Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Catoosa Grani » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your help. I do understand about the better materials being in the better shops. That is why I was asking for advice and I will check everything out that you have given me.

Doug, I sure wish I was close enough to come to your shop. I really like what I have seen that you have done. Of course I do know you are an expert at this.

Thanks again everyone. Will keep you posted.
Grani
:?
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:48 pm

doug hodder wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:As with anything, Have fun and buy all your tools at Walmart unless there is a great sale. :thumbsup:

Don't complain when your local fabric shop closes up then. They will give you a lot better service than a WalMart. And also...for petes sake...don't drag your crappy WalMart fabric into a decent store and ask how to fix something, unless you are ready for the reply, and don't deny that it's WalMart fabric...we all know exactly what it is. Haul it back to WalMart and see what you get for an answer! Doug

:O :BE Walmart sells the same cutters and mats as the fabric stores do here. To get really good scissors you need a fabric store or a quilt shop. I buy my needles and thimbles at a quilt shop because they are different. And if you are doing machine quilting you need good thread and not the same stuff used for hand quilting. I had to go out in the country to find good-matching-hand quilting thread.

As for quilt shops, a good one is darn hard to beat. And yes there is a huge difference in quality of material and variety. Find one that gives you service and not just sells to you. Then visit a lot. You will get in on all the promos and learn of new stuff.

btw. I found one about 12 miles out in the country. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:17 pm

Yes they do sell the same cutters and mats etc....just as they sell the same hardware, tools etc...as a lot of the hardware stores. My point is that if people don't support the independent shops, and their services, whatever they may be, then be prepared to live strictly in a WalMart world. I think you'll find that a dollar saved here or there on something like a cutter will be quickly offset by the information/assistance that you can freely get from an independent shop. Sorry...I'm a little biased...from my point of veiw on a more positive note...WalMart is going to be cutting back on their fabric departments nationally. Some stores will be discontinuing fabric sales completely, however, in markets where they had a stronger share, they will continue. according to American Quilt Retailer. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby NutmegJoe » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:41 pm

I've been wanting to start a quilt, but didn't think I would have the time...I'm thinking I'll have plenty of time this winter in the cold reaches of North Dakota. Once I get settled, I'll have to have a craft room just for these purposes.

Better start looking for a local quilt shop! :lol: :R
Shelly
--------------
"Do what you like,
Like what you do"

NutmegJoe
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Everyone reading this...please note. My comments about "dragging" fabric into a store had nothing to do with Miriam, Mary or any other quilters on this thread. It was only meant as a generalization in the industry and not directed to anyone in particular. True quilters know the difference in quality. If I offended anyone, I apologize, that was not my intent. There is a vast difference between the WalMart fabrics and what any independent store offers. In fact, vendors are not allowed to sell an independent store the same materials, and vice versa. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:05 am

:twisted: :lol: The mean me wants to see you wiggle some more. :lol: However I was sure you were defending a valued industry.

I will say one thing about it. There are lots (the majority) of people in this country who can't really afford not to shop at Walmart or Joanns or......... for the majority of their needs.

Attention to detail, from fabric purchase to craftswomanship ( :x google doesn't recognize that as a word.) will make a quilt nicer even with lesser quality material.

Quality in material is both thread count and dye quality. If you hold a piece of material up to the light and can see gaping holes---buy something else.------Hide your eyes Doug----even a cheap cotton sheet will be better. :lol: ;)

And do look for sales........ :thumbsup: Often the shops will have clearance material that costs less than Walmart or other discount stores.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Catoosa Grani » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:25 am

Doug, I am sorry if I started something here, I just needed your advise. I appreciate what you had to say as well as Miriam, Mary, and the rest of you.

Thanks!
Betty
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:26 am

A website for you Betty. :thinking: A big show coming up in June. :thinking:
http://www.greencountryquiltersguild.co ... 0show.html
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby swissarmygirl » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:25 pm

Can anyone tell me if there's a good online source for fabric?
I can't find anywhere around here for fabric since the Rag Shop closed down. There's a Joann's, but its a bit of a drive. That leaves me with nothing but Wal-Mart. :roll:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:29 pm

swissarmygirl wrote: That leaves me with nothing but Wal-Mart. :roll:

And that wouldn't even do you any good around here, ours dumped all it's cloth when they re-arranged the place.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:44 pm

swissarmygirl wrote:Can anyone tell me if there's a good online source for fabric?
I can't find anywhere around here for fabric since the Rag Shop closed down. There's a Joann's, but its a bit of a drive. That leaves me with nothing but Wal-Mart. :roll:

This is a good list of fabric makers. I copied it from High Sierra Quilters website. If you look for these you should find online suppliers. Or you can nag the owner of HSQ to do online business. :R

Kaufman, Hoffman, Timeless Treasures, Moda, Andover, RJR, Thimbleberries, Alexander Henry, Kona Bay, Maywood, Bali, Red Rooster, P&B, Trendtex, Clothworks
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby swissarmygirl » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Miriam C. wrote:
swissarmygirl wrote:Can anyone tell me if there's a good online source for fabric?

This is a good list of fabric makers. I copied it from High Sierra Quilters website. If you look for these you should find online suppliers. Or you can nag the owner of HSQ to do online business. :R

Kaufman, Hoffman, Timeless Treasures, Moda, Andover, RJR, Thimbleberries, Alexander Henry, Kona Bay, Maywood, Bali, Red Rooster, P&B, Trendtex, Clothworks

Excellent...I'll check those out. Thanks!
I'm not quilting, although I might in the future. Right now, I'm making some nifty fabric shopping bags.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:13 pm

Or you can do it like my Grandmother used to. She would use flour sacks and old clothes that were to torn to wear any more. I think her one of her quilts was in the University museum.

I only have one of hers now that she is gone. :(

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Catoosa Grani » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks again Miriam. I hope I get to go to that. I am getting excited about starting a quilt. First chance I get, I will go out and "seek the knowledge". ha ha

Betty
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby t-vicky » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:01 pm

I loaded some pics of my sunflower quilt on my album. Its ready to be quilted. If anyone in south central Ks. needs some machine quilting done contact me. My wife does machine quilting.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=32936
The impossable just takes longer & cost more.
t-vicky
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers