I'd never thought. I would like a hybrid ...

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

I'd never thought. I would like a hybrid ...

Postby Noob » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:16 am

... with an "triple" AND adj. stem !

This did get my attention. ( 2013 Jamis Coda l33t. ) :D

:thinking:

This is the "striped down, base model" :

Also while there, I over heard some ( 250# ) guy trying to buy a "light" road bike to ride with his frinds "long distances", " a couple of charity rides", " maybe even a century or 2", at "kinda fast speeds", and "some times they like to ride hills" ... and it needed to be "light" since he did his "reaserch" on the intervebs, he was convinced/ready to buy an "light" alu. bike with carbon fork and carbon seatpost with the *new* 105, the one with hidden cables and a "lightweight " compact double, all around 1,500$ ...
Poor sales guy tried to explan why a steel bike bike with carbon fork ( a full carbon bike, is the only thing that rides smooter ) and a triple, might be a better way to go... the sales guy even compromised and showed an alu. race bike ( Jamis Ventura Race ) with carbon fork AND carbon SEATSTAYS ( with 105 ) to the guy, but it was 300$ above his budget ... the guy picked it up the bike and said it was "way too heavy", and he said he wanted light. ( he was right, he did say "light" about 40 times... ) he ended up leaving, proly thinking the sales guy tried to sell him something he didint want/need... :frightened:

The steel bike he turned down was a 2013 Bianchi Imola :o ... it was mostly 10speed ( new 105 like ) tiegra ( including crank, but not brake calipers ) but the price was 80$ under the bianchi's 1,399$ msrp ... ( he could buy and add the hidden cable 105 levers from the price diff. ) ... After it was all over, I asked the sales guy to weigh the bike, it was 22lbs ! ( for ref. my GF's Trek carbon road bike with 105 is 20 lbs ! ... it def. cost more than 2K... )

The sales guy ( who was :x ) and I agreed, he needs to buy a bike from the "big 3" ( like a Madone 2.1 ) it's at his budget, and its the bike he thinks he wants ... but we both hoped, he'll get a hernia going up a hill ( compact ), and rattle out some fillings ( alu. ) on the way back down ... I sorry, I'm usually not like that, but this guy did all his "reaserch" in some collage race forum, and for some reason... belived ( stubornly ) it applied to him ... :roll:
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Re: I'd never thought. I would like a hybrid ...

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun May 05, 2013 12:04 pm

I hope his 250 lbs is mostly muscle and not fat like me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will not go far or fast or big hills but I am getting out there.

Me and my folding cruiser.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby lancew » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:10 pm

I wasn't fan of a hybrid either. but I went ahead and bought a used diamondback hybrid for $100. I slapped a cow horn or bull handle bars on it, with a layback seatpost. I didn't have any road components so I used old double trigger shifters and hand brakes off mtn bike I had. best road bike EVER. well unless you ride felt or specialized or giant or trek on and on and on. it works for me that's what matters.
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:42 am

I probably only have one bike that people would call a hybrid. [well 2, my wife and I each have 1] They are something I built up. The frames are 40 something year old race bike frames, they are of course steel (Reynolds tubing). I got them for free through the shop. I was lucky.. 1 was my size, the other my wife's. I have them set up as fixie's /' single speeds [with a flip / flop hub]. I set them up with a flat bar, primarily because I had the parts. They would also take the bar mitts that we have. I have these set up with 700c studded tires, for when the roads are sloppy.

In almost all cases I would rather have a modern double crank, vs a triple. Triples were kind of necessary for low gearing, back when the freewheel / cassettes were only 5 speed. Now with 10 [or 11] gears in back, and the introduction of compact gearing. One can get a pretty nice gear range.

I would love to have Sram's 1 x 11 on my mountain race bike.

One bike I still like my triple on, is my Pugsley. On the higher end, on hard pack snow.. I like still pedaling at over 30mph, and I like climbing hills that are steep enough, that we break Shimano Freehubs [I use DT Swiss hubs] :D :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Noob » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Havent been here in a while... a more up to date pic :

:)
Last edited by Noob on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Ok, what is a hybrid bicycle? :thinking:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Ok, what is a hybrid bicycle? :thinking:

Randy

Part road bike, part mountain bike. So a road bike that can do mild offroad.

My wife bought a Raleigh Route 4.0 earlier this year. She is pretty happy with it and did a triathlon with it. I already have my old 25yr old CroMo Marin mountain bike so I got the Carbon Felt Road bike last year. I did get a heavy duty set of wheels to support my massive bulk.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Noob » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Ok, what is a hybrid bicycle? :thinking:

Randy

Its a compromise...

Just like stated above... they can be mounain bike-like with sus forks and 26in wheels and mtb gearing ( triple cranksets), but more upright/comfortable ( some people call them dual/sports ) -or- they can be road bike-like, *skinny* ( 700c ) tires tall gearing ( ten speed, double cranks ), kinda light weight, but just with a flat bar. ( some people cal them fitness bikes ) the big deal is that they are both more upright then a reg mtb or a reg road bike... so they both are made to be more comfortable. ( so less performance orianted. )[ I still think i'm kinda young, ( more into perfomance over comfort ) so thats wny the funny tread title ]
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby citylights » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 pm

My kind of hibred bike comes with an electric motor and battery. Foot Petals optional.
citylights
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Here is what I ride.

It is my Blue Beach Baby

26 inch folder with 3 speed Shimano hub gear. Don't laugh. It has held up well with my 275LBS or so weight on gravel, dirt and Burning Man.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby JuneBug » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Awesome looking murdered-out* bike!
Like +

*murdered-out = all black

Also, remember that the ownership formula for the correct number of bikes = N+1

Noob wrote:Havent been here in a while... a more up to date pic : Image
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby Noob » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Changed some parts around, original adj stem back on ... took the 42c tires off, a bit slow around town.

Noob
The 300 Club

Return to Bicycles