Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby doug hodder » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 am

Miriam...here's the quilt for the new trailer, "the American Voyager" its official name. My first real quilt where I actually had to worry about points. The plan is to get it quilted with a cross between Art Deco and Craftsman style patterns. Black binding will frame it all. I've got matching pillowcases and the curtains are done in the lighter rose pattern with contrasting trims. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:52 am

Gee Doug that is verrry stylish..as always.. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Classic Finn ;) :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:17 am

doug hodder wrote:Miriam...here's the quilt for the new trailer, "the American Voyager" its official name. My first real quilt where I actually had to worry about points. The plan is to get it quilted with a cross between Art Deco and Craftsman style patterns. Black binding will frame it all. I've got matching pillowcases and the curtains are done in the lighter rose pattern with contrasting trims. Doug

Them ole girls at the shop are really gettin' you trained good!!! 8)
You'll make somebody an excellent wife someday!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just jerkin' yer chain....wish I had the time and patience for that!!! :applause:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:55 am

Nitetimes wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Miriam...here's the quilt for the new trailer, "the American Voyager" its official name. My first real quilt where I actually had to worry about points. The plan is to get it quilted with a cross between Art Deco and Craftsman style patterns. Black binding will frame it all. I've got matching pillowcases and the curtains are done in the lighter rose pattern with contrasting trims. Doug

Them ole girls at the shop are really gettin' you trained good!!! 8)
You'll make somebody an excellent wife someday!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just jerkin' yer chain....wish I had the time and patience for that!!! :applause:

Now dat be a good one Rich :lol: :lol: :lol:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beautiful: And well trained indeed. Beautiful quilt Doug. Now you are going to leave this one in here RIGHT???? :lol:

You have done a great job on the points. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:44 am

Doug,
You Suck!!! :envious:
It's Beautiful!!! :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby t-vicky » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:28 pm

Got about half the blocks sewed together on my sunflower quilt today. I will post some pics after I get more done.
The impossable just takes longer & cost more.
t-vicky
Teardrop Master

Postby satch » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:56 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Doug,
You Suck!!! :envious:
It's Beautiful!!! :thumbsup:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Go Dougie!!!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby satch » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:58 pm

Did tou epoxey that too?!!! :lol:
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Catoosa Grani » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:00 pm

I have a great grand baby due in Sept. and I would like to make a quilt for it. I have never made one so I am at a loss as to where to begin. I was thinking of maybe getting a kit and learn that way. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might buy a kit? I want to do it in colors that would go for a boy or girl. Should I start somewhere else other than a kit? Like taking a class somewhere first? I have checked around and so far found nothing here. In a place as large as Tulsa, I am sure there are classes somewhere.

Thanks for any help you can give me. All of your quilts are beautiful!
Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby mfkaplan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:41 am

Grani,
Google "Quilt Shop, Tulsa." Also look in the yellow pages under quilt shop. There seem to be several in your area. Almost all quilt shops will help beginners get started. They also have beginner's classes. Simple baby quilts are not hard to make. What a wonderful welcome for a new baby. Good Luck. Let us know how you made out.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:26 am

Catoosa Grani wrote:I have a great grand baby due in Sept. and I would like to make a quilt for it. I have never made one so I am at a loss as to where to begin. I was thinking of maybe getting a kit and learn that way. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might buy a kit? I want to do it in colors that would go for a boy or girl. Should I start somewhere else other than a kit? Like taking a class somewhere first? I have checked around and so far found nothing here. In a place as large as Tulsa, I am sure there are classes somewhere.

Thanks for any help you can give me. All of your quilts are beautiful!
Grani

Hi Grani, you might start with some lookin. Here is the url for Simply Quilts. It is a tv show and has video to watch.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_qlt/

Also a good resource for finding patterns is:
http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/

This will take months if not years to go all the way through. :thumbsup:

Mary's right about the quilt shops. The fabric is more but the quality is better too.

As with anything, Have fun and buy all your tools at Walmart unless there is a great sale. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:23 am

Grani...a lot of stores will have a beginning quilting class. Typically it will be 3 or 4 classes, teach you the basics of how to use the tools, read a pattern, and some of the basic blocks. Also check with any local community centers, churches etc...that have adult educational programs. When you're done you'll have a small sampler quilt, but all the techniques are used so it's a great learning experience. A good place to start is with the book Start Quilting by Alex Anderson. The beginning class uses that book and our beginning project is in there. Just remember...one step at a time. I see people all the time come in and get some major project going that's way over their head, then get discouraged and bag it. Cheater panels are an easy baby quilt. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby mfkaplan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Miriam is right about buying tools at Walmart. I buy the tools I can there. They are the same ones the quilt shop sells. I buy fabric at the quilt shop. It's more expensive but better quality especially for quilts that get used and washed a lot. If you look at the bolt ends, you will find that a lot of Walmart's fabric is made in China.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:10 pm

Miriam C. wrote:As with anything, Have fun and buy all your tools at Walmart unless there is a great sale. :thumbsup:

Don't complain when your local fabric shop closes up then. They will give you a lot better service than a WalMart. And also...for petes sake...don't drag your crappy WalMart fabric into a decent store and ask how to fix something, unless you are ready for the reply, and don't deny that it's WalMart fabric...we all know exactly what it is. Haul it back to WalMart and see what you get for an answer! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers