Skylark Motor on Bike

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Skylark Motor on Bike

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:32 pm

Here is my assist motor on my bike. It still isn't working as I need to find out the ratio of 25:1 oil. What does this mean?

Instructions read: The ratio is 16-18 parts gasoline to 1 part oil. After the break-in period, the ration can be increased to 25 parts gasoline to 1 part oil
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Where did you get your kit? :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: Skylark Motor on Bike

Postby Mauleskinner » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 pm

southpennrailroad wrote:Image

Here is my assist motor on my bike. It still isn't working as I need to find out the ratio of 25:1 oil. What does this mean?

Instructions read: The ratio is 16-18 parts gasoline to 1 part oil. After the break-in period, the ration can be increased to 25 parts gasoline to 1 part oil

Very cool!

I assume this is a two-stroke engine, which is usually lubricated by oil mixed with the fuel, rather than using a separate oil reservoir.

The ratios mean that when you mix the oil with the gas, you use 16-18 parts (ounces, cups, quarts, whatever) of gas and mix in one part (the same--ounce, cup, quarts, whatever) of oil. A gallon is 128 ounces, so for every gallon of gas, you'd use 7-8 ounces of oil, or about a cupful during the break-in period.

Once your engine is broken in, you can decrease the oil to about 5 ounces per gallon of gas, or about 2/3 cup.

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Skypuppet.com/gasbike.net in Calf. 140.00 shipped.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Mauleskinner wrote:

Very cool!

I assume this is a two-stroke engine, which is usually lubricated by oil mixed with the fuel, rather than using a separate oil reservoir.

The ratios mean that when you mix the oil with the gas, you use 16-18 parts (ounces, cups, quarts, whatever) of gas and mix in one part (the same--ounce, cup, quarts, whatever) of oil. A gallon is 128 ounces, so for every gallon of gas, you'd use 7-8 ounces of oil, or about a cupful during the break-in period.

Once your engine is broken in, you can decrease the oil to about 5 ounces per gallon of gas, or about 2/3 cup.

David

Thanks for the help. I will be doing this this weekend. Hopefully. I am in no hurry right now as I don't want to ruin anything. It was suppose to take 3 hours but I have been working on it for a month so far.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:27 pm

You should be able to go some place where they sell mower and lawn equipment and find tiny little bottles of oil that are just the right amount to use with a gallon of gasoline. Read the label carefully though.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:31 pm

southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:32 pm

toypusher wrote:You should be able to go some place where they sell mower and lawn equipment and find tiny little bottles of oil that are just the right amount to use with a gallon of gasoline. Read the label carefully though.

Yeah I use those on the gen. I thought that was what I would need. Thanks
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby D.J. » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:44 pm

I have always used synthetic two stroke oil in my bike . I switched to synthetic oil in all of my two stroke machines from the weed wacker to the 400cc Yamaha dirt bike . The difference was noticeable in all machines . It is well worth the extra money .

You stated that your bike is still not running . Are you having technical difficulties ? ..... D.J.
D.J.
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:03 pm

this video is more convincing! ;) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TclGbFPjBWI&NR=1

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby grizz » Wed May 12, 2010 4:23 pm

mikeschn wrote:this video is more convincing! ;) :D

Mike...

Yep, just watched it, looks like "WANT " !!!
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:43 pm

mikeschn wrote:this video is more convincing! ;) :D

Mike...

Good video! I like the fool who commented: Why not just pedal the bike... talk about missing the whole point! Why not just row the boat! ! ! I'll take my trolling motor anytime thank ya very much! This is just my speed!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby john warren » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:36 am

as said its a ratio,,, you need a really big bucket, then 25 gallons of gas, and 1 gallon of 2 cycle oil. :thumbsup:
john warren
Teardrop Master

Postby Gary and Cheri » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 am

The above link is not direct.

http://www.gasbike.net/

This link should take you straight to the motors.

In Wisconsin adding a motor to a bicycle would make the mountain bike a motorcycle and would then require the appropriate plate and insurance before use on a road. The operator would also have to a motorcycle operators designation on his/her driver liscence.

The four stroke intrigues me. I like quieter things.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Noob » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHIqG4dH ... re=related

Class-y ...

... also bike, with only one brake.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Bicycles