Home Mountain bike trail system

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Re: Home Mountain bike trail system

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm

rowerwet wrote:no moose or bear names?

I definitely will have something for a moose trail.. Moose stuff is a running joke on me... and I think bear could be ok also. I have started working on favorite or main trails first.

Turkey and Deer in some way.. Those are both plentiful here and use our trails a lot.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm

With most of our snow gone.. we did go out Sunday morning for a little trail work.

and I do have a couple more signs. :D

glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:52 pm

I chose to use a spray ink to color the lettering of the signs. It is permanent, dries quickly but does not bleed badly into the wood. You spray the signs, focusing on the letters. There is of course over spray, that you sand or plane off. I have since completed these steps on 63 signs [what I have made so far]. I have yet to put a clear finish over the otherwise completed signs I need to wait for warmer weather for that.

A photo of some of them after the ink.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:59 pm

glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:04 pm

It was a week or 2 ago that I did that. I was going to wait before doing more. I was worried about keeping everything straight. I did this morning lay all the signs out, and wrote all the names down. I have 26 names.. to specific trails. I was even able to remember them. :D I do have a few other names [signs] that I am not totally sure about. Re-looking at everything today, I do have some others I can name.. or others that are named and I don't have signs made yet. So I can do a little more work on that part. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby RandyG » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 am

This is amazing! Great job :thumbsup: This is one of my dreams, to have enough land and make some trails of my own. If you see something bright yellow wizzing through your land, DON'T SHOOT, it's only me. :R
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:49 am

RandyG wrote:This is amazing! Great job :thumbsup: This is one of my dreams, to have enough land and make some trails of my own. If you see something bright yellow wizzing through your land, DON'T SHOOT, it's only me. :R

Thanks.. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 am

Wow! great job on the trails. I would love riding my horse on those. :thumbsup: :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:41 pm

eaglesdare wrote:Wow! great job on the trails. I would love riding my horse on those. :thumbsup: :wine:

I don't think you would find many of these trails very horse friendly. Many of them are pretty twisty. Most are not cleared high enough up the tree for you to fit under, and a lot of them are pretty narrow. While not all this narrow, my new bike came with 660mm handlebars and there are sections they would not fit. My bars are now 600 mm. :D Some of these trails are also MUCH steeper than they look. I also don't think any of my bridges will hold the weight either. :thinking: They were made for foot or bike traffic only.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 pm

One of my new trail work tools..

I often carry my tools to near where I am working in my RTV.. but I do have to carry "stuff" in on the single track sections. I have some longer sections of single track now, and I find carrying a chain saw sort of a "pain" :roll: So I made a chain saw pack. :D
It carries my saw.. and tools.. fuel and oil.. for the saw and me. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:25 am

update on the logging next door. :(

Initially they were going to protect all the trails. My best single track section.. they were going to leave a buffer around it. The forester went out and marked exactly what trees to cut. I walk out.. and see "My" trail is heavily marked for cutting. :? At that point the forester lost all credibility with me. My neighbor Lee, said he would take care of it. Well...... none of that happened.

Originally they were going to start cutting way before they did. When they finally did start cutting they were unsure if they would finish this winter, and that they might have to come back late summer to finish up. This would have meant, for the most part, we would not use the property the whole season. Fortunately I can get around the property. Well a week ago they were leaving for the winter, and Lee told me, he told them, that they were done, that they were not to come back to cut any more. I don't know if he is unhappy with what they were doing or is he was concerned with my reaction to the destruction :thinking:

The upper 2/3rds of "My" trail is gone!! every once in a while there is a small section, but then it goes back to total destruction. I am kind of devastated at some of the destruction. It would have been bad enough if I was just told.. sorry there is going to be some logging.. and then I just deal with what every happene, but all the "we will take care of it"... leaves me a little bitter. They had me meet with the forester and we walked the trail and woods.. [all a total waste of my time] We were told there would be almost no debris left behind. [With all the biomass boilers in the area.. they haul it all out and chip it] There are huge mud holes and big ruts.. :x :x :cry:

I try to remain positive.. and try to focus on moving forward.. but then.. the negative comes back. A couple of our primary dual track sections, can be recovered with out too much work. Those will be my priority. From there I am not sure yet. I did just purchase a clamp on debris fork for my tractor. It was about $700. but should help with clean up. I am also looking at modifying a smaller tow behind york rake. The tow behind does not work well in the woods.. I wanted to modify it so I could use it on my 3pt. hitch. In that process I think I can mount it under the tractor bucket with if it works.. should work good. I do also have a small excavator with a thumb.. so hopefully with all this equipment I can get some trails out there again. We do have potential for some additional dual track.. so we will try to move forward with it all. :worship:

The interesting part.. most of those that ride here.. hated the section of my trail that is gone... :o it was a tough trail. So to try lighten things up a bit.. I tease that they paid Lee to take that trail out.. :D Or that I secretly wanted that trail taken out.. so that I will forever be the only one to have ace the whole trail.. :whistle:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Greg M » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Just keep repeating to yourself: it's a blank canvas, it's a blank canvas...
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Greg M wrote:Just keep repeating to yourself: it's a blank canvas, it's a blank canvas...

Thanks... :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:50 am

Fenlason wrote:
Greg M wrote:Just keep repeating to yourself: it's a blank canvas, it's a blank canvas...

Thanks... :D

It is nice knowing they are done logging.. so we can move forward from here. While I am not really at "peace" with it all yet, when I find myself thinking about it now, I find that I happen to be thinking about the possibilities... vs what was lost. I am sure for a while, when heading to that area.. the "mess" might bother me some again, but things are moving forward.

We have found often.. when I am planning work the "it will be nice to have trail here.. one there", it seems like it will take forever.. and it is amazing how quickly they sometimes can go.

It might be some time before we can get out there. We currently have snow.. and then have to go through mud season, but I "scheduling, and prioritizing our work... and I can't wait to get to it.. :twisted:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:53 am

We have not done much trail work yet. Although I did go out yesterday afternoon for a bit. I had an area nearby that had about 6 blown down pine. I wanted to get cleaned up, and try out by chainsaw back pack. I got the trees cleaned up and found a slight modification I had to do to the pack. The [covered] bar was too close to the back of my head. It otherwise seemed great. :D :thumbsup: Once home I did add a little spacer to where the bars is securely strapped to the pack. It feels much better now. :)

I have done other things to "prepare" for trail work. To make ourselves more efficient. I purchased a clamp on debris fork for the front of our tractor. I also have ordered a 3pt hitch attachment. It has a reese hitch pocket, and a chain hook on it. It will make pulling logs easier. I have a small York rake that is made to be pulled by a yard tractor. It does not work well in the woods this way. I am looking at modifying it, to fit the reese hitch sleeve on that new 3pt hitch... and would also love to try putting it on the front bucket.

I have also been working on the tool carrying capabilities of my RTV. I have been building a tool storage system for the back. I need it to be able to removed easily, so I can haul dirt etc.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles