodges are junk, and in spite of the fact that I've never had a good Ford, there are guys who love their Fords. And then there are the guys who say anything but a (insert name of pricey car with snob appeal here) it's not worth even a look. Maybe I'll invest a small amount of money on a modern Huffy and see if rumors of the companies bad quality are well founded or not

My knowledge is based on personal experience. Me working on them myself.. and I have worked on Huffys every year for the last 27 years.

Actually I have to correct that.. there was a year or two, at another shop, the owner did not want me to have to work on them.. and actually for a time we did not work on any bikes we had not sold. But other than that.. yeah I work on them all the time.

Exactly what competition is supposed to be telling me Huffy's are bad? Number 1.. I am a mechanic not a buyer.. and no longer even a sales person. Our reps are professional enough, that they do not bad mouth their competitors. If they were inclined to. Huffys would not come even come into the picture. We could not get them to sell if we wanted to.

If what I was sharing was second hand knowledge .. or rumors.. I would have stated that.

As I have said I am not sure I have worked on every model they have ever made.. I also don't see the ones that are working well... which should be obvious.
I am happy to hear they make a bike without suspension..... good luck with it.

as I said a page or two back...

If you have been happy with these bikes go for it.
Last edited by Fenlason on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 pm

drafter wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

I was told that the true test of marrage was if the husband and wife could travel together on a tandem bike. I was never brave enough to put it to the test. :roll:

yes.. they will speed up where your going.. they can strengthen a good marriage, or lead a not so good one to divorce. :o

We mostly do great... and a part of what we enjoy is the teamwork it takes.

I have not done much lately but we used to do a lot of off road riding on our Mountain tandem. On the pavement, we are almost always on the tandem.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles