Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Mary K » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Image All right everyone, it is now officially quilt season. The shop hops are done and gone (I missed it) so lets move this to the top for a bit. :twisted:

The goal is to show off your quilts. Size doesn't matter! :thumbsup:

OKay...but Shhhhhh :shhh: Dad said Mom has bought me a quilt that is just like the one I used to carry round all the time when I was little....I don't hardly remember but I think it was red, white and blue.... :twisted:

Now, If I just had a bed in my TD to put it on... :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:11 pm

:lol: ;) :thumbsup: :twisted: Whats my favorite word Mary K? :pictures: You have great parents!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:17 pm

Miriam C. wrote::lol: ;) :thumbsup: :twisted: Whats my favorite word Mary K? :pictures: You have great parents!

I am a spoiled brat, but Yes, I have the best parents in the world.I will get pic's as soon an Mom surprises me with it... :lol: :shhh:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:23 pm

Mary K,
You are bad, really bad. :lol:
So about this quilting bee...
Could I do a side enclosure for the tear and pretend that it's a quilt???? :thinking:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Mary K,
You are bad, really bad. :lol:
So about this quilting bee...
Could I do a side enclosure for the tear and pretend that it's a quilt???? :thinking:

That sounds really nice Dean. You could do one to match the sides of the TD. Could do a quilt to match. You and Joanie could quilt it together. 8) ;)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gaelen » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:49 am

Aunti M, do my curtains count?
I didn't do the piecing, but I've been picking up fabric scraps all summer to make a complementary quilt this winter...greens, peaches, sunflower yellows in a star or nine-patch, still playing with the design in my head but it will be on an angle like the piecing in the curtains and have a bleached muslin 'frame' around the design.

Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:39 pm

Gaelen, I think that will make a wonderful quilt. I also love to see matching curtains. Sometimes you get inspiration from other items. 8) 8)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby martha24 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:50 pm

Question for those who have quilts in their TD. What size do you make the quilt? Just the size of the top of the bed or wider and fold it under when it isn't in use? The size of the top of the bed would look better, I would think, but bigger would be more practical when sleeping.

I've bought some 1930s replica fabric - to go with my 1930s wheels :twisted: :lol: . With 1930 quilts a whole variety of fabric can be used. I bought most of it in Rapid City, SD, but also bought other little pieces in Redding, CA and on our latest trip up to the SLO gathering at 4 different fabric stores while looking for fabric for my learning project. (see below)

I've done plenty of sewing in my life, but decided first to take a quilting class through our Adult Education system we have here, which means first I'm making a sampler quilt.

So I want to continue designing my 30s quilt, so what size would you quilters suggest??? Aunti M what do you think?? :thinking:
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:13 pm

http://www.blockcentral.com/quiltsizes.shtml

Martha here is a handy chart for determining size. I made mine 80" inches because my swans fit the pattern I wanted. I also have room behind and in front of the bed to drop it. What you might consider is how much blanket you normally need to be covered when sleeping. You can always make the bed by folding some of the quilt under itself if it is in the way.

Thing is if you are larger, and I am, you need more than a real skinny person. If you sleep in the middle, and we do, you need less than people who sleep miles apart.

Your instructor can help you with block sizing to get the size you want. :thumbsup: ;)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

quilts

Postby CASHCOW » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:29 pm

Last year for Christmas, I got an awesome new sewing machine. I decided that I needed my "tools" as well as Mike needed his garage full of tools....so.....I am in the process of making our TD quilt. I will try to get some pics of the work in progress...as it goes along....... I usuallly hand quilt all my quilts but I am making a "ragged" quilt and machine quilting as I go...that way it just might be finished by the time Mike finishes the td.we are having a contest to see who finished first......the quilt or the td.... :lol:

Thanks M. for the thread. I love quilting and have made many quilts in my lifetime.. will be nice to share some stories when we meet up at a TD outing.......

Brenda.
Serro Scotty Hilander http://txmc08.blogspot.com/
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Here ya go Miriam...you saw the top at ITG2 but I finally got it quilted and the binding on. The quilter put in an outline of the trailer, my logo, lots of space quotes, aliens, some political statements, a constellation of my dog etc...It's a real search for all the things hidden. She's a free hand/free style quilter. It matches the curtains, pillowcases etc...It's a real basic quilt, but I'm still on a learning curve. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Joanne » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:07 pm

doug hodder wrote:

She's an artist!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Gaelen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:05 am

Doug, that's really nice work...I'm a free-hand quilter and hand piecer and the cool part is always 'hiding' things in the work. Way to go!
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby swissarmygirl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 am

:o :o :o
I am constantly amazed by everyone's abilities here.
We are a seriously talented group of individuals....if I may say so.
:)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:49 pm

Joanne wrote:
doug hodder wrote:

She's an artist!

Joanne

OHHHHHHHHHHHH! I really love that! The quilter did a beautiful job. It is always nice to see the stitches and have them match the theme.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers