Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Quilting Bee anyone?

Postby nevadatear » Sun May 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Hmm. I thought i posed the finished quilt for baby jacobi. I guess not. Here it is
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368392619.416943.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368392619.416943.jpg (204.39 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun May 12, 2013 4:07 pm

That is so pretty.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 12, 2013 8:54 pm

bonnie wrote:That is so pretty.

+1 :thumbsup:

Thanks for remembering us and sharing. :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby milliejohn » Sun May 12, 2013 10:57 pm

rebapuck wrote:Any new quilts out there? I ask because I, myself, have done nothing of late.

My plan was to do a Hawaiian style next, but I've gotten sidetracked. For a week at the beach, I picked up a number of quilting magazines at the grocery. I haven't looked at quilting magazines in at least a decade. Before that, I subscribed to them all. I would look at them once and put them on a shelf. Finally, about three years ago, I Freecycled hundreds of them. Six months later, my niece got into quilting. Figures.

Anyway, I was blown away by all the new trends in quilts. So bright, easy, contemporary. Now I suddenly have about five I want to do next. And all my fabfic seems so old and stodgy. Shopping anyone?

I started out cutting sports emblems off old sweatshirts, then it was kiddy things like mickey mouse, winnie the pooh, finally I started saving labels out of everything, the quilt below is all hand sewn, king size, and took 5 winters of sewing, 10-15 stitches per inch. Matching pillowcases followed, and I will now pass the torch to hands much younger than mine.

The last picture below is one room of my dollhouse work: miniature quilts in bedrooms of course.

Millie
Image ~I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left~
milliejohn
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Mon May 13, 2013 11:18 am

Oh my goodness!! You are good.

What did you stitch the "sampler" quilt pieces to? Or are they stitched to each other?

Very good job on the dollhouse. I would not even call that a dollhouse. That's a miniature room. Almost got into that many years ago. Bought alot of magazines , but never got the to the first step. Finally lost interest. Quilts are my thing.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby milliejohn » Mon May 13, 2013 11:40 am

each label is hand sewn, 12-14 stitches per inch, the whole front is labels. more pictures in our album-----http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2974

I have built 14 dollhouses this size, this one is called "Lady of the Lake" after a house on Lake Merrel in Oakland, California

Last edited by milliejohn on Sat May 18, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ~I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left~
milliejohn
Teardrop Master

Postby martha24 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Life has been crazy since the Dam Gathering!

Here is the quilt I made for my grandson, my first grandchild. It is probably a good thing that I have only one daughter as she likes to be the designer. Originally it was to have biplanes on one side and minky on the other. Then she saw the herringbone pattern and it became a reversible quilt. I must say making a reversible quilt was an interesting challenge in keeping everything lined up. I made side two after I put side 1 (herringbone) together, but with a border, the edges needed to line up pretty much exactly.

Herringbone side has white & grey with white dots fabrics. Biplane side has a small herringbone patterned fabric & grey with white dots with biplane appliques, baby name & date hand embroidered & a navy ribbon between border & main fabric. The whole quilt was hand quilted. My daughter picked out the fabric, picked out bi-plane pattern, decided where she wanted the planes to go and the whole general design including chain-stitch embroidery. She like the look of the hand quilting, so that is what I did. I don't mind hand quilting and frankly like the look as well. She likes vintage modern, I tend to be more retro. By doing it her way, I know she will enjoy it which makes my time worth while.

Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Fri May 17, 2013 5:15 pm

That's wonderful. He will be able to use that his whole life.

I prefer hand quilting too.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bonnie » Fri May 17, 2013 8:16 pm

That is wonderful. All of them.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat May 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Beautiful job, Martha. I love the bi-planes and personalization, which, along with all your hand sewing, will make it very special and precious for many years and maybe generations to come. Your daughter and family are fortunate indeed!

Glad to hear that you made it back home safely and that all is well on your home front. Busy can be good! :)

...Your "Dam" neighbor.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed May 22, 2013 12:40 am

Martha...I dig the biplane quilt! Having just gotten back from Quilt Market it's right up there with all the new trends in quilting. Everyone here has some great projects in quilting and thanks for showing what you are all doing!

I finished up the quilt for the new trailer and also have a "tag team" quilt for the fair. I pieced a classic almost civil war fabric...had a lady do the applique on it, had Carla...my secret quilter do the quilting, and another lady do the binding....It's going in as a "group quilt" for the fair. While it may take a bit of time to load, (large file) it's got a duck hunter and you can't see it...it has my name on the hunters cap. This one is mostly free hand and some computer work, on the duck/loon items. Carla does some incredible work and I'm fortunate to have her as a friend to bounce ideas off. I conspire with her about trailer interior colors and ideas.

The 2nd quilt shown in her blog is the quilting for the Kamp King quilt. All I need to do is finish up on the binding on it and it's ready to go. Curtains match the quilt. I think it's a winner, and will tone down the yellow, kinda has a retro look to it, this one is computer. I always try to make any of my trailers a complete package, right down to the quilt, curtains, apron, placemats etc.....It may seem corny, but that's the sizzle that sells. Thank you Carla for making me look good, I appreciate it. Doug

http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com/
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby martha24 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:21 am

Thanks for all the compliments. :)

Doug, I will have to tell my daughter what you said. She will really enjoy hearing it.
doug hodder wrote: Having just gotten back from Quilt Market it's right up there with all the new trends in quilting.

Truthfully, she is very good at picking up on design trends, not that she has ever designed a quilt before. I really like how the quilt turned out, but without her major input on the design, I wouldn't have created it on my own. She likes modern and vintage modern design in general. I found a variety of modern quilts on the internet to give her ideas. The bi-plane side idea stemmed from part of a quilt back where someone had added an elephant applique on a solid grey background. When she saw a quilt done with the chevron pattern, she really wanted it too. Which is how the quilt turned into a reversible quilt. The whole designing of the quilt was a huge process, which is typical of the projects where she does most of designing with some input from me and then I do the making of it.

Fabric shopping was another whole process. LOL

The whole process is part of the creating and working with my daughter always leads to creating something that neither of us would have created on our own. Seeing something turn out nicely makes it is well worth the effort!
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm washing and ironing fabric for the next quilt. Wondering if anyone else has the same frustrations with JoAnn's fabrics that I have.

I don't especially like JoAnn's fabrics because they are cheap quality. Of course the price is cheap too. Have to balance the two. But my local quilt shop, where I buy yardage, does not carry much in the way of single cut fat quarters. The selection is slim and they are usually bundled. I rarely want the whole bundle. JoAnn's, on the other hand, has a large selection of fat quarters, usually on sale.

These fat quarter fabrics are thin, impossible to iron smooth and cut skewed. All this I can live with. What drives me nuts is washing, drying and ironing and finding faded lines in the design. Like it's abraded the ink away. Anyone else have this problem? Solved it?

I wash the small cuts in a lingerie bag. They go into the dryer loose. I now lay them out flat from the dryer, smoothing while warm and stacking until I can iron. What am I doing wrong?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby nevadatear » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Yes, i have stopped shopping there at all. Not only is the quality bad, theservice is awful. Perhaps it is just the reno one, but i have to wIt usually 20-30 min at the cutting table and another 10 at checkout. Please the clerks are just rude. Done feeding the cheap, low service machine. I shop at just independant quilt stores now, like dougs, or for other things, i still go tomy local hancocks, where at least the service is goid.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:34 pm

I may have to stop shopping there too. I worry about a quilt lasting through more than a wash or two.

I want to support my local shop, so maybe if they aren't too busy, they won't mind cutting several 1/2 yd lengths. And there's the Internet. Just hard to see exactly the color.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers