What would Glenn do?

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

What would Glenn do?

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:05 pm

I have been trying to stay riding on a regular basis. Last night I got home and it was cooooold. I live in CA so I am a pansy when it comes to cold weather. I still had to go to the store for dinner stuff, cook dinner for the fam and try to ride. I stood there in my driveway thinking it was too cold to ride , --------- then it hit me. What would Glenn do ? Glenn would ride! There would be no question about it. So thats what I did . It only take a mile or two to get warmed up. My gloves are no good but it was a great ride. Thanks Glenn.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Re: What would Glenn do?

Postby Fenlason » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 pm

campmaster-k wrote:I have been trying to stay riding on a regular basis. Last night I got home and it was cooooold. I live in CA so I am a pansy when it comes to cold weather. I still had to go to the store for dinner stuff, cook dinner for the fam and try to ride. I stood there in my driveway thinking it was too cold to ride , --------- then it hit me. What would Glenn do ? Glenn would ride! There would be no question about it. So thats what I did . It only take a mile or two to get warmed up. My gloves are no good but it was a great ride. Thanks Glenn.

:lol: :thumbsup: Awesome.. Thanks..
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby lancew » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:52 pm

very common theory. "its to cold". when i was mtn biking in the winter. people told me i was crazy nuts. i asked why. they would say "its cold". i laugh at them its only cold for the first 4-5 minutes. all the work you do creates heat. finally i was able to actually interest them into mtn biking and we even went during the winter. those who called me crazy nuts were the same ones out there with me in dead of winter. we get done and say wow, had no idea we be sweating. good gloves sumtin to keep feet warm if you wear biking shoes is all you need.. oh yea sumtimes something over your face, like a bacalava <sp>. keep it up kamp, riding is awesome.
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lancew » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 pm

whoops...camp not kamp. sorry
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: W.W.G.D. ?

You could always get a stationary bike , K. And declare one night a week called fend for yourself dinner. A Bowl of hot cereal, or a can of soup/chili, or toasted cheese all easy to keep stocked in the pantry/larder. That would free up some time to ride as well.
Winter solstice tomorrow , so it will be dark early........have a great ride.
And Glenn, I have been loving looking at your pics on the bike trail thread. Nice property, ingenuity in the layout, and challenging for those who take the high road there.

Another true story of how one member of this forum was inspired by another's dedication and passion of pursuing doing what you love to do....and have fun doing it.

TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:43 am

For inspiration :lol: This was a group mountain bike ride here from the house. It was 25 or so miles, and it was 28 below when we got back. This was a few years ago.. and I am not sure if I would ride that cold again. :thinking: Although there is better clothing available now. [and perhaps we can better afford more of it than we could back then also] So if we got back to winters of great snow.. and these temps were more regular again, that might change. :D

In these temps.. one does not want to sweat.. it can be dangerous. As it was [with what we had for clothing] we occasionally got hyperthermic...ending up slurring our speech some.. and our mental clarity was not always the best. I once missed a turn heading back onto our property.. ended up coming up behind a house on a nearby side road. I was certain we were on our property.. I thought someone had built a camp on our property!!! :o How the heck did they do that without me finding out!! :thinking: Fortunately someone noticed where I went wrong, and we made it back. I was so confused.. I had to go out the next day and see where I went wrong.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:53 am

Cold is relative.. and one has to get used to it. Here as the seasons change.. there can be some painful transitions. What is cold in Oct. can feel like a heat wave in March.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:56 am

The Teardrop Nanny wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: W.W.G.D. ?

You could always get a stationary bike , K. And declare one night a week called fend for yourself dinner. A Bowl of hot cereal, or a can of soup/chili, or toasted cheese all easy to keep stocked in the pantry/larder. That would free up some time to ride as well.
Winter solstice tomorrow , so it will be dark early........have a great ride.
And Glenn, I have been loving looking at your pics on the bike trail thread. Nice property, ingenuity in the layout, and challenging for those who take the high road there.

Another true story of how one member of this forum was inspired by another's dedication and passion of pursuing doing what you love to do....and have fun doing it.

TDN :R

Thank you TDN.. yeah I think it is great how we inspire, educate, and suppport one another.. in so many things. :)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:02 am

Joanie I could never do a inside bike. I need the scenery going by or I just wont do it.

So last night I took off for my ride and half way, about 2.5 miles, it started raining. I just kept on crankin. I was a little wet but by the time I got back home the rain had stopped.

I have to ride at night in the winter. I ride in traffic and it is dangerous. I finally found the formula for safe riding in traffic. 4 lights. One super bright red led strobe in the back. One super bright led strobe in the front. One white led flashing headlight aimed to the right a little at the cross traffic. One halogen headlight aimed at the ground out front of the bike. Since I have had this setup I have only be almost killed once. 8)
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:06 am

I pulled into the driveway after my ride and Mary was taking out the garbage and came running around the corner. She yelled at me saying that she thought an ambulance had pulled into our driveway with all the lights flashing. :lol:
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:32 am

campmaster-k wrote:I pulled into the driveway after my ride and Mary was taking out the garbage and came running around the corner. She yelled at me saying that she thought an ambulance had pulled into our driveway with all the lights flashing. :lol:

:lol: :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 am

campmaster-k wrote:Joanie I could never do a inside bike. I need the scenery going by or I just wont do it.

So last night I took off for my ride and half way, about 2.5 miles, it started raining. I just kept on crankin. I was a little wet but by the time I got back home the rain had stopped.

I have to ride at night in the winter. I ride in traffic and it is dangerous. I finally found the formula for safe riding in traffic. 4 lights. One super bright red led strobe in the back. One super bright led strobe in the front. One white led flashing headlight aimed to the right a little at the cross traffic. One halogen headlight aimed at the ground out front of the bike. Since I have had this setup I have only be almost killed once. 8)

:lol: Awesome. :thumbsup: I was going to say a nice helmet mounted headlamp [in addition to the other lights] is a "must have". Out on an otherwise dark country road.. it does not take too much to be seen. In town with lots of lights around, it is still hard. The helmet light.. so you can aim it, helps a lot. If you have a car pull up to a stop sign on a side road. A momentary light aimed at them.. nothing intrusive.. but something that catches there eye.. is a real plus. :D

I have a lot of hours put on a trainer.. or some form of indoor bike... it can be mind numbing. Right now anyways.. I would rather be outside regardless of the weather. I just got back from a little spin in the woods just now.. snow .. that switched over to rain.. so therefor a cold rain. This time it was not a heavy rain.. and I was already warmed up.. so not so bad. We have done trail runs in freezing rain. We find all the variety of nasty weather.. preferable to indoor workouts. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:02 pm

biziedizie wrote:We have the ride to conquer cancer coming up in June, it's a two day ride and I really want to make this!

:thumbsup: A ride like that can be good motivation.. to "train" and to get some regular riding in. Good Luck. :thumbsup: :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:46 am

Wow! Sorry to hear. :worship:

So you have some important goals to work on.

The ride sounds good... and once you are past your cancer, you will have a lot of motivation to do it. If it is anything like our benefit rides here it will be a fun. powerful experience.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:09 pm

biziedizie wrote:What I'm doing is training on a mountain bike. It's tough with tubes hooked to me but I still do it, two hours a day :D
There's 3 guys here that are all decked out with the best of the best bikes that I talk to on my rides and they bike for miles!
I also rollerblade when it's not icy out.
I was told that I'm too old to be doing what I'm doing, I smiled at that :D

Nice.. please keep us updated of your progress.. both on the biking and your health.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Next

Return to Bicycles