Bike crash damage report

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Bike crash damage report

Postby mk10108 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Set the scene. Working to get my riding group to draft, speed was 17 mph and I was number two in a four man group. First rider did not have a cycle computer so I called speeds. Lead slowed down as directed, however instead of coasting he applied a bit of brake. I touched his rear wheel and in .5 second was on the ground.

Water bottles ejected 20 yards ahead, Number three man combat rolled over top of my bike and trail rider swerved off into the grass.

Here's the outer helmet damage

The EPS foam cracked through to the inside

I'm from the school of less government and ELECT to wear a bike helmet because I want to. Yesterday I'm glad I did.

I finished up a 50 mile ride and the headache reminded me that if I wasn't wearing a helmet, most likely I would be in the hospital.
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Ouch... and potentially even bigger ouch. That is thee most common cause for crashes in group riding with drafting. I did an end over end with a wheel touch and am grateful that we were going fast enough for me to make a complete revolution flip landing on my butt. That's better than my head or shoulder.

Glad you are okay.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GlamperGirl » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:54 am

I reccomend a helmet to everyone

I went over the handle bars two years ago and went head first into a log.
Still having some issues today
I was wearing a helmet.

The two clubs I ride with won't let you ride unless you have a helmet
"Not all who wander are lost."
J.R.R. Tolkien
GlamperGirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rboser » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:50 am

Glad you are OK. I witnessed an accident many years ago that reinforced my decision to always wear a helmet. Fortunately no serious injuries in that case, but still left an impression.
-Bob
Camp-Inn 560
rboser
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:16 pm

I'm glad you are ok!

25 mph head first into the pavement = death.

I endo'd and dislocated both my shoulders once, saw the pavement go by as my face skidded millimeters from the pavement. I ended up with just 2 little bits of road rash on the face. The helmet took the rest of the fall. This was in 1990 - a time when helmets were hardly used at all by recreational riders.

I hope the other dude was ok (#3) as well.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Helmets could potentially save you from what happened to me.

I had an accident without one 15 years ago. 8 foot drop over a retaining wall onto asphalt, landed on my front wheel and my head. Two point landing. Many stitches to put the right side of my face back on, several ruptured discs in my neck and back, frontal lobe damage resulting in loss of job, marriage, home, pets, boats.... Pretty much everything. Even lost my sense of humor, I was truly a funny guy too. 8)

BTW, I'm feeling much better.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Helmets could potentially save you from what happened to me.

I had an accident without one 15 years ago. 8 foot drop over a retaining wall onto asphalt, landed on my front wheel and my head. Two point landing. Many stitches to put the right side of my face back on, several ruptured discs in my neck and back, frontal lobe damage resulting in loss of job, marriage, home, pets, boats.... Pretty much everything. Even lost my sense of humor, I was truly a funny guy too. 8)

:shock: You think you know someone?? Jesus Steve. That's one of the most heartbreaking bike accidents and "living" consequences I've heard. But at the same time - most incredible attitude towards it all.

Your essence is intact my friend - well intact. I see you landed on your feet with that. :thumbsup:

Scott
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:20 pm

You know what the call cyclists that don't wear helmets, organ donors. :?
Seen too many been in to many accidents to not wear one.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:You know what the call cyclists that don't wear helmets, organ donors. :?
Seen too many been in to many accidents to not wear one.

Funny thing is... this is the most hotly contested subject matter BY OTHER CYCLISTS! I'm talkin' down right hostile.

If you log on to BikeForums.net and just access any thread where that has been debated, it's amazing how many people are opposed to wearing helmets and how angry they are at the suggestion that it could prevent at least serious injury if not death.

Scott
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Bike crash damage report

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 pm

mk10108 wrote:Set the scene. Working to get my riding group to draft, speed was 17 mph and I was number two in a four man group. First rider did not have a cycle computer so I called speeds. Lead slowed down as directed, however instead of coasting he applied a bit of brake. I touched his rear wheel and in .5 second was on the ground.

Water bottles ejected 20 yards ahead, Number three man combat rolled over top of my bike and trail rider swerved off into the grass.

Here's the outer helmet damage

I'm from the school of less government and ELECT to wear a bike helmet because I want to. Yesterday I'm glad I did.

I finished up a 50 mile ride and the headache reminded me that if I wasn't wearing a helmet, most likely I would be in the hospital.

:o :o

Sorry to hear this. I hope you are feeling ok now, and am glad it was not more serious. :worship:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Helmets could potentially save you from what happened to me.

So that explains a lot.. :R :R

seriously dude.. ow.... I am so sorry to hear about all that. :( :worship:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 pm

I to have had significant head injuries from biking.. mine despite wearing a helmet. My cognitive abilities were quite affected for some time. I am mostly normal now, or my normal anyways..

I had my "weirdness" before the accidents..

:lol:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby MountainBiker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:50 pm

I have a friend that won't wear a helmet because it makes him look geeky.
Anyway, in the province of Ontario, you have to where a helmet till you are sixteen...why it stops there, I don't know :thinking:
I quit society when I found out toothpicks came with instructions
MountainBiker
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:26 am

MountainBiker wrote:I have a friend that won't wear a helmet because it makes him look geeky.
Anyway, in the province of Ontario, you have to where a helmet till you are sixteen...why it stops there, I don't know :thinking:

16 - "The Age of Wisdom and Enlightenment" :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:03 am

I try to ride every other day, regardless of the heat. If I didn't, I'd weight 300. I always wear a helmet. Here in Arizona, most morocycle riders don't wear helmets. I always think they look stoopid when they go by with their faces distorted by the wind, tears streaming out of their poorly protected eyes...

I had a front flat rewcently going maybe 5 miles an hour, the bike went completely out from under me. I had no chance to un-clip, and landed head and shoulder on the concrete. I laid there maybe a full minute, mentally checking for injuries. Made it out with only a good sized headache and badly damaged pride. The accident was witnessed by my wife and two small girls on their bikes, all of whom rushed to my aid!

Another time, mountain biking, I tried a pretty steep incline and went over backwards. Helmet and Camelback protected me from major injuries! :thumbsup:

Steve, I am truly sorry about your mishap. We would all be worse off without you!

If biking didn't have its dangers, it wouldn't be as fun. The goal is to minimize the risk, and go for it!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Next

Return to Bicycles