Rollin' a fattie!

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby SteveF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 am

S'funny--in a way fixed gear and fat tire riding have some similarities. I like the way that fixed gears give some momentum back to you--I tell folks that when you get tired of pedaling a fixie, it pedals you. When I first set up a fixed gear I geared it low because I was scared of climbing but it turned out that climbing on one is the easy part--spinning 140+rpm on the way down is hard! I geared up nearer to 70" and that works pretty well for me. Fat bikes have so much rolling mo from the weight of the wheels and tires that, if you can stay on top of the gear, they have a similar momentum-returning feel...climbing aggressively with an attacking style works well if you can manage it. Fortunately, with the super low gear and oodles of traction, you can also just tractor up hills when you run out of gas... 8)
SteveF
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 am
Location: Central Michigan

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 am

SteveF wrote:S'funny--in a way fixed gear and fat tire riding have some similarities. I like the way that fixed gears give some momentum back to you--I tell folks that when you get tired of pedaling a fixie, it pedals you. When I first set up a fixed gear I geared it low because I was scared of climbing but it turned out that climbing on one is the easy part--spinning 140+rpm on the way down is hard! I geared up nearer to 70" and that works pretty well for me. Fat bikes have so much rolling mo from the weight of the wheels and tires that, if you can stay on top of the gear, they have a similar momentum-returning feel...climbing aggressively with an attacking style works well if you can manage it. Fortunately, with the super low gear and oodles of traction, you can also just tractor up hills when you run out of gas... 8)


I have ridden fixie on road for quite some time. and love it as a training tool. I have had someone just recently talk me into trying it off road. We have no one in the area doing it, and I at first thought the idea was nuts.[we do have quite technical trails]. but I got really intrigued with the idea.. thanks to the computor and video.. I learned there are places where people actually do it.. :D :thumbsup:

I had thought of getting a Karate Monkey to try it out on... but as I said I have this spare Pugs.. and I am used to the fat tires... and the Pugs has a higher bb than the KM.. and as you say.. the increase in momentum will be perfect.. sooooo. enough said.

I can't wait for summer to really try it out. :twisted: :twisted: :wakka wakka: :wakka wakka:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75684
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Image

from todays awesome ride.. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75684
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby SteveF » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:18 am

Cool, keep us posted on your fixed fattie. Thats some crazy chit in a good way...

Nice pic! We just havent had much snow this year or rather what we have gotten has quickly melted away. I did 50 miles on dry pavement on saturday and 12 miles on frozen, snowless trail sunday...
SteveF
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 am
Location: Central Michigan
Top

Postby Fenlason » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:54 am

The real fun.. and use of the Fatty Fixie won't be until summer.. but I will be sure to update it's use. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75684
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Re: Rollin' a fattie!

Postby Noob » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:11 pm

Image

:shock:

:D

:thumbsup:
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
User avatar
Noob
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:10 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio.
Top

Re: Rollin' a fattie!

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 am

Noob wrote:Image

:shock:

:D

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yes I had followed that one on-line as it was being built.. :D It's a sweet machine.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75684
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Re: Rollin' a fattie!

Postby Noob » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:38 am

Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:Image

:shock:

:D

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yes I had followed that one on-line as it was being built.. :D It's a sweet machine.



Please link stuff like, that in the future ... :thumbsup:
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
User avatar
Noob
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:10 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio.
Top

Re: Rollin' a fattie!

Postby Fenlason » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 pm

Noob wrote:
Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:Image

:shock:

:D

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yes I had followed that one on-line as it was being built.. :D It's a sweet machine.



Please link stuff like, that in the future ... :thumbsup:


sure thing.. :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75684
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Previous

Return to Bicycles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests