Low cost single speed?

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 am

Conestoga wrote:thanks artwebb. i'm glad you feel this way about your thread. :campfire:

i don't see anything that would cause embarrassment.
it's just that i'm newbie and i am trying to restrain myself a bit so people don't
roll their eyes and ignore me when i show up on every thread.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 am

Art.. with my knee injury.. I am not sure the other guy did anything. It might have just been some of the genetic instability in my knees, combined with the contortions I did to get out of the full nelson. I guess I don't know for sure.. :thinking: but I never really blamed the other guy.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:01 pm

artwebb wrote:Sometimes I think I'm bipolar :lol: I get all exited about the bike, then get stupid when it reminds me how much WORK riding can be when you're not used to it. I did go for a 45 minute walk last night after logging off, and my knees hurt afterward, but this morning they felt almost normal. Probably I am pushing too big a gear on the bike, and need to drop one. As for taking the bike back, considering I was lucky enough to get a ridable one at a box store, that was a dumb idea. After all, as I get stongr I'll be able to use more gear, have more fun and won't be dependant on my car exept for shopping and such, and if I want to walk, too, that doesn't cost anything, either.
I also found some arthritis advice sites, and for exercise to deal with this problem both cycling and walking are recomended, eiter or, or both. Guess what we've all done that isn't? It starts with an r. So if I restricted myself to walking, I'd have no recomended way to increase the intensity for more cardio, whereas with cycling, yeah.
Funny that 'functional' training is all the rage nowadays when my training has almost alway been functional, rather than bulge-focused, something else we have in common, Fenlason.
Connestoga, I don't remember any non useful posts, and welcome back to the thread. As to making this retroactively private, there might be some 'lurkers' checking it out and getting some therapy of their own, vicariously. If no one else is embarassed by their thoughts here, I'm not either. I'm not a twenty something with an ego anymore, I'm a grown man (with an ego :lol: ) who can admit I'm not superman and I have feelings and can be stupid sometimes and a horse's a$$ sometimes and sometimes should apologise for my cement cramium. There might be others with arthritic knees who are getting something from this.
I might be full of stuff
I'm digging the 'round the campfire' feel' too, but I welcome anyone who's not an a$$ (at least not all the time) arond my fire, and if we need a bigger fire, the merrier.
Drafter, I'm appreciative of your input, too, and I wish I had more recumbent knowlege so I could make some recomendations on that line
Fenlason, I think I know what that guy did to you, as it sounds like the results of a technique I reserve for serious threat situations.
I wish serious practitioners wouldn't teach this stuff to tuff guys to be misused, and I'm sorry that trash used it to 'prove something' against you. I try not to show people stuff like that, and that's one of the reasons I don't teach people self defense techniques anymore, becuase a few of my sheep turned bad after some training. That's the danger of teaching others what you've learned. Not that they'll hurt you, but that they 'll hurt some innocent person. Whoever tought that guy that technique should not have done so, as he was very obviously not responsible enough to have that knowlege. I'm so glad you've managed a healing of this injury, regardless how long it took, and I hope that guy grew up enough to regret it, now

It's ok if your bi.. we won't judge you... :o :lol:

I think having a choice between riding and walking is a good idea... variety is good. To add intensity to your walks when you need it... adding hills of course helps... as does adding weight. I use a weight vest.

I started with a cheapie.. at 25pounds but have moved to a heavier higher quality one. having the weight carried on the body vs ankle and wrist weights are easier on the body.

The cheapie worked good.. it was a department store one.. :D :roll: but I think for the heavier weight.. the better made is better, and I don't think anyone even make cheapies at the greater weight.

If I am walking with others.. and we are going to slow.. I add in some walking lunges.. that will quickly add some intensity.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby artwebb » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:10 am

Good thought on the lunges. There was actualy a pro body builder who was luaded as having the best legs in body building, who used walking lunges for his cardio after he realized that running took muscle off the legs.
As far as hills in Columbus, Tx, there is one that might callenge a walker, for the ten to fifteen seconds it would take to climb it, but the weights are a good idea, vest or simply a back pack with X amont of weight in it. (remember grass drills in full pack? Man I'm glad I never 'jined up') The vest probably makes more sense, though, as the load is more evenly distributed.
Connestoga, I was reminded of your point about wind today, not becuase it slowed me down (although it did) but becuase I realized I'll be needing eye protection of some kind. Flying grit don't feel good :lol:
What kind of contortions did you use to get out of the nelson, Fenlason? I was tought to raise both arms and drop down to escape this hold, among a few more complex techniques. My Kenpo instructor showed a Tiger Tail kick to the groin to begin the festivities (illegal in wrestling, but so was his move) It realy doesn't matter now, just wondering
I'm not old, I'm Vintage!
artwebb
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:43 pm

artwebb wrote:Good thought on the lunges. There was actualy a pro body builder who was luaded as having the best legs in body building, who used walking lunges for his cardio after he realized that running took muscle off the legs.
As far as hills in Columbus, Tx, there is one that might callenge a walker, for the ten to fifteen seconds it would take to climb it, but the weights are a good idea, vest or simply a back pack with X amont of weight in it. (remember grass drills in full pack? Man I'm glad I never 'jined up') The vest probably makes more sense, though, as the load is more evenly distributed.
Connestoga, I was reminded of your point about wind today, not becuase it slowed me down (although it did) but becuase I realized I'll be needing eye protection of some kind. Flying grit don't feel good :lol:
What kind of contortions did you use to get out of the nelson, Fenlason? I was tought to raise both arms and drop down to escape this hold, among a few more complex techniques. My Kenpo instructor showed a Tiger Tail kick to the groin to begin the festivities (illegal in wrestling, but so was his move) It realy doesn't matter now, just wondering

Yes a vest is more balanced.. and more stable. I have read of other.. who have tried packs.. and it can be uncomfortable..and in some cases trashes the pack.

I did at one point when wanting more weight, than my first vest, adding sand ankle and wrist weights to add to a fanny pack.

It did not work well. Im that case the vest came down and interfered with the fanny pack.. and I could not keep the fanny pack up.

My new vest is very high centered... it makes it even harder.. and that is it's intension. In addition to the extra leg and heart and lung work.. it really taxes your core.

I am not sure I was taught much on my High school wrestling team. It was a first year team. We never got enough members to make out a full team, and I don't recall ever competing against another school. I never even had anyone else in my weight class. I either had to practice with someone below.. or above.

If I recall I did raise my arms and I lowered myself some.. and I think just in the turning to face my opponent my leg let go.
I turned quickly and my lower leg did not turn with the rest of me... :o :cry:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby artwebb » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:35 am

Ouch! I actualy was blessed with a verry stout and robust skeletal system, and have had much less in the way of breaks, dislocations, and even sprains and such than I deserved, although I also believe my constant abuse of my joints and muscles may have had something to do with that (along with a serious milk habit as a teenager) so I think I'd view an occurance like that as a personal affront against myself (rational, no?) sort of like I sometimes see the current knee problems as a betrayal by my body (then I remember how much abuse it's absorbed over the years and am amazed at it's resilience)
One of the vids I bought for the wife has a Yoga- type stretching cooldown on it, I may start working that in, too, although I HATE the actual exercise portion of the tape, with all the wierd sort of dance/ jump around/ act silly crap on the main 'workout', and would probably allow chinese water torture before I tried to do that part. Yuck :R
artwebb
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:08 pm

artwebb wrote:Ouch! I actualy was blessed with a verry stout and robust skeletal system, and have had much less in the way of breaks, dislocations, and even sprains and such than I deserved, although I also believe my constant abuse of my joints and muscles may have had something to do with that (along with a serious milk habit as a teenager) so I think I'd view an occurance like that as a personal affront against myself (rational, no?) sort of like I sometimes see the current knee problems as a betrayal by my body (then I remember how much abuse it's absorbed over the years and am amazed at it's resilience)
One of the vids I bought for the wife has a Yoga- type stretching cooldown on it, I may start working that in, too, although I HATE the actual exercise portion of the tape, with all the wierd sort of dance/ jump around/ act silly crap on the main 'workout', and would probably allow chinese water torture before I tried to do that part. Yuck :R

My knee.. I am not sure if it was my body failing me.. or what. I won't ever know..and so I just move forward.

I figure most anything "wrong" with me .. is my own doing in one way or another... so I try to find out how to correct things..

stretching and yoga.. and moving your joints in their full range of motions is all good. jumping around and acting silly... :roll: depends on the person.. 8)

A book. "The Permanent Pain Cure" by Ming Chew. It is not responsible of where I am now.. for it is a new book to me. There is a lot of good stuff in it.

There is an exercise thread in the off topic section. right now.. there are not many people posting.. but we are supposed to be sharing and motivating each other.. to move.. :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby artwebb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 am

Well in that case I'll start posting there, uh, if I ever get off my butt and start DOING some exercise. BSO has been returned. I was not happy with it, and it wasn't realy that practical riding to work. I AM still interested in finding good Tai Chi vids for me and the wife, and am getting more interested in some Yoga, although I learned some years ago that not every vid or book that says 'begining Yoga' is actualy geared for the TRUE beginer, as some of the supposed 'beginer' moves HURT.
Still remembering that 45 minutes the other day, and how good my knees felt the next day, I'm determined to get something going
Thanks, fenlason, connestoga, and drafter, for your time and good advice. May still do the bike thing, if I ever have money for a good bike, but for now I'm thinking my own two feet are my best choice, if only becuase my fitness level is too low to enjoy a bike, and we all know what happens to you if you don't like your choice of exercice; Inertia.
Move forward. As always, good advice
Thx, Art
artwebb
The 300 Club

Postby Conestoga » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Art, maybe in the end you did get what you were looking for: a nice low cost single speed - walking!
However we do have multiple speeds but the gearing is simple :)
Mother nature knows we have to keep moving despite all the wear and tear and ouch.
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby artwebb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Too right.
artwebb
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Bicycles