Vintage Bicycles... Share your pics!

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby flip18436572 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:30 pm

I had to reduce the size to make it fit in the album. Most of my pictures are about 6MB each for the quality of the picture. I don't have the bike anymore to take lower quality pictures.

I had to strip it to bare metal, prime, and paint. Most of the paint was baked in the old electric oven I have in my garage. Each part has at least 8 coats of paint. It has a light on the front that was run by 2 D batteries.

Since it was a bike my mother in-law had since she was a little girl, she didn't care about me stripping it and repainting. That is what she wanted. I am not a purist on most things, I am a hot rodder at heart, so I chop, flame, scallop and modify.
flip18436572
Teardrop Master

Postby cuyeda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:53 pm

That is great story that she still had it since childhood. I am sure you did a fantastic job restoring it. Thanks for sharing.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby flip18436572 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:54 pm

She enjoyed me restoring it, so that is really all that matters to me.

Thanks for the positive.
flip18436572
Teardrop Master

Postby Stealth TDI » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Hello,

I've recently jumped back into cycling. I need to get back into shape. Did my first group ride in a while just yesterday. My primary bike for years was my 1997 Trek Y-bike. I rode it with the group yesterday. Then I decided to pull my 1987 Cannondale SR-500 out of retirement. Here it is back when I was racing in 1994:

It still looks the same. I'm about 50-lbs heavier. :( This was just after painting it yellow from a heavily-abused-white. I was pleased to be able to get the decals which feature the original train station logo before Cannondale switched to the other looks:

I hope to get back into shape and let this old bike give the newer ones a good run for their money. :)

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flip18436572 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 pm

It usually is not the bike but the engine. Good luck with the old bikes.
flip18436572
Teardrop Master

Postby SIXTOTWO » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:41 pm

Can anyone tell me about my Schwinn bike I just accuired?

Here's a photo or two...

Just picked it up...I liked the color! It's so me!!

I already know that it's a 3 Speed "Breeze" but don't know anything else about it. Year, what it's worth, should I mess with it to "fix it up" or just leave it?? etc...
I plan on using it to ride whenever I want, don't want to put it in a show room or anything.

Terry and Sue Landis
BUILD THREAD
Image Image
******Embarassing our kids, just another quality service that we offer!******
SIXTOTWO
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:18 pm

It is worth more the way it is. Here is a good web site for info on old bicycles.
Serial numbers are usually on the bottom stamped on the crank bearing housings.
http://oldroads.com/sh_sn.asp
emiller
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:54 pm

SIXTOTWO wrote:Image

We had one that was covered in surface rust all the chrome was pitted and rusted but everything worked. My cousin used to ride it to the bus stop (about 15yrs ago)and leave it on the fence. One day someone stole it and we could not figure out why.

A few years later, we found out how much they were worth, even in the condition this one was in. Well, not worth a whole lot (like a Stingray), but worth something.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby COCamper » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Now that is a good looking Schwinn!
COCamper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:30 pm

D.J. wrote:
cuyeda wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:But Cliff, is retro Chinese cool? 8)

And yes, if I stumbled on a pre-war vintage bike, with all the original parts, had at least some paint left on it, and the price was under $500 (yeah right), I would buy it.

er, um how long would it take find something cool. So yes, in my eye retro chinese with a valid Schwinn logo that I could buy tomorrow is cool. :

The same day that I decided to look for an old bike , I went to an area that is known for good garage sales and went down the first street . At the second sale there was nothing in the garage but I could see handlebars through the window . I asked the owner if he had any bicycles and he directed me to the back yard . Out of the corner of my eye I saw this bike leaning against the house but I was being led in the other direction . I looked at the bikes and I said that I was a big guy and was looking for something stronger . The seller said that their grandfathers bike was for sale . I was now going in the right direction . The bike was in fantastic shape . I was told the family history and that they just oiled everything up and that it worked great . So I asked "How Much" , fully expecting $350 or $400 . The fellow said I'll have to go and ask the wife . a long time passed and he came back and said that he would have to get at least $30 for it . I tried not to smile and handed him the money . .... D.J.

Where's the pic?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby D.J. » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
D.J. wrote:
cuyeda wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:But Cliff, is retro Chinese cool? 8)

And yes, if I stumbled on a pre-war vintage bike, with all the original parts, had at least some paint left on it, and the price was under $500 (yeah right), I would buy it.

er, um how long would it take find something cool. So yes, in my eye retro chinese with a valid Schwinn logo that I could buy tomorrow is cool. :

The same day that I decided to look for an old bike , I went to an area that is known for good garage sales and went down the first street . At the second sale there was nothing in the garage but I could see handlebars through the window . I asked the owner if he had any bicycles and he directed me to the back yard . Out of the corner of my eye I saw this bike leaning against the house but I was being led in the other direction . I looked at the bikes and I said that I was a big guy and was looking for something stronger . The seller said that their grandfathers bike was for sale . I was now going in the right direction . The bike was in fantastic shape . I was told the family history and that they just oiled everything up and that it worked great . So I asked "How Much" , fully expecting $350 or $400 . The fellow said I'll have to go and ask the wife . a long time passed and he came back and said that he would have to get at least $30 for it . I tried not to smile and handed him the money . .... D.J.

Where's the pic?

D.J.
Teardrop Master

My newest purchase.

Postby dobyman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:24 pm

I picked this up last week. Its a 1969 Peugeot UO-8. I bought it from the orignal owner. Always kept indoors, still has the original Ventolux air pump with hose. There is one tiny nick in the paint on the rear frame, and thats it. MINT! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Re: My newest purchase.

Postby Starwatcher » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:12 pm

dobyman wrote:I picked this up last week. Its a 1969 Peugeot UO-8. I bought it from the orignal owner. Always kept indoors, still has the original Ventolux air pump with hose. There is one tiny nick in the paint on the rear frame, and thats it. MINT! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Dobyman.

You must check this link http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html i think the stem on your bike is unsafe.

I work ten years in a bike shop and i think i saw one time a stem like that broken.

Also the seat clip is reversed, the seat is too foward to be confortable.

Regards.
Starwatcher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Starwatcher » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I saw at a flea market few years ago a very old bike, something like a Safety bike from 1890.(i went to a museum the month before and they had a identical) Painted yellow and with the back wheel in bad shape. But ironically i was trying to make space in the garage to build a teardrop. The teardrop is still at the same level of incompleting. :oops:
Starwatcher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dobyman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks Starwatcher, Ill look into both of those things. I really havent done anything to it, including barely riding it. Too busy. But I will in the next week or so. I really dont ride too hard or fast so I feel pretty safe on the stem......until I find a replacement. Now the seat, different story. That will be corrected ASAP. Im looking for a different seat anyway. I want one of the old hard leather ones like it came with. Anyone out there have one they will part with???
THANKS,
Steve :thumbsup:
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles