Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby hiker chick » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:28 am

Oasis Maker wrote:It's just a different environment out there now for women and men need to be aware of the frame of mind that it creates ... for all of us really.

Scott G.

A guy that gets it. Thanks Scott!

:thumbsup:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NWsage » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi all!

I'm preparing to take a solo cross-country trip this Spring-Fall, enjoying as many of the national parks/monuments/parkways as I can at a leisurely pace. I've done some solo camping trips before, but this will be my longest thus far. I won't be taking our teardrop, rather I'll be camping out of my car and using a hatchback "galley." I just re-read this thread and love all of the ideas. Here's my security plan right now.
    Situational awareness: If it doesn't feel safe, I don't stop/stay.
    Don't act like a potential victim (purposeful in my movements)
    Have a mechanically-sound, well-maintained car, good tires/spare, fix-a-flat, chains
    Share itinerary with family & friends, plan regular check-in times
    Carry first aid kits w/whistle (car & day pack)
    Carry bear spray and don't hesitate to use it
    Carry key fob with car alarm button
    Carry cell phone (charged)
    Carry SPOT GPS Messenger (911 caller, when I don't have cell reception)
    When dark, have a bright flashlight (also, useful as a small bat)
    Air horn next to bed (along with above carried items)
    At night, put out a large dog food bowl w/heavy-looking chain (even tho' I won't have dogs with me)
    When in bear country, use bear lockers (food, toiletries, cleaning supplies)
    Lock car when sleeping/resting in it.
    If attacked, fight back, yell (re-taking a self-defense class this winter).

I don't have my itinerary totally planned out yet, but i do know that I'll be leaving the Seattle area after Easter and going south to Death Valley NP, then exploring some of the western parks that I haven't been to yet. As I head east, I want to end up in the New England states in the Fall. After that, I'm not sure if I'll drive back home, or head south to FL.

I love scenic less-traved roads, short hikes, camping, wildlife viewing, local culture/history ... Any ideas, feedback on my security/trip ideas ... would love to get it.

Suanne
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:30 pm

:thumbsup: Suanne I sure hope you will keep us in lots of pictures. I truly envy you! There is a solar cell phone charger you might want to invest in.

I too prefer the road less traveled! One thing to remember is that to signal for help when out of the mainstream do it in 3's. Three fires, three shots and such. If you have an aversion to guns then a signal gun, flares or even firecrackers. IN 3's. Oh yeah or a boat horn.

A case of water at all times. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby hiker chick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:03 pm

NWsage wrote:Situational awareness: If it doesn't feel safe, I don't stop/stay.
Don't act like a potential victim (purposeful in my movements)
Have a mechanically-sound, well-maintained car, good tires/spare, fix-a-flat, chains
Share itinerary with family & friends, plan regular check-in times
Carry first aid kits w/whistle (car & day pack)
Carry bear spray and don't hesitate to use it
Carry key fob with car alarm button
Carry cell phone (charged)
Carry SPOT GPS Messenger (911 caller, when I don't have cell reception)
When dark, have a bright flashlight (also, useful as a small bat)
Air horn next to bed (along with above carried items)
At night, put out a large dog food bowl w/heavy-looking chain (even tho' I won't have dogs with me)
When in bear country, use bear lockers (food, toiletries, cleaning supplies)
Lock car when sleeping/resting in it.
If attacked, fight back, yell (re-taking a self-defense class this winter).
[/list]

Excellent start. I camp a lot solo and were I doing such a long trip I would also:

Keep a credit card or cash stash hidden away in the car (under a seat or some such out of the way place - not the glove compartment). Just in case you lose your wallet you don't want to have every dime and all your credit cards disappear with it.

Photocopy of driver's license, passport, credit cards, etc. In case they are lost or stolen. Have 800 numbers handy to cancel cards. Stash out of the way in your car -- perhaps with your spare tire if it's in an inside compartment.

Pre-paid phone card: I needed one in New Hampshire and Maine. Couldn't get cell signal -- used the pre-paid card at pay phones and hotels.

Road hazard reflector-flares-warning lights. I've got a kayak strobe and this battery-powered safety "flare" in my car all the time.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/depa ... =product_8

Seatbelt cutter/auto glass breaker: I carry this primarily in case I happen upon a car accident.

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn ... 1263243103

Fire extinguisher:
Again, more likely you'll use it to help someone else on the road but you should have one in case your own engine catches on fire. Know how to use it.

Extra fuses: Easy to carry, essential components of your vehicle will not operate if a fuse blows. Check out your owners manual, know where the fuse box(es) are located. My Honda has a fuse box under the steering wheel and one in the engine compartment. Usually extra spares are included but your car uses more than one size so take a look. I've blown fuses when plugging things into the accessory outlets, had the horn trip a fuse.

Tire air compressor: Cheap and potentially priceless. Check tire pressure and air them up when the tires are cold.

New windshield wiper blades: When the blades go it's hard to see in the rain or clear bird doo from the windshield.

Duct tape & heavy duty garbage bags: Duct tape has a zillion uses and the garbage bags can be used to cover a broken window.

Sharp knife - folding or fixed-blade:
gotta have a good knife. I'm fond of the pink one below -- made by Benchmade, a portion of the proceeds goes to breast cancer research.

Battery jumper cables (good ones): you car owner's manual should have a section explaining how to jump your car's battery and how to use your car to jump another car's battery. If your car's battery is nearing the end of it's expected life, replace it in advance of your road trip. Know your car's radio code (I've written mine in my owner's manual. If you replace your car battery or the radio fuse goes, you may need to code to use your radio - it's a common anti-theft feature to have the radio lock up if it's removed from the power source.

Read your car owners manual: It would simply be a good thing to be familiar with in advance of a problem.

Weather radio:
I'm fond of this little one from Midland. Tiny, simple and it's worked for me sitting around camp and while driving in the car when the skies turn black and I've wondered just what that portended.

http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-HH50-Pock ... 094&sr=8-3

Security accessible from driver seat: Never know when you're going to be on the receiving end of someone's road rage. I had a whacked cabbie once accuse me of following him for blocks like I was CIA or something (I was in a Miata). Everytime I'm in the car I have within reach: bear spray, "tire knocker" and, for longer trips: an axe.

For $10, Duluth Trading has a nice tire knocker. It's protection utility is alluded to in the product warning below.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/18TK ... d_products

18" long Tire Knocker is made of sturdy hickory

Use for thumping truck tires to determine tire pressure. A nylon cord is provided to secure tool to your hand. Made in USA.

WARNING: Tire Knocker, when stored in the cabin area of a vehicle, may be considered by law enforcement officials as a concealed dangerous weapon. Please review appropriate State laws.

Happy trails!
Last edited by hiker chick on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Another 24/7 precaution I take living where I do is I have a few black bath towels in my car that, in conjuction with the tinted windows, conceal whatever items I have in the back of the car.

Don't leave anything visible in the car when you're away from it.

Smash-and-grab just takes a few seconds. Thieves in DC will smash your car window to grab a few quarters off the floor. The portable GPS unit will vanish in a nanosecond.

Be particularly wary at rest areas, day or night.

:o

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:33 pm

All great advice on here, so good luck and have fun.

Check on my friend, Alison's travel blog. She has taken 2 long trips like this. The first was in her teardrop, and this past 6 month trip was tent camping. Email her and see if she has any other practical tips based on her experience.

http://alisonslife.com/
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby NWsage » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Wow! Such great replies in so little time. Thank you.

Miriam -- Good info about a help signal being in 3's. I have one of those little cell phone chargers too ... so, will have to dig it out. I'll try to remember to take some pics too
:)

Hiker Chick -- So much valuable information. I'll have to figure out a good place to stash extra cash/cards in my car ... maybe a couple of different places. We just sold a tire knocker at a garage sale last summer ... now, I wish I would have kept it ... maybe my hatchet will work just as good? On your list, I think the only other thing I don't have is a weather radio. Also, instead of black towel, I'm using black fleece ... same idea of hiding things tho'.

Susann -- I'm heading over to Alison's site now ... thanks!

Suanne
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 am

Suanne ... I'm can't wait for the day when I can do what you're doing! I hope you will keep us all updated during your trip!

I'm just curious why you're not taking your TD. I would feel much safer and more comfortable with a trailer...unless, of course, you have a van.
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby NWsage » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:41 am

robertaw wrote:I'm just curious why you're not taking your TD.

Hi Roberta,

Until just recently, I didn't know if I'd take our td or not. I was hoping my husband would want to drive cross-country with me, but he considers camping in a teardrop "roughing it" ... and it's just not enjoyable for him. So, I'm making this a solo trip (with John flying up to meet me in New England in the fall for a week in a hotel).

When I've camped by myself in the td before, it seemed such an overkill for my solo style. My focus tends to be on hiking, wildlife, scenic drives, journaling and planning the next leg of my adventure ... rather than setting up camp or cooking. (I actually do enjoy setting up camp & cooking when I'm with John or at a gathering tho'.)

So, I've converted my Prius into a litte "RV" ... I have a very comfortable cot-sized bed, a half-galley under the hatch, and enough storage room for food, water, clothes & gear. I made privacy curtains and use reflectix on the windows to keep warm at night, if needed.

I took a month-long "test trip" last October and it was great. I visited several National Parks in California. Check out the "Prius RV" pictures in my album.

I had seriously considered building an ultra-light one-person teardrop to tow with my Prius. But, since I can set up the Prius itself with a comfortable bed, I decided to forego that build.

For me, the Prius actually feels a bit more secure to sleep in than our teardrop. It wouldn't take much strength to pull open the locked td doors given that they are just 1/2" ply. But, then again, it wouldn't take all that much to smash the windows on my car either ... I guess that's when the bear spray comes in handy
;)
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:35 am

:thumbsup: I would love to see the inside set up. We/I need a new car and wouldn't mind having one I can travel out of.

I have to say I feel safer in my TD. Must be all those windows. Even in my sisters van I didn't feel real safe sleeping because of the huge windows. :?
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Eunice » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:58 am

love this site. It is so great to have such great friends that you have never met. so many that take the time to share experiences to help keep each other safe.
ladies just want to say that I think you are wonderful and I am so happy to be part of this board.
Suann it sounds like you are going to have a wonderful trip. I would love to do something like that.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby hiker chick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:58 pm

NWsage wrote:
So, I've converted my Prius into a litte "RV" ... I have a very comfortable cot-sized bed, a half-galley under the hatch, and enough storage room for food, water, clothes & gear. I made privacy curtains and use reflectix on the windows to keep warm at night, if needed.
;)

A Prius RV -- now that's impressive.

So you recline the seats and put an air mattress on top?

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NWsage » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:15 pm

hiker chick wrote:So you recline the seats and put an air mattress on top?

The two back seats recline independently. I recline the wider passenger-side back seat for a base for my bed. My bed is made up of a regular thermarest pad on the bottom and a cot-sized 1.5" foam mattress on top. The reason I use both is for several reasons: it's more cushy, it covers up a small bump from a latch, and for warmth. I make it up like my teardrop bed, with sheets and a down comforter. I'm 5'2" and have room to spare.

I leave the driver's side back seat up and use that space as an "entry way" in the evenings. It's where I sit and read or use my laptop after I put up the privacy curtains. And, it's just roomy enough for me to dress. When I'm on the road, it's also where I keep all the stuff that needs to be in a bear locker (when I'm in bear country).

Miriam -- I posted a couple of pictures in my album so you can see how it is set up. I don't have all my gear and food in it now, but I think you'll get the general idea. When I get it fully outfitted, I'll post that picture too.

Suanne
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 pm

:applause: Now that works. Thanks so much. Isn't it a shame someone didn't make a front seat that lays down for taller folks. I looked at an HHR this afternoon. Felt kinda of claustrophobic but will do the same thing.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby NWsage » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Isn't it a shame someone didn't make a front seat that lays down for taller folks.

Miriam ... I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I found this site of someone else who also sleeps in his Prius "with the passenger seat all the way forward and the headrest off, its back can drop down to just under the level of where the rear seat back [also sans headrest] comes down on top" (http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/nest/). There's a couple of pictures toward the bottom that show his set up.

Suanne
NWsage
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers