Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby rebapuck » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 am

Martha, That quilt is as big as you are!! Hope it's not too big for the nephew to drag around. He's going to love it.

Can anyone give me the general size for a crib quilt? Perhaps I should be aiming for that size instead of square, like mine always seem to end up.

I made a bed quilt for my sister years ago. (it started my hiatus) Everyone who sees it asks how I matched the curtains. Well, my sister made the curtains using some of the same fabric. Co-ordination goes a long way in bringing a decor together.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby martha24 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:46 pm

Judy,
The crib quilt batting size is 45" x 60". It could also be used as a lap quilt size. That size wouldn't be any good for a little one to drag around, but would work as a cover in a crib. It would also work (if I had made it sooner) to put in on the floor and put the baby on it.

It is also the size as children grow that they could continue to use it. Which is the reason that for a boy I didn't want it too babyish. My sister-in-law made a quilt with a teddy bear that size for my daughter when she was a baby and my daughter had that quilt on her bed until basically high school age as she loved it.

Actually it is my husband holding the quilt. :lol:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Like Martha says....45x60 is the batting size for a true crib. Most quilts, usable, are rectangular, for any bedding uses. If you want it quilted by a long arm quilter, most long armers typically will require the batting to be about 3-4" all around the edges, same with the backing. That gives the quilter some extra to stretch/machine adjust when getting all set up. So a "crib" quilt top would end up being 39x52. The advantage here is that it gives you a chance to square it all up prior to binding. ( and it doesn't get the quilter all cranky)

If it's just you doing the work (ie quilting), do what will work for you. "Crib" means a lot of different things to a lot of people. Just what I've experienced. I've had lots of people ask me, "how large should a crib quilt be". I've found it better to never give any "hard" numbers....since I never know what their ultimate plan is, and often times, they don't know either. I only give parameters and ask a ton of questions to help them tie it all down to what their needs are. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rebapuck » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for the info.

My hands are feeling better as I haven't picked up a needle in 4-5 days. I have been piecing at the machine though. I've read in the past of quilters who finish a quilt and make a few blocks with the scraps. Set the blocks aside and go on to the next quilt. When they have a stack of blocks, they make them into another quilt. I've decided to do that and my block is the Bow Tie. I just love the one I did and want to make more. A 3" Bow Tie uses a minute amount of focus fabric and I can make use of all those little bits. I'm just being sure to use the same background fabric.

A drawer has been designated as keeper of the blocks and I have close to 20 in there already.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:08 am

Trying to keep the thread alive...Here's one I finished the top on yesterday. Pattern is called Magic Squares, did it up in batiks. I really like the 3D and geometric look of it. Makes a good guys quilt. Doug

Last edited by doug hodder on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby nevadatear » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:02 am

Doug, I like it! I have been trying to get back in the swing of things. I worked on a couple of quiet books for my grand kids birthdays during the last few weeks, I will try to post some pics tonight. I have gotten back to hand quilting my son's quilt a little. It is so hard with my so painful thumb. I now have three baby quilts to make in the next several months, the first one is due in October, so I am combing through Quiltmaker magazine for ideas. It will be all pieced and/or machine applique and machine quilting, so easier on the thumb and quicker.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 am

Doug, that's gorgeous. Did you make full blocks and cut them in half? or piece half blocks?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:17 am

You sew full blocks together in light/dark colors, lay 2 different on top of each other, sew 2 seams kitty corner and cut it down the middle and hope that your points are good. Judy...I've got VW bus fabric... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rebapuck » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:10 pm

I don't need fabric. I got the real thing!!
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Bump! No one has posted in 3 months on this one...so thought I'd put up a pic. Here's a quilt I just finished up. It's sort of a Deco art quilt type thing, no real pattern just free lanced the design, but colors and patterns in the fabric are typical Deco. I had it quilted in a lot of straight line design in white/black variegated thread. It's a large throw size.

This one is a Christmas present for the lady that did up the Waffle Dog patches. She's my best customer and more importantly, a great friend. She's given me a couple of family Coleman lanterns, and Inn and Out Burgers on my birthday. Her husband always gives me loads of tomato's from their garden as well. She oohhed and ahhhed over it before it was finished...and she doesn't know it's coming. I'm looking forward to giving someone something that I know they will really like. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Maureenm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:27 pm

That is going to be so fun, especially since she has already admired it, unknowingly the future recipient. Please pass along our (AWDA) gratitude for making the patches. Beautiful quilt!
Maureen
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Doug, I love it, it is a :beautiful: . Your have really come into your own as a designer and quilt maker! I have been busy with my Christmas project, and as soon as I can find a minute I will post pics. New stocking for the new grandson, "twirly" dress for a granddaughter, overalls and vest for the other grandson, aprons for both granddaughters, and of course, my annual 3" quilted Christmas ornaments for our tree and each of the 4 kids!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Great looking quilt Doug!

This one doesnt compare to that, but one of my friends made me this quilt for my new teardrop, with material to match my teardrop curtains. It measures a little over 5'x6'.

Here's my curtains (which I kept for my new teardrop)

Now I just need to finish the new teardrop!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 pm

so here are my Christmas projects:
"spinny dress" for my 3 yr old granddaughter
Image According to Eleanor, and 3 yr olds know all, it is a petticoat that makes a dress "spin".
New stocking for new grandson Thiago (pronounced "tee ah go")
Aprons for both Ellie and Imani
Some of my quilted Christmas Ornaments
Grandson Caleb's overalls:
closeup of this year's crazy quilt ornament
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Debbie, you have been busy. Your grandchildren are fortunate to have some making things for them. They turned out beautifully. It also looks like you had fun making them.

Doug, Your quilt is really one of a kind and it is stunning.

Since I last posted, I finished two more crib size quilts baby quilts.

One for a great niece made of 1930's reprints. I hand embroidered the hearts on it with a chain stitch.

The other is for the nephew of my son-in-law. I loved the royal fabric with dots and had enough for the interior of a quilt and had enough backing fabric for another quilt, so I basically made a second one slightly different and a little smaller.

I have a quilt top made for a different great niece, but the quilt won't get finished until Jan at some point.

I also finished a lined wool dress for my daughter.

Right now I'm totally enjoying my son being home for 3 weeks. He is Air Force stationed in Japan and hasn't been home for 2 1/2 years. :) Everything else can wait.

Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers