Rollin' a fattie!

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby SteveF » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:13 am

I did a group ride over the Thanksgiving weekend and there were 3 fatbikes there including mine! I think they're catching on...

You can see two of them in this pic-my blue Mukluk in the center and the white Pugsley on the left...

SteveF
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:43 pm

we sold 3 this week alone at the shop :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:00 am

Pretty good news article on fat bikes in Alaska. They are gaining quite a following here.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Fenlason » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Pretty good news article on fat bikes in Alaska. They are gaining quite a following here.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby SteveF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Got a little ride in with a couple of buddies on monday, 1/2/12. Not much snow but fattie fun was had nonetheless! Crummy cellphone pic:

SteveF
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 pm

:thumbsup:

I look at the photo.. and I feel jealous.. Yet we rode yesterday... :lol:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:09 am

The paint and graphics/decals an the blue Salsa wins hands down ... if anyone wants to upgrade to a moonlander let me know... :D
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby SteveF » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 am

Heh, probably hang onto this one for the time being. Rode it last sunday in practically perfect fat bike conditions--packed, grippy snow, temps in the mid-20's and fresh snow falling, coating the branches and us--beautiful ride!

It was a group ride and there were two fatbikes there, counting mine. Mine isn't in this pic but the guy that is has a titanium Fatback! He had a video camera on his helmet and I'll post the vid once he sends it to me. We saw a herd of deer that numbered 30+ easily!

Pretty cool...one guy that showed up works in my building and we didn't recognize each other until after the ride! He's pretty new--I didnt know he was a pedaler. He said, "man, you sure aren't slow on that bike!"

SteveF
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Noob wrote:The paint and graphics/decals an the blue Salsa wins hands down ... if anyone wants to upgrade to a moonlander let me know... :D

I personally prefer the looks of the Pugs.. :shrug:

Although the Black Ops version is real nice also.. I see it and want it [even though my particular build is better]

hmm I might add a Moonlander next year... although I do a downhill bike and maybe a faster cross country bike on the list.. ahead of it.. :thinking:

I do already have a "spare" Pugs. I had some people express interest locally.. but no one followed through.. so I turned it into a fixie.. :shrug:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm

SteveF wrote:Heh, probably hang onto this one for the time being. Rode it last sunday in practically perfect fat bike conditions--packed, grippy snow, temps in the mid-20's and fresh snow falling, coating the branches and us--beautiful ride!

It was a group ride and there were two fatbikes there, counting mine. Mine isn't in this pic but the guy that is has a titanium Fatback! He had a video camera on his helmet and I'll post the vid once he sends it to me. We saw a herd of deer that numbered 30+ easily!

Pretty cool...one guy that showed up works in my building and we didn't recognize each other until after the ride! He's pretty new--I didnt know he was a pedaler. He said, "man, you sure aren't slow on that bike!"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:The paint and graphics/decals an the blue Salsa wins hands down ... if anyone wants to upgrade to a moonlander let me know... :D

Although the Black Ops version is real nice also.. I see it and want it [even though my particular build is better]

hmm I might add a Moonlander next year... although I do a downhill bike and maybe a faster cross country bike on the list.. ahead of it.. :thinking:

I do already have a "spare" Pugs. I had some people express interest locally.. but no one followed through.. so I turned it into a fixie.. :shrug:

Oooo ... more pics !

I only like the pug over the muk, cause of the dropouts ( and the 30$ cost difference. )

... I tried to price one ( the basic pug ) out, from QBP... it all ads up fast. (even @ ss or FG... obviously, FG would be cheaper with a/one disc kit in the front. ) I think, I was at 700, before the 100mm crank set ...

There is not much snow around here, let alone sand ... I'll try to make this happen if for nothing else then for our aweome swamp like trails. ... yeah, they dont drain well at all.

I seen some front end "fat bikes" on regular MTB's... anyone know whats up with those ?
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 am

Noob wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

Oooo ... more pics !

I only like the pug over the muk, cause of the dropouts ( and the 30$ cost difference. )

... I tried to price one ( the basic pug ) out, from QBP... it all ads up fast. (even @ ss or FG... obviously, FG would be cheaper with a/one disc kit in the front. ) I think, I was at 700, before the 100mm crank set ...

There is not much snow around here, let alone sand ... I'll try to make this happen if for nothing else then for our aweome swamp like trails. ... yeah, they dont drain well at all.

I seen some front end "fat bikes" on regular MTB's... anyone know whats up with those ?

Before we got our bikes [my wife has one also] I sort of wanted the Mukluk. Possibly because of the symmetrical rear wheel. I ended up being able to get the Pugs more easily than the Mukluk, so went that way. After some friends got Muks.. I found I prefered the looks of mine.. yet I am not sure.. if that was because I already owned it. :shrug: They are both nice bikes. The Pugs does fit me better, and I like the handling better.

The reason I have 2 [3 counting my wife's] I first purchased each of us one. I purchased them as complete stock bikes. A friend knowing me said I should build it from scratch. I was not sure how I would want it set up, and was not sure how much I would use it. I also know in the past, it sometimes took people a while to get a bike built. They would have the frame, but rims were temporarily unavailable.. that type of thing.

We got the bikes.. and loved them... and then the upgrades started. Come spring we were still riding them. We now use them as a year round mountain bike and love it. .. but of course I ended up doing more upgrades. Since I had all the original parts.. I thought it was stupid not to purchase another frame.. and put it back together. I had friends that wanted to buy it, but so far no one has followed through.

I have had people that got me interested in attempting riding an off road fixie.. and the "spare" pugs seems a natural for that. :shrug: :twisted:

My special build Pugs.

hmm the build.. a few of the parts are off another bike I stripped. Chris King headset, FSA Stem with their carbon bars. I went with the lighter xc rims [prior to the Marge Lites coming out] I have an xo drivetrain.... an E Thirteen crank.. better hydraulic brakes.. but I forget the model right now. Thompson seat post..time pedals.. DT skewers. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby SteveF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 am

That's a nicely equipped Pugs! Deluxe...

Speaking of fat front fixed, here's a vid of one from the UK with a 650b rear/fat front fixed...it was posted to MTBR so you may have already seen it.

(sorry, cant figure how to embed a vid here!)
SteveF
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:58 am

SteveF wrote:That's a nicely equipped Pugs! Deluxe...

Speaking of fat front fixed, here's a vid of one from the UK with a 650b rear/fat front fixed...it was posted to MTBR so you may have already seen it.

(sorry, cant figure how to embed a vid here!)

thanks..

yeah I just saw that video last night.. a fixie at that. :thumbsup: :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 am

I had intended to comment on the half fat idea also.

I am not sure we have many around here. I can't say that one of our customers has never done it. He is always switching stuff around... but I have never seen one in person.

In some cases it is an inexpensive attempt to ride fat. or a way to try fat.

A fat front tire gives you some cushion. It in no way replaces a fork.. where you "need" a fork.. but it is somewhat better. Than a skinny fully rigid. A Fat bike give you nice stability in rough terrain... and much of that would come through with just a fat front.

In places where you really need the float.. you are still of course lacking. I believe many that do it, end up going fully fat.

On dirt.. you get the the some stability and cushion. but you have a lighter rear tire that accelerates a little better. :shrug:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles