3rd annual Ice Racing Championships

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

3rd annual Ice Racing Championships

Postby Fenlason » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:20 pm

We had our 3rd annual Championship Ice Race Saturday. :D

We only had 11 racers. :(

We have been trying to grow it, and some people say they are interested, but don't follow through. Some seem to be scared of it.

Laurie [my wife] got her cousin to try it, as well as another lady. It was their first time on the ice... they got to try it out earlier before the race.. and we had bikes for them to borrow.. but they each raced. :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:47 pm

My wife won her race. I got cut off in a qualifying race and hit the ground, but made up for my second place last year, with another win.. My co-worker kicked butt in his race. :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Fenlason wrote:My wife won her race. I got cut off in a qualifying race and hit the ground, but made up for my second place last year, with another win.. My co-worker kicked butt in his race. :thumbsup:

Sounds, cool ... :lol: ... any vid's ?

Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:13 am

Noob wrote:
Fenlason wrote:My wife won her race. I got cut off in a qualifying race and hit the ground, but made up for my second place last year, with another win.. My co-worker kicked butt in his race. :thumbsup:

Sounds, cool ... :lol: ... any vid's ?

It is a blast. A friend runs the pro shop at a local Hockey rink.
I am not sure if they took any video's this year :thinking:

I know there are some from previous years.. I will go look for them.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:41 am

it appears some of them have been blocked.

this is one of some us riding.. sort of a practice day..and other's just trying the ice out for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9NzzhXQFg
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 am

Hoe does this work ... is it a club ? you pay a weekend membership and an event fee, sign DandD form and anyone can particapate ? ... arethere diferent classes ?( age, tires, etc ...)

Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:19 am

Noob wrote:Hoe does this work ... is it a club ? you pay a weekend membership and an event fee, sign DandD form and anyone can particapate ? ... arethere diferent classes ?( age, tires, etc ...)

We used to do it years ago on a friend's farm pond. [it was about half the size of the rink] Every Monday night we rode.. it was quite informal.. and was made up of a group of people that rode together.. but anyone was welcome.

3 years ago Dave, someone new to cycling [who also owns the Pro shop at the rink] came into the shop for a visit. I being a smart a$$ asked when we could get ice time. Around here rink time is pretty booked up... and expensive.

He answered how about Sat. at such and such a time... :o

The next thing you knew.. we had ice time.. and a championship race scheduled.

We generally don't get much notice on ice time. and it was usually at odd times.. 6:00 am.. or late at night.. some time that it did not happen to be sold.

Our final race is the last day they have ice in the rink.

We do not break classes down to age. If we had a lot more people perhaps. As it is the older people are the one's kicking butt. For the most part it is older people doing it.

This year we were going to have 2 classes.. One for more experienced... [faster racers] and another for slower. We adjust it that day, as needed. My wife ended up with other women wanting to race, so we had a seperate race for them. [in the past she has had to race against the men.]

Tires you can use what ever you want... there are no seperate classes based on tires. Again if we had more people perhaps we would.

We have had people think they could come and do this with tires like the Nokians.... but they would not stand a chance.

With our own studs we are gripping better than tires on clean pavement.

In studding them there is a fine balance between grip and rolling resistance.

We have contacted other shops.. other clubs.. trying to get some interest... but so far no one has followed through.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Return to Bicycles