Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Dewi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:30 am

It'd have to be a weekend thing or holidays... my eldest doesn't live with me full time. He tried out in cubs a couple of years back, but didn't really feel like he fitted in... it was a shame because he is a talented lad and I think he would have enjoyed earning badges and stuff.

Have a daughter due in June, so that should add something to the mix... be a couple of years off, but there'll be 3 kids with me on the camping trip then... don't s'pose I'll have time to be worried at that point :lol:

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby robertaw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:58 am

CAJUN LADY wrote: That's why I could never camp in bear country....

http://www.fbnewsleader.com/articles/2009/07/29/news/00newsbearonisland.txt

:shock:
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:18 pm

robertaw wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote: That's why I could never camp in bear country....

http://www.fbnewsleader.com/articles/2009/07/29/news/00newsbearonisland.txt

:shock:

Great!...now I can scratch off camping at Ft. Clinch again! :(

Roberta, you are close to bear country...they like Ocala National Forest.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:43 pm

I'm sure it was a freak incident. I just couldn't resist kidding you abou it :R

We do have lots of bears around here. I lived the last 20 years in WV mountains aka bear country and never actually saw one until I moved here. The state parks there have lots of "bear" rules about food and trash and such.

Moved here and have seen TWO live ones and one dead one on the road close to home!! Plus a freakin' bobcat in my YARD on night!

Funny, when I moved here my big fear was alligators and I haven't seen one of those yet!
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:23 pm

robertaw wrote:I'm sure it was a freak incident. I just couldn't resist kidding you abou it :R

We do have lots of bears around here. I lived the last 20 years in WV mountains aka bear country and never actually saw one until I moved here. The state parks there have lots of "bear" rules about food and trash and such.

Moved here and have seen TWO live ones and one dead one on the road close to home!! Plus a freakin' bobcat in my YARD on night!

Funny, when I moved here my big fear was alligators and I haven't seen one of those yet!

Wildlife and Game officers removed a 9' gator from the pond across the street from me about 2 weeks ago. Said she was protecting her nest of eggs.

When they were building our house (21 years ago) a 10' gator decided to chill in our front yard under the oak tree. The contractor drove up and didn't notice it until he was halfway up the sidewalk and heard it hiss. The neighbors just happened to see him when he was high-stepping it back to his truck. :lol:

Sorry to hear about the dead bear. I don't like them one bit but I don't like to see them hurt either. Bobcats are some mean little buggers. It used to give me chills when I'd hear them sream when I used to hunt. :frightened:

BTW, I'm really enjoying your build blog.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:44 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:
Wildlife and Game officers removed a 9' gator from the pond across the street from me about 2 weeks ago. Said she was protecting her nest of eggs.

BTW, I'm really enjoying your build blog.

Yikes!! :shock: That is terrifying to me. Even more so than bears. I think it's partially due to that fact that I lived most of my life in the north where we didn't have them.

I'm glad you are enjoying my blog! I love to look at trailer build blogs also. I've gotten lots of good ideas from them and they inspire me whenever I get to wondering what have I gotten myslef into. :D
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby robertaw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:02 pm

I've camped many times alone with my kids before the days of cell phones and panic buttons and have never had any incidents.

Now, many true crime books and tv shows later, it scares me to think about it. We were tent campers until my youngest kids were in their teens so that makes it double scary!

I never armed myself with anything back in those days. I am, however, an insomniac so I was alert most of the nights keeping an ear on things.

Now I am much more paranoid. I don't have to worry about the kids anymore so I have to start worrying about the grandkids! We have a camping trip planned in October that includes my 6 month old grandson. I would like to put up an electric fence around the site but will probably settle for some bear spray.
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:09 pm

robertaw wrote:I've camped many times alone with my kids before the days of cell phones and panic buttons and have never had any incidents.

Now, many true crime books and tv shows later, it scares me to think about it. We were tent campers until my youngest kids were in their teens so that makes it double scary!

I never armed myself with anything back in those days. I am, however, an insomniac so I was alert most of the nights keeping an ear on things.

Now I am much more paranoid. I don't have to worry about the kids anymore so I have to start worrying about the grandkids! We have a camping trip planned in October that includes my 6 month old grandson. I would like to put up an electric fence around the site but will probably settle for some bear spray.

I miss the good ole' days of not being afraid of anything when camping. Now you have to worry about 2 legged psycho's. Pretty sad huh.

Where are you going camping? I would recommend Ft. Clinch if you haven't been there. Except for the bear :frightened:, it is a beautiful park. Lots to do too . . . camping, hiking, visit the Fort, beach, fishing, crabbing -- a very nice campground. And a great bathroom/shower house. One of my favorite parks (except for the bear).
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:12 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:

Where are you going camping? I would recommend Ft. Clinch

We're going to Ft. Clinch :D We made reservations awhile back. We have been there lots of times...we even go on day trips. It's my favorite FL spot so far. I love that it's wooded camping on the river but still at the beach. The best of both worlds!

Then we are going somewhere near Destin in April. I've never been there yet & forget the name of the place. :oops: My daughter made the reservations for us...it's a big family get together.
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:42 pm

robertaw wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote:

Where are you going camping? I would recommend Ft. Clinch

We're going to Ft. Clinch :D We made reservations awhile back. We have been there lots of times...we even go on day trips. It's my favorite FL spot so far. I love that it's wooded camping on the river but still at the beach. The best of both worlds!

Then we are going somewhere near Destin in April. I've never been there yet & forget the name of the place. :oops: My daughter made the reservations for us...it's a big family get together.

Ah Spring Break in Destin is something to see. A spectator sport for sure. 8) We stayed at Ft. Walton a few miles down the road and not as "student" busy..............Enjoy!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby robertaw » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:03 am

Miriam C. wrote:
Ah Spring Break in Destin is something to see.

OH NO!!! :? :cry:

I don't want to be at a spring break destination! I'm going to have to check into this further...
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:18 am

robertaw wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:
Ah Spring Break in Destin is something to see.

OH NO!!! :? :cry:

I don't want to be at a spring break destination! I'm going to have to check into this further...

:lol: When we went we had no idea and continued on. Took forever to get through the crowds crossing the streets. :lol: Truly a spectators sport.

Honestly I have no idea when Spring break is but the beaches are fantastic in that area.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Yep, spring break in Destin is a site to see. It usually falls around the week of Easter, or should I say week before and week after.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:52 pm

I found out Spring Break 2010 is in March! :woohoo: Early March for northern colleges and late March for southern ones.

We're going to St. Andrews State Park and not until April. :phew:
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby eveningprimrose » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:34 am

CAJUN LADY wrote:Someone knocked on my camper late, late Saturday night so I turned off the light, looked out the curtains and no one was there. And yes, I was wide awake. There was 3 knocks so I know someone was there. (unless raccoons can knock).
Funny story: About ten years ago (before I met my husband), I was living in a little cabin in the woods, by myself. Well, like a fool, I loved the raccoons, and fed them dog food, every night. They told all of their friends and neighbors to come to my house at sunset, for a dog food feast...there were a bunch of them.

Well, one evening I got busy and didn't get out to feed them. I had a wooden locking door and a screen door that was latched with a hook. I heard someone knocking on my screen door. So, I opened the wooden door and there was a raccoon standing on the bottom ledge of the screen door, with his front paws on the middle ledge, and he was trying to open that screen door (but it was latched).

I laughed myself silly at the thought of a raccoon knocking on my door, telling me that I was way past due, for dinner time.

I eventually quit feeding the little critters, because of reasons that would make another thread. Don't ever feed raccoons! :thumbdown:
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers