Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:00 am

:o Ok---not really a beginner---but some practice when you are bored. If you fuse, you would need to leave room to roll under and stitch the edges. The hardest part I see is the tree trunks being inside the leaf pattern and the back ground sticking through. I've never tried to do a dimensional scape before.

Does she give instructions with the pattern?

Seems I heard there was a fusable background stuff that you could wash away when the stitching was done. You would definitely need a foundation to stitch it to. Could even draw out the pattern on some muslin....Let me do some checking. First thing you need to learn is to hem or blind stitch. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:02 am

Hey Doug, do you have a material with those trees in one piece that can be fussy cut out?
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:19 am

A lot of those patterns use Steam a seam...won't wash away...I don't know exactly how the artist that Danny is talking to is doing it, especially for a full sized bed quilt, usually they are wall hangings..but if it's a needle turned applique...it's gonna be a real challenge, and worth a ton of money when completed....the size of the quilt he is looking at is pretty big...but you could fuse it, then with a lot of time and effort, sew the edges of the trees, but check out the detail and lines on them...I've done them only smaller...

The tree fabric, typically isn't an actual printed tree that can be fussy cut...I haven't seen one available at that size...just a batik in a pine type green, and the shape of it makes it a tree, unfortunately with the Steam a Seam method, it isn't as soft as an applique technique. I used the steam a seam stuff on my Dick and Jane thing...At any rate...it's not going to be a weekend project...doug :thinking:
PS...I could be wrong, but I'd bet that is how Norma did her whale wall hanging...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:30 am

doug hodder wrote:Danny....those type of projects look best in Batiks...Hoffman Fabrics make a group/ line that are especially spectacular in a design like that, and have some that are specific to the McKenna Ryan designs from Pine Needles...Doug

Doug, your talking in terms that are very familiar to you and foreign to me. :? I guess I would need to take a course in fabrics, sewing & quilts to understand, thanks, ;) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:05 pm

I was back searching for another quilt since my eBay order never came :x . Won the wall quilt today and will have to add 10" to all the edges to get it to the required size. I found lots of nice websites for quilts. For those who are doing a beach theme this one would be nice. :D Danny
http://www.paulshomefashions.citymax.com
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mfkaplan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Finally finished the quilt for the teardrop. Iv'e been collecting travel fabrics for some time. The curtains ar made frome the license plate fabric. I still have some pillows to cover. This was the first quilt that i completed on my quilting frame.

Mary
Mom's Nest[/img]
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:29 am

That's a nice quilt Mary. I'll have to look at it closer at the Dam Gathering.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:04 am

:beautiful: :woohoo: Very nice Mary! Did you get a long arm machine? How do you like it? Inquiring minds really want to know 8)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mfkaplan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:20 am

I don't have a longarm machine as such. I have a frame(Penneywinkle) and I use a Brother PQ 1500 on it. THe frame is 8' long because that's all I have room for. The machine is just a large regular straight stitch machine. It does have a longer throat. I can quilt a 6" strip at a time. By the way the road fabric in the sashing is a narrow strip of black and white stripe sandwitched between 2 black strips.

Mary
Mom's nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:48 am

:applause: One of these days I am going to have to quit being so leary of small pieces. The road really enhances the travel fabric. :thumbsup:

Oh I better start saving. I looked up the Pennywinkle. It is even within reach. :twisted:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:31 am

The quilt that I ordered came yesterday :cry: So much for Internet buying. At fist inspection it looks like a quilt (made in China) :thumbdown: and then on close inspection it's just a printed scene of bears with some machine sewing around most of the patch work edges to look like a quilt. They didn't even sew around all the print borders. Someone did some sloppy hand stitching to make it appear like it was hand made. There isn't enough material to keep the dog warm so we will keep it only for display purposes if we use it at all. :( Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:34 pm

You might want to send that back. That shouldn't happen. You might want to restrict your buying to something you can touch.

I am sorry you are having so much trouble. :cry:
You can buy pre-printed panels even at walmart.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:36 pm

I'll have some cheese with my whine and I'll get over it :lol: It looks very much like the picture just China quality (oxymoron?). It's not the sellers fault and it wasn't expensive. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:11 am

bledsoe3 wrote:Here's a quilt my mother-in-law made for my daughter.

Here's a ruler to give an idea how many individual squares were used to make this one.

Two months later and my mother-in-law made another quilt for my other daughter.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed May 09, 2007 10:56 am

:o :applause: Boy she sure has a way with color. Only thing is you left out the "big picture". 8)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers