These are my rides jumping in with both feet

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby Kursac » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:17 am

My riding is primarily commuting and some touring, I gifted away my mountain bike but would love a Pugsly. Maybe the next bicycle. I just bought the road bike so the wife might get annoyed if I tell her I want another one
I have thoughts
Charlie
User avatar
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 am
Location: East Bridgewater Massachusetts

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:36 am

Fenlason wrote:
Oh.. and I did not find you that hard to find.. :thumbsup:

I was going to say you were easy.. but ..... :roll:


Yeah, I was duped with "high" expectations. :lol:

I just assumed something incredible had just been accomplished and looked for where that would be in the pic.

Ooops. :lol: Just a matter of seconds, but still . . .

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Image
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
User avatar
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1906
Images: 187
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:25 am
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona

Postby MegC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:17 pm

it WAS incredible to fall into that snow bank since my head felt like it was going to explode, lol. I actually scooped up a bunch into my helmet and crammed it back on my head to keep going.

I'm really not that good, or fast, no awesome hucking for this old mom/wife... my yen is long back country rides. If it's gnarly I'll walk it, partly because pain sucks and partly because I'm often in pretty deep and know how long it will take to get myself out or have someone come fetch me.
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
User avatar
MegC
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 91
Images: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Central Wa
Top

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Kursac wrote:My riding is primarily commuting and some touring, I gifted away my mountain bike but would love a Pugsly. Maybe the next bicycle. I just bought the road bike so the wife might get annoyed if I tell her I want another one


It can help to get your wife into cycling also.... but then I had to buy two Pugsleys.. :D :roll:

It is great sharing it with her though... so that when I am riding she is not home "waiting". Actually most of our riding in on tandems [we currently own 3]
We have only had the pugs a few weeks.. but I can't recommend them highly enough.. One common word when used in talking about them.. FUN!!!
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75703
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:46 pm

MegC wrote:it WAS incredible to fall into that snow bank since my head felt like it was going to explode, lol. I actually scooped up a bunch into my helmet and crammed it back on my head to keep going.

I'm really not that good, or fast, no awesome hucking for this old mom/wife... my yen is long back country rides. If it's gnarly I'll walk it, partly because pain sucks and partly because I'm often in pretty deep and know how long it will take to get myself out or have someone come fetch me.


50 Mile back country rides.. sound pretty awesome to me.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75703
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:
Fenlason wrote:
Oh.. and I did not find you that hard to find.. :thumbsup:

I was going to say you were easy.. but ..... :roll:


Yeah, I was duped with "high" expectations. :lol:

I just assumed something incredible had just been accomplished and looked for where that would be in the pic.

Ooops. :lol: Just a matter of seconds, but still . . .

Scott


I must admit my eyes.. did quickly scan "that way" first... :whistle:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75703
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby MegC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Hahaha... there's actually an elevation limit for how high on the mountain bikes can go, and this route ends up at the edge of it I believe.

50 miles in a day in our terrain would be a BIG bite even for the strongest riders I've met (includes some Leadville/24 hour racing types). I've got a ~35 mile route I'd like to pull off this summer, but better riders than I who are also familiar with the area looked scared when I showed them my evil concoction... definitely something to attempt close to the solstice. :) I did a couple ~18 milers this summer that took around 6 hours to complete, one with a couple hardened, experienced guys who looked pretty thrashed by the end.
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
User avatar
MegC
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 91
Images: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Central Wa
Top

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:06 pm

MegC wrote:Hahaha... there's actually an elevation limit for how high on the mountain bikes can go, and this route ends up at the edge of it I believe.

50 miles in a day in our terrain would be a BIG bite even for the strongest riders I've met (includes some Leadville/24 hour racing types). I've got a ~35 mile route I'd like to pull off this summer, but better riders than I who are also familiar with the area looked scared when I showed them my evil concoction... definitely something to attempt close to the solstice. :) I did a couple ~18 milers this summer that took around 6 hours to complete, one with a couple hardened, experienced guys who looked pretty thrashed by the end.


Just having a little family fun Meg, you sure as heck don't have to justify yourself with your fellow cyclists here. You rock big time and are out there riding well. I'm a roadie and don't mountain bike at all, so if I ended up in that snow bank like you, it wouldn't be because I wanted to cool down, it would probably be because I crashed there. :lol:

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Image
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
User avatar
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1906
Images: 187
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:25 am
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Top

Postby MegC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Trust me, I have a solid reputation for making everyone that rides with me feel better about themselves since they're no longer last. And if I'm gonna suck, I may as well have fun with it... Like accidentally appearing in someone's pano shot of the volcano face down in a snow bank. :lol:

But I'm more concerned that folks understand that while rippin' 50 miles of single track/day is perfectly reasonable in other places, it's not usually in the WA Cascades simply because the terrain is punishing. It's glorious riding to be sure (when you're not pushing with the handlebars over your head, lol), but it requires a certain mind set and I hate seeing people get disappointed because they came out here expecting X and it delivered Y.

Some of us once encountered 3 guys riding dirt bikes from the Cashmere/Wenatchee area through Devil's Gulch/Tronson/Blewitt pass, then over hwy 97 to Miller Pk, down into the Teanaway drainage, then working back up over Cle Elum ridge (can't remember by which route) to a place near Lake Cle Elum where friends were going to pick them up. The whole trip was going to be just under 100 miles, and a route a bunch of us had often drooled over as 'The Ultimate Mountain Bike Adventure', so we were eager to get recon. These dudes were about halfway in, VERY experienced, fit... and the time it had taken them and the fatigue those miles had already exacted WITH MOTORS was sobering.

Not so sure any of us are drooling about that one any more. :o
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
User avatar
MegC
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 91
Images: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Central Wa
Top

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:11 am

Oasis Maker wrote:
MegC wrote:Hahaha... there's actually an elevation limit for how high on the mountain bikes can go, and this route ends up at the edge of it I believe.

50 miles in a day in our terrain would be a BIG bite even for the strongest riders I've met (includes some Leadville/24 hour racing types). I've got a ~35 mile route I'd like to pull off this summer, but better riders than I who are also familiar with the area looked scared when I showed them my evil concoction... definitely something to attempt close to the solstice. :) I did a couple ~18 milers this summer that took around 6 hours to complete, one with a couple hardened, experienced guys who looked pretty thrashed by the end.


Just having a little family fun Meg, you sure as heck don't have to justify yourself with your fellow cyclists here. You rock big time and are out there riding well. I'm a roadie and don't mountain bike at all, so if I ended up in that snow bank like you, it wouldn't be because I wanted to cool down, it would probably be because I crashed there. :lol:

Scott


:lol: :lol:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75703
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:19 am

Meg.. I must have misunderstood something you wrote eariler. I was very humbled thinking you were doing 50 miles rides in terrain like your photo.

I am with Scott.. you still rock.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: you are out there doing it.


Scott we need to get you on a mountain bike.. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75703
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby MegC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Fenlason wrote:...Scott we need to get you on a mountain bike.. :D

First one's free! *evil cackle*
:twisted:
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
User avatar
MegC
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 91
Images: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Central Wa
Top

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:26 am

MegC wrote:
Fenlason wrote:...Scott we need to get you on a mountain bike.. :D

First one's free! *evil cackle*
:twisted:


It looks like he is REALLY not interested.. :thinking: :roll:


I am bummed.. my coach.. says I need have a really light week... :(

I really over did it a week ago... right now I can't even get out of my own way... :cry: :cry:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75703
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Previous

Return to Bicycles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest