Another new Pugsley

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Another new Pugsley

Postby Fenlason » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:41 pm

We had a wonderful winter riding our Pugsleys. When spring came, we kept riding them. Come summer and our regular group rides.. that first ride, we were not sure which bikes to bring. We were loving the Pugs, but could we keep up? After our first group ride.. we were still madly in love!!

We have been riding them all summer and loving them. There are things about them that are an avantage, but other aspects that do make them a challenge. For one even though the tires have a bit of cushion, it does not replace "regular" suspension. I am enjoying the challenge aspect of riding these.

I then started replacing / upgrading some parts. The bike originally was set up to sit fairly upright, while I prefer to stretch out some. So I took the bars and stem off an unused bike, to improve the fit. Then I started trashing freehubs [We ride very very steep hills, and the stock freehub was not working for me] [yet they work fine for my wife] There were no stronger freehubs that fit the hub, which meant getting new hubs. I decided to get whole new wheels, wanting a little lighter rim also.

After a little while upgrading, I realized I was not that far from replacing most of the parts, so in my last parts order, I also ordered another frame. This allowed me to put all the parts I had taken off, on a frame also. So now I have 2 bikes.

I am not sure yet if I will keep it as a spare/ and to let friends borrow to ride with us, or if I will sell it to recoup some of my up grade costs.

:thinking:

Photo's coming.. it is time now to head for another group ride... :D :D :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm

where the frame is identical.. at first glance it does not look any different than my original but believe me it is... :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:51 pm

glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Last edited by Fenlason on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:52 pm

glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Awesome looking bike Glenn!

:thumbsup:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:33 pm

mikeschn wrote:Awesome looking bike Glenn!

:thumbsup:

Thanks.. it is sort of a sleeper.. it looks so much like my other, that unless you are a real bike person.. you don't really notice.. especially those that have been riding all along with me.

It does have some some pretty sweet parts on it... and it is a blast to ride.

oh.. the seperate wheel photograph is off my wife's bike. They are a lighter single wall "snow only" rim. She is light enough it should work fine for her as an everyday wheel..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby kirkman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Glenn....Very Coooool bike! 8) :thumbsup:
I wish I had one but I already have to many bikes and other toys. :lol:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Noob » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:57 am

Doesnt sound that bad ... I'm in a similar boat, I have a cx bike ( i know its no pugsly. ) that slowly turned into an urban commuter/century/charity ride/social cruiser.
So, ratherthan taking off the fenders, lights, bottle cages, skinny road tires and swaping cassetts, for cx races... I'll just buy another cx frame or a touring frame, and build 2 bikes like I should have in the begining.

I keep telling people, its not too many bikes if each has a specific purpose.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Return to Bicycles