New / old bikes

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

New / old bikes

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:34 pm

I think Mike wanted photo's.

I got interested in building a scorcher.. but at least for now.. they are more of a road bike / fixie / with flat bars.

My primary purpose is to have a fixie for when the roads are worse than bad. Our other fixies are higher geared, and I sort of wanted a lower gear.. so when all I wanted was an easy ride.

This year with our weird weather.. winter trial riding is just starting to get good now.. so for fitness, we have been riding the roads.. and they are rather icy.

These bikes.. were something someone gave me a few years ago. They did not appear to be worth much of anything. I was thinking of maybe sticking one on the wall of my barn for decoration.. or hanging in a tree on one of my trails... but then I got back into fixies.. and the older school horizontal dropout make building them. that much easier to do.

The Frames are old Swiss race bikes.. Cilo Pacers.. they had Reynolds 531 steel frames, and interestingly enough.. they were of two sizes.. one perfect for me, the other was in my wife's size.. My guess is they are from the early 70's.
Part way through the build I was sort of wondering what the heck I was doing... but we have used them a lot and love them.

Image
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75659
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:36 pm

a shot of the tire.. tread and studs..

Image
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75659
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.

Postby kirkman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Cool bike's Glen!
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
User avatar
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1270
Images: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:42 am
Location: Elmira, NY
Top

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:19 pm

You got all the cool bikes. I can't keep up...

But I did pick up last year model Crux Expert. The one that looks like a Tricross! Full Carbon. :thumbsup:

It'll handle 45mm tires with lots of room to spare!

Mike...

P.S. Thanks for the pictures... they look really cool. Good job building them up too! Not a lot of studs on those. Innovas?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
User avatar
mikeschn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19128
Images: 468
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:01 am
Location: MI
Top

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Thanks guys...

Nice bike Mike... :thumbsup:

The tires are Kenda Klondike's

They have carbide tipped, polymer body studs.. I am not sure of the number.. in one place the specs say 100 per tire.. and another place 110 :thinking: :shrug:

I just wanted something to keep me alive on an icy road.. they work... :thumbsup:

These are the 35mm vs.. they are semi close to the brakes. at the top. I have had other 38's on.. that fit fine..

I have contemplated putting drop bars on them.. or something more like a scorcher bar.. but these work.. and I have other bikes to get yet... :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75659
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby asianflava » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:25 pm

I just don't understand the appeal of fixies, wouldn't it be a PITA going up and down hills? Don't be offended, I don't see the appeal of fly fishing either.
User avatar
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club
 
Posts: 8410
Images: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:11 am
Location: CO, Longmont
Top

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Did you say you had the Moonlander, with the almost 5" tires? http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander

Mike...

Can you imagine an 82mm-wide Rolling Darryl rim? :?

Image
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
User avatar
mikeschn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19128
Images: 468
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:01 am
Location: MI
Top

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 pm

asianflava wrote:I just don't understand the appeal of fixies, wouldn't it be a PITA going up and down hills? Don't be offended, I don't see the appeal of fly fishing either.


No offence taken at all.. I understand.
In some places they became hip.. annoyingly so.

Before their hipness.. we used them for training. I love them for this aspect. It teaches you to be smooth..in many ways it forces you to become a smoother more efficient rider. Most people when they stand to go up a hill, hesitate at the bottom of their stroke.. on a fixie.. you can't hesitate anywhere. Spinning quickly downhill you have to get smoother.. If you can still pedal and 180 rpm .. you are probably going to be quite smooth at 100.

It also gives you more of a workout in less time. You have to pedal every inch of your ride.. so for the time crunched.. or in real in-climate weather.. you can get a workout in, in less time.. or more of a workout in in the same time.

Also they are cheaper and easier to maintain while riding in the sloppy stuff.



Yet with that said most of the riders in my area that tried them.. either quickly sold them.. stopped riding them.. or converted them to a single speed freewheel set up. :shrug:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75659
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Fenlason wrote:Yet with that said most of the riders in my area that tried them.. either quickly sold them.. stopped riding them.. or converted them to a single speed freewheel set up. :shrug:


I never had one of those, but I can imagine I'd be one of the ones to convert to a freewheel setup! :roll:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
User avatar
mikeschn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19128
Images: 468
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:01 am
Location: MI
Top

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:43 pm

mikeschn wrote:Did you say you had the Moonlander, with the almost 5" tires? http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander

Mike...

Can you imagine an 82mm-wide Rolling Darryl rim? :?

Image


We have 3 Pugsleys. Laurie currently has a pair of rolling Darryls on her bike.
The Moonlander has 100mm wide clownshoe rims.. with a tire 1" wider than even the Pugs. I have not seen one on person.. but they say it dwarfs the Pugs... :o
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75659
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Fenlason wrote:The Moonlander has 100mm wide clownshoe rims.. with a tire 1" wider than even the Pugs. I have not seen one on person.. but they say it dwarfs the Pugs... :o


I can't even begin to imagine what those monsters look like... And I thought my snowcats were big. NOT!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
User avatar
mikeschn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19128
Images: 468
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:01 am
Location: MI
Top

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Fenlason wrote:Yet with that said most of the riders in my area that tried them.. either quickly sold them.. stopped riding them.. or converted them to a single speed freewheel set up. :shrug:


I never had one of those, but I can imagine I'd be one of the ones to convert to a freewheel setup! :roll:

Mike...


A friend bought one.. the first time he tried to coast over some rough railroad tracks.. it almost threw him over the handlebars... :o

that's all it took him... :o

It is much easier to ride them with step in pedals.. when I started we had cleats with toe clips and straps.. which had to be tightened and loosened.. while you were pedalling... :o that was a trick... :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75659
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:50 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Fenlason wrote:The Moonlander has 100mm wide clownshoe rims.. with a tire 1" wider than even the Pugs. I have not seen one on person.. but they say it dwarfs the Pugs... :o


I can't even begin to imagine what those monsters look like... And I thought my snowcats were big. NOT!!!

Mike...


just the regular sized Larry.. on the Darryl vs the Lager Marge is noticeably larger. I have a friend with a Salsa Mukluk.. the 4" tire with a 100mm graceful fat sheeba rim.. which is bigger yet.. and the moonlander is another huge step above that.

They say because the rims themselves are so much lighter than the stock Pugs rims. [LM downhills] that it actually rolls better.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75659
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Fixies all around feel so much different.. they talk about how you feel more connected to the bike and road which sounds kind of hokey.. but I would have to agree.

It also frees up a certain aspect of your thinking.. there is no thought about shifting.. what gear should I be using now?.. or that hill that is coming up.. you just pedal....period

Of course at times you do have to wonder... "can I get up THAT hill" :thinking: :o
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey
 
Posts: 75659
Images: 221
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: Winslow Me.
Top

Postby MegC » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Fixies:
My eyes and heart love the elegance and simplicity.
My knees say NO FREAKIN WAY.
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
User avatar
MegC
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 91
Images: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Central Wa
Top

Next

Return to Bicycles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest