Lady Tear Droppers, drop in and say "Hello"!

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Et Cetera » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:51 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:Well, Teri... that still counts!!! I guess you could say your building in your head, or maybe like me -- you've got a notebook started with lists and sketches, or been saving pictures etc...
:o

Here's a pic of me so everyone knows what I look like:

My husband, Steve, is doing all of the re-construction. I'm just doing the easy stuff like taking out screws, sanding, painting, coming up with ideas that create more work for Steve, etc.
There's been some rot to remove, but Steve did an excellent job. The trailer wasn't constructed as water tight as we'd like, so there's going to be some work ahead to make sure it's all sealed up right.
~Teri
Et Cetera
Teardrop Master

Postby kiacker » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:14 pm

Howdy all!

Greetings fellow teardrop builders from another gal here working on her teardrop. 8) Just getting started so it may not look like much, but looking forward to getting it done. Am planning on taking it camping and kayaking with the "mutt". My hope is to finish it as a woodie since it has some wonderful red oak grain. Made it a 5x8 on a 4x8 Harbor Freight frame. I've really enjoyed the design and build process so far and have been able to use a lot of my woodworking skills my grandfather taught me. Now I'll always thing of him when I use it!

If it hadn't been for this forum and for all the excellent woman builders on here I might not have attempted this on my own! :thumbsup:
Lisa

My life's work is to be my dog's servant, pay his rent, drive him to the park, and keep his food bowl full!
kiacker
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:20 pm

:applause: Wow we rock!

Wisper---a box is a box, is a box, is a box...Try it in cardboard and remember that wood is the same but heaver. 8) And the power tools are so much better.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jmtk » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi ladies!

My husband and I have always been tent campers, but really enjoyed our “luxury” camping years when we used to sleep in the back of our old Isuzu Trooper with the rear seat removed. No tent to set up or take down and we didn’t care what the weather threw at us. One child changes everything.

I searched for ways to get back to those easy camping days, but realized quickly that it’s much harder when dealing with three people. We looked at pop-up trailers, pop-up campers and T@Bs, but didn’t want to buy a gas-guzzling, expensive, special vehicle to haul a trailer or accommodate a camper. Then I found teardrops and the obsession began.

The teardrop concept was perfect for us – no camp setup/takedown, build it light and it could be towed with our little Subaru, it could sleep the three of us, and it could hold a comfortable bed to appease my arthritic back.

Countless hours reading, planning and designing, followed by almost 500 hours of build-time, my trailer is essentially complete! It was camp-able by last Thanksgiving, and we’ve enjoyed two trips in it so far. It’s a real rush when we’re camping and my husband proudly tells admiring visitors, “My wife built it!”

I look forward to meeting you all some day!

Jeanette

jmtk
Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:23 pm

Lisa, that's cool! about your grandfather's skills he passed on.
I built mine in the shop that my carpenter dad had built, and used some of the wood he had left behind and his level, and such... he passed away five years ago.
I am hoping that I have some of those good carpenter genes in me! haha

I definitely know what I would different if another one is built, but I want to just enjoy mine for a while.... we'll see if I build another!

Hope all you chicks will be at Minden in June !!!!!!! I'll bring the wine!!!
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby NutmegJoe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:34 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:Hope all you chicks will be at Minden in June !!!!!!! I'll bring the wine!!!

I know Pam (w/her Cherry Drop) and I will be at Minden. Looking forward to meeting all of you...and sharing a glass or two (or three) of wine!! :wine party:
It'll be awesome to meet everyone in person finally!!
Shelly
--------------
"Do what you like,
Like what you do"

NutmegJoe
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:30 pm

Greetings!! :wakka wakka:

Mary K here. I am about 66% complete with my build. Hoping to be finished in 3 months.

First layer on the hatch...yes thats wood filler..I made a hole with the staple gun :oops:

I have to say a BIG Thank You to all the women (and men) folk here on the forum for all the advice and support they have given me.

Best Regards,

Mary K.
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Juli n Bill » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Bill and I built our Teardrop together. It was my idea, I wouldn't tent camp in the big campgrounds anymore and sleeping in the back of the big truck wasn't that much better. I did all the research, found the parts (windows, stove, door hardware, etc.) and we worked together to create the final design. I'm no stranger to power tools, half the tools in our garage are mine. :) The thing that gets me kind of annoyed though, is everyone assumes Bill built the tear himself. :x
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:50 pm

Juli n Bill wrote: The thing that gets me kind of annoyed though, is everyone assumes Bill built the tear himself. :x

Yea, I can imagine. :Oh Brother:

You should have used Pink aluminum. :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby emiller » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:04 pm

Hey just because I'm the one posting here and not my wife doesn't mean
she didn't do anything. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't have a teardrop and because of her I built 4 now and she was the one that decorated my tears. Also my 27 year old beautiful daughter helped me build some of it.
I'm a lucky guy
8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:32 pm

asianflava wrote:Hey Joanne, is the Dawg gonna be ready to bring out to Robber's Roost?

Hey Rocky!!

Now you got me thinking. The gathering is on the last day of my bread baking class but I might be able to take the test early. I know that Steve (sdtripper) is planning on heading up that way and we have been talking about camping in the Valley of Fire on his way up. Hmmmm.....

The trailer only needs a couple of minor jobs to be usable. Well, that and new tires.

I'll get back with you. I LOVED the IRG so I'm sure it would be even more fun if I could bring my trailer with me on this one. :lol:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:12 pm

Hello to all the lady builders....................it was awesome for Joanne to start this thread. The weather here in Cleveland has been great for the last 4 days so I got a chance to put on the last coat of spar urethane. Like Madjack recently posted "it takes 90% of your time to finish the last 10% of your build" and he's right on with that prediction. As soon as the weatherstipping is in place I can't wait for it to rain and test the td out before sliding in the mattress.

Here's what I got a chance to do over the last few days....................

The cabin is real simple.............Found these great walnut hooks(.99) and shelves($3.50) from Ikea. Found these items in the bathroom collection. Gotta love that store. When I visit my sister in NY she's nice enough to drive me there to shop!!!!
Here's another great item from Ikea.......part of their closet organizer that I'm using for a shoe box for my sandals. It's nylon and easy to wipe out.
Today I finished working out the test bumper.....stain and all. Then I finished off an additional shelf to hold drawer slide outs that I found at Tuesday morning. Just enough for smaller kitchen stuff.
Close up of drawer.

I can't wait for that first trip and I know it's right around the corner. I hope to learn enough about electric to install a system but I'm happy to hit the road with my battery tap lights for now.

Take care gals...................hope to meet you at a camp ground sometime down the road!!!!!!

Barb
Life is Good TD...........98% done!
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby catrinka » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:06 pm

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone at Minden. I have a few little things to 'tweek' on my trailer before then, all I need is some spring type weather!!! But it does give me lots of time for planning.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby martha24 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:21 pm

Hi Ladies,
What a nice thread!
I’m not quite at the point to post some more pictures. By the end of the week the walls should be up. Right now we are spraying the inside walls with polyurethane. Last weekend we went south and hit HF and bought a paint sprayer just like Joanne’s. That is the greatest thing. We started spraying today.
This is a joint build between myself & my husband. I do more of the design planning, finding parts, buying parts, reading posts – though my husband does his share too as this forum has lots of good information and ideas and I do the writing of posts. My husband does more of the building and I do more of the finish work, as I’ve refinished some furniture before. I’ll do the parts that need sewing too. I also tend to play the part of general supervisor. :lol:
Our newest update is our wheels and in some ways one could say we’re building the tear around them. First picture in primer state with old tires and next one updated!
We are hoping to make it to Shasta. We need to have the exterior mainly done, so hopefully. That would be a really good test drive as our finish goal is to take it to South Dakota (by Rapid City) in early August?? when our son in the Air Force gets back from his temporary duty in the Middle East. Last time we made the trip in Sept. 05, we slept in a tent along the way! Enough of that and we just about froze in Wyoming. In the picture before our side, is one of the reasons why we drive. Our dog Goldie is almost 13 and doesn’t do well being left.
Hope to meet many of you at some point.
Martha :)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:31 pm

martha24 wrote:Image

SAAAAWEEEEET!!!!

WOW!! Thoes are some nice wheels!!!! :clapping hands:

I think I'm envious..... :envious:

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers