Rec. my friend a hybrid, he's perf oriented with a child...

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Rec. my friend a hybrid, he's perf oriented with a child...

Postby Noob » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am

Ok, so... 30 something family guy, looking for a bicycle that can "do" gravel adventure rides, local charity rides, (around town AND a half centry), and be able to tow a kiddie trailer... because of that, hes looking at disc brake ones... and of course that helps it looks a little more serious/macho. All around $1000, under if possible...

... and he wants to do a triatlon in the future. No. just kidding. I know the type, he's close ...

So the must haves are : *fat* 700c tires, disc, poss NOT alu... under 1000.

Ready, set, go!

So far... he looked at, some : Jamis allegro X, Jamis coda elite, C-dale bad boys, Raliegh tripper, Surly disc trucker ...
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Re: Rec. my friend a hybrid, he's perf oriented with a child

Postby Fenlason » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:46 pm

a Cannondale Quick cx... hmm I don't have prices available at home.. spending a bit more opens up some choices.. also working with a dealer.. I was looking at inexpensive cycle cross bikes.. and Specialized had some close out stuff.. limited sizes etc.. but that stuff can change daily.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Noob » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Fenlason wrote:a Cannondale Quick cx... hmm I don't have prices available at home.. spending a bit more opens up some choices.. also working with a dealer.. I was looking at inexpensive cycle cross bikes.. and Specialized had some close out stuff.. limited sizes etc.. but that stuff can change daily.

Yeah, his picky ...
He's "leaning" towards the c-dale bad boy 9. I tried to get him to pony-up for at least the "5" (its the non-headshok lefty one & the lefty is only reason to get a c-dale. IMO.), but the 1,100 msrp scared/steered him to the "9" priced around 700$... either way, the Alu. frame will rattle him around a little, on those gravel rides...

So I suggested the :

The steel framed, cf forked jamis (badboy copy) coda l33t got shot down for skinny tires ... its def. a good price, and "plush" ride.

The "new" SS flatbar surly crosscheck, with 700cx42 tires, got the axe cause its an SS ...

The raleigh tripper, got shot down because of the IGH ...

He mentioned, that someone is steering him toward a Salsa fargo @ 1200$ ...

This one will be a challange.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Noob » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:04 am

Oh, oh... he found some Charge bikes at pbs ... one step forward, two steps back. Doh !
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Noob » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Well, he was going to buy a Fargo ( way above his budget ) but they are "sold out for the season" ... So he bought a cross check . :roll: :thinking: ( it's 200 more than his budget, has no disc brakes... )
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 am

Noob wrote:Well, he was going to buy a Fargo ( way above his budget ) but they are "sold out for the season" ... So he bought a cross check . :roll: :thinking: ( it's 200 more than his budget, has no disc brakes... )

:lol: At least some nice choices.. :D :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:Well, he was going to buy a Fargo ( way above his budget ) but they are "sold out for the season" ... So he bought a cross check . :roll: :thinking: ( it's 200 more than his budget, has no disc brakes... )

:lol: At least some nice choices.. :D :thumbsup:

He wanted me to find him something sporty ... so he, over paid and no disc ! ... it doesnt even have sti shifters, but atleast those can be upgraded later.

Hes gonna have to buy something cool to make up for it ... maybe some retro shifters,

or if he wants to keep the touring shifters I hope ge gets some moustache bars ...

Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:29 am

Yeah it's funny what some people end up with, in comparison to what they say they want. Actually I like the Cross Check and am thinking about one for my wife. She has a "sportier" road bike.. but this would be a winter bike.. something I could fit studded tires to. I would like one myself.. but have an older Cannondale that still works. I really like the bar end shifters also. On a bike that I want to be real competitive with on the road I prefer STI.. but otherwise I love bar ends.. they are a lot cheaper than STI.. and are more durable.
I have not seen the retro shift in person .. it does look interesting.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:20 am

Fenlason wrote:Yeah it's funny what some people end up with, in comparison to what they say they want. Actually I like the Cross Check and am thinking about one for my wife. She has a "sportier" road bike.. but this would be a winter bike.. something I could fit studded tires to. I would like one myself.. but have an older Cannondale that still works. I really like the bar end shifters also. On a bike that I want to be real competitive with on the road I prefer STI.. but otherwise I love bar ends.. they are a lot cheaper than STI.. and are more durable.

I hate bar end shifters on drop bars ... I thought we where done changing body position, just to shift.( with down tube shifters )
I have seen bar end shifter on all sorts of *creative* places... including flatbars and bull horns, and even "mini" aero bars made from mtb bar end grips, positioned in the center by the stem... the moustache bar seems to make the most sense to me. ( lots o hand positions, same body position. ) Its kinda performance oriented on a budget ... same goes for retroshift.

I love moustache bars : http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1575011348844.65086.1642383567&type=3#!/media/set/?set=a.1575011348844.65086.1642383567&type=3
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:48 am

Noob wrote:
Fenlason wrote:Yeah it's funny what some people end up with, in comparison to what they say they want. Actually I like the Cross Check and am thinking about one for my wife. She has a "sportier" road bike.. but this would be a winter bike.. something I could fit studded tires to. I would like one myself.. but have an older Cannondale that still works. I really like the bar end shifters also. On a bike that I want to be real competitive with on the road I prefer STI.. but otherwise I love bar ends.. they are a lot cheaper than STI.. and are more durable.

I hate bar end shifters on drop bars ... I thought we where done changing body position, just to shift.( with down tube shifters )
I have seen bar end shifter on all sorts of *creative* places... including flatbars and bull horns, and even "mini" aero bars made from mtb bar end grips, positioned in the center by the stem... the moustache bar seems to make the most sense to me. ( lots o hand positions, same body position. ) Its kinda performance oriented on a budget ... same goes for retroshift.

I love moustache bars : http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1575011348844.65086.1642383567&type=3#!/media/set/?set=a.1575011348844.65086.1642383567&type=3

Different strokes... :shrug: :lol: I started with bar ends back in the early 70's my first real race bike came with them. I have had numerous bikes with them. I have many many many miles on them.. so I am quite used to them. My body does not move to shift them.. I just gently drop and arm.. if you were riding behind me a little to the side.. you would not even see me do it. With that said.. on my current road bikes.. that I ride more aggressively with.. I do prefer STI.. It is faster.. I love being able to shift while standing.. for example.
For someone like your friend with a limited budget.. it does save money. The bike he bought might have cost a couple hundred more if it had STI.

In looking for a bike for my wife.. one of the reasons the cross check moved up the list.. is because it had bar end shifters.. In something that will be exposed to a lot of nasty weather and roads.. the bar ends are more durable.. and cheaper to replace if one does have problems. They are also much easier to shift with heavy gloves or mittens on. The STI shifters of today.. might be more durable.. I have had too much history with older ones that did not like dirt.. and I have replaced many on customers bikes.

The mustache bars.. I like the idea of.. but have never owned them.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:28 am

Update : After a couple of gravel rides, he now knows the cross check was a bad choice, now looking at replacments... poss a straggler or a vaya/fargo.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:12 am

:? :?

So much for his budget. :thinking: :roll:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:49 pm

Fenlason wrote::? :?

So much for his budget. :thinking: :roll:

Just in... posted on FB. Found the cross check replacment :

Cross check is for sale ...
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 am

:? :? :?
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21 am

Is there anything about this bike that is as he said he wanted to start with? Disc brakes…
That is a $2000.00 + bike.. and it is a full tilt mountain bike. It is a nice bike.. I like it.. and I apparently have a "thing" about orange. :)

I hope he likes it. :worship:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Next

Return to Bicycles