Skylark Motor on Bike

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Un fortunately when I left my girlfriends home I left it behind as it was not working properly and it was extra baggage for what was in my future.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby KevinR » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:19 am

Gary,

Wisconsin has some of the most liberal laws in the country for these bikes. It is considered a motor-assisted bicycle. Same laws apply as for a non-motorized bike.

You have to be under 49cc, less than 30mph, and keep the pedals usable. Probably should stay off the bike trails.

edit: OOPS, I was wrong, you'll need a driver's license in Wis, not a MC endorsement but a regular license. Bike doesn't need to be plated or insured tho.

My bikes...

KevinR
Teardrop Builder

Postby squatch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:11 am

Here is all you ever wanted to know about motorbicycling.
http://motorbicycling.com/
The China motors are pretty crude by todays standards. That's why you need a 16:1 mix for braek in. They haven't used that ratio in much of anything in the US since the '70's most premixes are 40:1 =poulan or 50:1 which is most all outboards, chainsaws ect. This motor wants 25:1 normal.

The easy way is to go to a marine store. they sell premix bottles. They are marked all over. Just turn the bottle to the mix ratio you want. Fill up to he line for that mix and the # of gallons you plan to mix. Then pour it in the gas can and add fuel. All auto parts stores and wm ect sell 2 stroke oil.

I've thought about doing this to a bike for a couple of years. 2 probs. I don't want to add it to any of my existing high end bikes. About 1/2 mile of my commute is just a crazy dangerous mismash of merging. I've bike commuted for years but this stretch of idiots keeps me from commuting to my work location on a regular bike. These 50cc engines aren't really much faster than pedalling. So no advantage in traffic.
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Bicycles